I - Stop .........Off!

Toyota started Prius hybrid since 1997, it has been 21 years of reputation for reliability and low maintenance cost!

Stop-start system on Toyota Prius hybrid or any other hybrid is a totally different system than ICE stop-start system like Mazda i-stop. Hybrid uses the big drive motor where the axial is attached to the engine crankshaft to start the engine. The reliability of frequent stop-start the engine is a non-issue due to the same axial used by both engine and motor、no additional moving parts、and much more powerful motor to start the engine!

Can’t compare these 2 systems. :)

The changes to the engine to deal with the frequent restarts such as special coatings on the crank etc is similar and mentioned in the edmunds article. Yes the way the engine is started is different. But so is a car without start stop. You’ll also hear start stop systems referee to as mild hybrid.

I believe the document on i-stop by Mazda is vague about whether or not the starter is used to re-start the engine in its i-stop. Once I asked Anchorman on this and his document does show the starter is involved to re-start the engine every time in an SA-G petro engine.

i-stop and Clean Diesel Engines

"Unlike gasoline engines, which use a spark plug to ignite the air-fuel mixture, diesel engines compress the mixture until it spontaneously combusts. Therefore, to restart a diesel engine, sufficient compression is required.

While conventional diesel engine idling stop systems require two engine cycles to restart, Mazda's unique i-stop needs just one cycle, thanks to its precise control of the piston positions. As a result, i-stop achieves the world's fastest diesel engine restart time of approximately 0.40 seconds (internal measurement on vehicles with automatic transmission) and its operation is barely noticeable.

i-stop offers a quick engine restart and a natural operation with little vibration and noise.
"

I think I remember reading and seeing clips advising the Mazda diesel doesn't have spark plugs (happy to be corrected). Hence it is possible that the diesel uses the starter motor more to initiate re-start

Last edited:
i-stop .........Off!

i-stop and Clean Diesel Engines
No doubt Mazdas i-stop is the best among all stop-start systems implemented on petro and diesel engines due to its unique design. On the other hand Mazdas cylinder deactivation system has nothing special to talk about it. Id take i-stop any day over cylinder deactivation! :)

And just to be clear I’m not saying you won’t be annoyed by it or you shouldn’t turn it off. That’s personal preference. I’m just saying this shouldn’t be considered a reliability issue. There is no evidence Mazda has done a poor job with their R&D on this.

No doubt Mazda’s i-stop is the best among all stop-start systems implemented on petro and diesel engines due to its unique design. On the other hand Mazda’s cylinder deactivation system has nothing special to talk about it. I’d take i-stop any day over cylinder deactivation! :)
I'll take both please

And just to be clear I’m not saying you won’t be annoyed by it or you shouldn’t turn it off. That’s personal preference. I’m just saying this shouldn’t be considered a reliability issue. There is no evidence Mazda has done a poor job with their R&D on this.
(iagree)

i-stop only works when the interior temperature actually reaches the set climate control temperature. Until it does, i-stop will not engage but when it does, it works as per normal.
This doesn't happen to me. I can feel the heat after a minute or so and iStop still doesn't activate. Sir can you kindly post the link where you got this info so I can also review it.

Back