I - Stop .........Off!

:
2018 CX-5 GT
Just had the first 1,000 klm free service done on the cx-5 and i mentioned to the sales lady who sold us the car that l didn't like the fact that the I'-Stop feature was the default setting on the car.

She then said she would speak to the service person to inquire about de-activation.
I already was thinking that even if they could de-activate it, from a legal point of view, they may not.

When she arrived back, my thoughts were confirmed, however ............... l was told in a hush hush manner that IF l was to take the cx5 to some other auto electrician, they could go to the I-Stop feature and change the default setting to 'OFF' ............ thus, completing my request. Great!

Get this ...................... I didn't not need to do this.
Since getting the cx5 back, l immediately noticed on the dash that the 'green' I-Stop illumination was missing.
There was no 'orange' I-Stop illumination either!

Since driving the cx5, there has been no stopping of the engine either.

Looks like my requests have been met on the quiet.
Happy Days!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot for the life of me, think why you should want to disable something that saves fuel and cuts emissions (shrug)

I like i-stop. I knew exactly how much foot pressure was required not to activate it if I needed to do a sudden take off.

Also agree, made a difference in fuel consumption figures. I regularly averaged less that official city and combined figures and I am sure i-stop helped a bit.

I cannot for the life of me, think why you should want to disable something that saves fuel and cuts emissions (shrug)
I experienced BMWs equivalent when I was using a car sharing service. I don't think there is any logical reason to do it. But I can say it bothered me for some reason. Knowing the engine was off. And hearing it start at every stop light aggravated me for basically no reason.

I don't understand why I had that reaction. If my cx-5 had it I would consider turning it off if I never adjusted to having it.

Thing is more and more manufactures are installing i-stop equivalents on their vehicles. Seems an easy way to reduce consumption for them.

So becoming mainstream

I experienced BMWs equivalent when I was using a car sharing service. I don't think there is any logical reason to do it. But I can say it bothered me for some reason. Knowing the engine was off. And hearing it start at every stop light aggravated me for basically no reason.

I don't understand why I had that reaction. If my cx-5 had it I would consider turning it off if I never adjusted to having it.

It does take a bit of getting used to I must admit. It was good on my 2016 but when coupled with the auto hold I find it superb. It’s very fast, very smooth and I quite like the silence when waiting at a light.

It does take a bit of getting used to I must admit. It was good on my 2016 but when coupled with the auto hold I find it superb. It’s very fast, very smooth and I quite like the silence when waiting at a light.

And to think the diesel version's i-stop is different to the petrol version's

Why?

Consider this ...... My good lady was doing a 3 point turn and the engine cut off whilst doing so..... very annoying.

Again, call me old school or whatever but l will never get my head around the fact that this process must cause some wear & tear, which will result in added maintenance costs further down the road.

Anyway, we all have our thoughts on the matter and we can never expect to agree on everything, so it is what it is.

Why?

Consider this ...... My good lady was doing a 3 point turn and the engine cut off whilst doing so..... very annoying.

Again, call me old school or whatever but l will never get my head around the fact that this ’process’ must cause some wear & tear, which will result in added maintenance costs further down the road.

Anyway, we all have our thoughts on the matter and we can never expect to agree on everything, so it is what it is.

Adjust foot pressure. Done plenty of 3 point turns with no engine cut out.

Not much wear & tear compared to other brands as doesn't use the starter motor for petrol engines:

Idling Stop Technology

As you said, each to their own

I rented a vehicle with the istop feature for about a month. It drove me crazy for the first day or so until I found the button that turned it off. So it became the habit to start the car then push that button. This was a Fiat Chrysler Pacifica. ( total junk)

The system was very eager to turn off. Pulling up in our driveway the engine would shut off before I could shift from drive to park. Of course as soon as I did shift to park with the dial-a-matic transmission the engine restarted then shut off a couple of seconds later.

How much fuel is really saved? The wear and tear likely overrides any gains. In stop and go traffic of 30-50 miles on a freeway, I wonder how many times that engine restarts?

The fact that the CX5 did not come with auto stop in the us is one reason we bought it.

How much fuel is really saved? The wear and tear likely overrides any gains. In stop and go traffic of 30-50 miles on a freeway, I wonder how many times that engine restarts?

I don't believe it does. I-stop has been here since 2012 and if there was more wear and tear, people would be bringing this matter up by now.

We get traffic snarls here on a regular basis and i-stop worked well and components didn't appear to suffer

Anyway some people like it, others don't and that is fine.

Last edited:
i-stop .........Off!

Just had the first 1,000 klm free service done on the cx-5 and i mentioned to the sales lady who sold us the car that l didn't like the fact that the I'-Stop feature was the default setting on the car.

She then said she would speak to the service person to inquire about de-activation.
I already was thinking that even if they could de-activate it, from a legal point of view, they may not.

When she arrived back, my thoughts were confirmed, however ............... l was told in a hush hush manner that IF l was to take the cx5 to some other auto electrician, they could go to the I-Stop feature and change the default setting to 'OFF' ............ thus, completing my request. Great!

Get this ...................... I didn't not need to do this.
Since getting the cx5 back, l immediately noticed on the dash that the 'green' I-Stop illumination was missing.
There was no 'orange' I-Stop illumination either!

Since driving the cx5, there has been no stopping of the engine either.

Looks like my requests have been met on the quiet.
Happy Days!!!!!!!!!!
Did the Mazda dealer actually “disable” your i-stop or just change the default i-stop setting to off and you still can activate the system if you want to by press the i-stop button?

I’d prefer the latter.

There is definitely a lot of engineering that goes into mitigating any additional wear and tear. They don’t just use the same engine with start stop software. There are actual mechanical differences as well. Not saying it’s not possible for the automaker to bungle it. However Mazda’s system has been around long enough I think we would know if they did.

Did the Mazda dealer actually “disable” your i-stop or just change the default i-stop setting to off and you still can activate the system if you want to by press the i-stop button?

I’d prefer the latter.

I can only assume the service mechanic changed the default setting to 'off'.
Whereas you would normally have a green light for 'on' and an orange light for 'off' ........... it currently shows no lighting.

There is definitely a lot of engineering that goes into mitigating any additional wear and tear. They don’t just use the same engine with start stop software. There are actual mechanical differences as well. Not saying it’s not possible for the automaker to bungle it. However Mazda’s system has been around long enough I think we would know if they did.

Correct and they make one of the better ones - fast response and less jerking from stop to start

Why?

Again, call me old school or whatever but l will never get my head around the fact that this process must cause some wear & tear, which will result in added maintenance costs further down the road.

It wont cut out on a three point turn any more than it will turning out at a junction. I wasnt aware of how it works on the gasoline engine until I read x8s link but even on my diesel everything has been catered for to withstand multiple starts. It makes no more sense than disabling the power steering because the drive motor might wear out.

Like you say, its up to you but disabling a function designed to save fuel and emissions - the only way they could meet type approval regs seems a backward step. Old dogs and new tricks comes to mind.

At a junction, by adjusting foot pressure, you can prevent i-stop from engaging thereby allowing instaneous throttle response.

At a junction, by adjusting foot pressure, you can prevent i-stop from engaging thereby allowing instaneous throttle response.

This istop on the 17 is so fast it wouldn’t slow you down anyway. I thing if you put ear plugs in and covered the Rev counter, you’d be hard pressed to know it had stopped even in a hurry. I do like how you can control it with the brake though.

Back