Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mazda made a pickup truck? TIL what was it called? No badge on the back.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

FORD re-badged them under the name Ranger with the 2 & 2.3L engine. Ed
    Last edited by erhayes; 02-17-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by erhayes View Post
    FORD re-badged them under the name Ranger with the 2 & 2.3L engine. Ed
    I’m sure I had a lemon but no lemon laws back then. If I’m not mistaken that was the Cologne 2.8. Four ECU modules, assorted electrical issues, throttle body issues, and it blew headlights so often I kept spares.

I should have bought the Datsun I mentioned earlier.

2016 CX-5 Sport MT6

I had a B2000 Sundowner from the early 80's. It was alright for a basic truck. The 92 Ranger I had later was a better truck.

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Puyapim View Post
    Iím sure I had a lemon but no lemon laws back then. If Iím not mistaken that was the Cologne 2.8. Four ECU modules, assorted electrical issues, throttle body issues, and it blew headlights so often I kept spares.

I should have bought the Datsun I mentioned earlier.
    The Cologne 2.8 was a Ford design (I think - it was pretty old, production started in 1974). Eventually the 4.0 addressed a lot of its issues. IIRC, the Ranger's manual transmission was a Mazda and a lot of the body engineering was Mazda since it was based on a redesigned Courier - which was built in Japan and shipped over with the beds separate.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by craigo View Post
    The Cologne 2.8 was a Ford design (I think - it was pretty old, production started in 1974). Eventually the 4.0 addressed a lot of its issues. IIRC, the Ranger's manual transmission was a Mazda and a lot of the body engineering was Mazda since it was based on the Courier - which was built in Japan and shipped over with the beds separate.

That might explain the Yamaha stamp since perhaps Mazda had them doing some contract work. The body and frame held up fine. It was the engine that was the source of most of the anguish. On top of that, Ford service dept that didn’t seem to really know anything.

Anyway it’s past history.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    The B2600 looked a lot like the Mitsubishi Might Max back in the 80's... although most of those trucks looked the same from my memory...Toyota..Nissan. Isuzu Pup

'15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 50K Miles - https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/ (30% off "shipping" with code "MAZDAS247")

2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

Do you think they are related to each other?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    The B2600 looked a lot like the Mitsubishi Might Max back in the 80's... although most of those trucks looked the same from my memory...Toyota..Nissan. Isuzu Pup

Some things never change. Many say most cars look alike today. Ironically, the Mazda B2600 had the Mitsubishi 2.6 engine in it.

Japanese automotive sharing is quite prevalent. That is even more true today as Japan has their Big 3 in Toyota, Honda and Renault-Nissan although the last one is disputable. Toyota and R-N own pretty much the rest of the automakers in one form or another.

'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by GJ-Molestor View Post
    Do you think they are related to each other?
    Not related but because Mitsubishi/Chrysler was late to the party, they "copied" the B2600

2017 CX-5, GT AWD w/Premium Pkg Eternal Blue Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    One of my uncles had a new B2600i back in '91 IIRC. I think the pre-EFI motors on this 2600 were made by Mitsubishi but the EFI in the 2600i was an actual Mazda motor.
    I had a '91 B2600i which was a 2WD. First year they offered the Mitsubishi 2600 in the 2WD model. Mine had the automatic and was the SE-5 trim. Bought it new in '91 then salvaged it in 2015. Body had totally rusted through making road noise unbearable.

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Puyapim View Post
    Some things never change. Many say most cars look alike today. Ironically, the Mazda B2600 had the Mitsubishi 2.6 engine in it.

Japanese automotive sharing is quite prevalent. That is even more true today as Japan has their Big 3 in Toyota, Honda and Renault-Nissan although the last one is disputable. Toyota and R-N own pretty much the rest of the automakers in one form or another.
    All the automakers share and trade amongst each other. Ford and Mazda still operate a joint plant in Asia - where the rest of the world has been getting their Rangers and Mazda trucks from for the past decade. And then of course many parts and pieces of technology are actually made by suppliers who service multiple customers.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by craigo View Post
    All the automakers share and trade amongst each other. Ford and Mazda still operate a joint plant in Asia - where the rest of the world has been getting their Rangers and Mazda trucks from for the past decade. And then of course many parts and pieces of technology are actually made by suppliers who service multiple customers.

Actually that joint operation is folding. Mazda just signed an agreement with Isuzu to make pickups.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234