Infotainment Hack

It's pretty idiot proof. The only way to really screw it up is to pull it out while it's working.

Thanks for clarifying. There is some bad info out there, rumors and fake news about what AIO does. Some claim you can disable ABS or SCB, which is complete nonsense. All the AIO does is what one does on their home computer when they customize it. Imagine if you bought an Apple or HP desktop and they refused you to customize your home screen. How lame would that be? Well, that's what Mazda did.

Like you said, once the serial access is done, it renables the USB so access can be done via USB going forward.

Mazda turned off USB access via the update, which is lame but that's what they did. So the software programmers found a way through the serial port in the back. The AIO accesses that.

I did the AIO on my 2016 but that was easier since I used the USB port. The AIO made the Infotainment system work much faster and easier. It's lame how the Nav is locked out once you drive in the OEM firmware. Who locks out the Nav? So stupid but that's Mazda programming.

Actually many auto makers lock out touch screen while driving. They do allow for voice commands. I hate it, but not unique to mazda.

And it's all open source. No one is hiding the code. After you create the USB folder you can go in and read the code if you know Linux. Or know how to Google Linux commands.
Instead of you having to type in
(Go-to this directory)
(Create this folder)
(Copy this graphic)
The AIO tool does that for you through a GUI.
That's why I don't get the IT Professional being against this. It's all there to dissect if you know how, or want to learn. You know what a GUI is, Iskie. It's all open. So many nerds have been all over that code, we'd know if it was doing anything sketchy. You could write all the code yourself too.
If it was closed and we should just be expected to trust this dude? Yea, no. But hell he's getting paid for this. I gave him $5. He doesn't want to screw that up. LOL
I just hope he's sharing with the guys that helped.
Hell, if I was Mazda, I'd hire these guys. [emoji3]

Speaking of which I think I need to change my wallpaper. (Now I'm just rubbing it in)
I will give Jeep that much: they at least let you choose from like 12 wallpapers. Couldn't even do that much, Mazda? People like to customize!

Last edited:
That's why I don't get the IT Professional being against this. [emoji3]

I am not against it. If you look elsewhere on the forum, I have effectively said that I would like to see Mazda allow a plugin ecosystem.

I simply think that it's too risky to make mods to the system at this point as I would have to pull apart the console. The hacks aren't worth the risk of being told that my Infotainment system isn't under warranty or making a mess of the console - I'm a bit of a klutz. I can live with the limitations of the infotainment system easily enough. If I need to hack something, I have several Raspberry Pi machines that I can mess up with little risk to me. As well as a load of Virtual Machines that I can mess up and regenerate very easily. The car, not so much.

My Honda Element I did a lot of mods on because I didn't need to pull the console apart and I could cover up most of my mistakes. Elsie was likely the only Element with a leather shift boot and Momo shift knob, custom stainless steel and carbon fibre parking brake cover, Momo pedals, hardwired dashcam, stainless steel radiator grill, replacement metal antenna, custom bungee cord seatbacks and more. Looked great, level of risk low.

So that you know my background, I'm working on implementing DevOps tooling in a bank. We're working out the sweet spot between having a working system that our clients can use and giving our developers tools that will help them work more efficiently and in deliver in shorter iterations. We are using open source but we're also dealing with all of the vulnerability scans that we are required to run and the inevitable fixes that are required because of these scans. Open Source does not solve every problem. It does requires us to have a much level of diligence and a much greater rate of patching. My work makes me risk adverse by nature.

I do agree there's no way I'd pull the dash apart. I simply suck at that kind of stuff.

The AIO doesn't mess with SBC or anything like that. It's about allowing Android Auto and more user adjustability in the display of the unit. It does NOT mess with SBCS or any of those items. Once you access the unit, it then allows access via the USB port. Mazda turned off the USB port access and the AIO allows USB access.

Go to the AIO info center and find one thing that shows they mess with SCB or any of those functions. You won't find it because it doesn't exist. If you wanted to mess with that you can easily go through the OBDII port underneath the dash. That would be 100x easier to hack than the infotainment. OBDII ports on the Mazda or any new vehicle allow access into the computers brain, not the Infotainment system.

I call BS on the dealer. You might have overheard things incorrectly. Most dealers would have NO CLUE about the AIO hack.

How did you hear about the Infotainment issue while at the dealer?

I agree with you - 100%. There's a Mazda Corp. bulletin which says to dealers discussing these hacks. Using which the dealer refused.
Thanks - didn't know about re-enabling USB access. Good to know. Thanks. Stand corrected. Serial cable then no more required unless user foolishly upgraded again firmware issued by Mazda.

Last edited:
Per Mazda Worldwide:

Also customizations do not impact functions other than Connect. (Driving functions, for example, cannot be affected.)

So even Mazda admits that the AIO does NOT impact driving functions, just the infotainment display functions.

Per Mazda Worldwide:

Also customizations do not impact functions other than Connect. (Driving functions, for example, cannot be affected.)
AIO automated the manual hacks. By itself AIO is fine, the issue was users could access the entire file system if they manually did things. There were some bricked units due to some improper manual commands being run. And with the serial hack, there is the possibility of bricking the unit if you run commands wrong prior to AIO.

So yes, AIO is low risk, but while someone has shell access, they can screw up a lot if they do something wrong.

If mazda had just created a walled garden, and left access to some files while locking down others, they could have made all happy.

So even Mazda admits that the AIO does NOT impact driving functions, just the infotainment display functions.

After reading the entire threads on going through the motion of installing hack on infotainment and all of the benefits that could be obtained, I am happier that I decided to continue being a Mazda owner. Previous Mazda vehicle models were great but did not allow me to enter the world of technology as my Mazda CX5 has.
What is the method recommended to evaluate any risks involved with performing infotainment hack on my 2014 CX5? Check software version first? I am a newbie at this, so I want to explore the option and find out if this mod if feasible or not. Any advice will be deeply appreciated.

I did it to my '16.5. If you turn on too much stuff the nav voice will stutter and sometimes the Bluetooth music. I turned off the compass and speedo and the rest works well. I still haven't found the correct video format to watch movies, but it WILL play surround audio.

2v2JJD2sNxAAg5C.png

This is what Mazda should do from the factory but they don't. That's why AIO hacks exist because the system should be more user adjustable and have more options.

I need that for my car. Will read into it.

This is my first post on this forum but an old hand at this stuff, "Old" being the operative term, here.

I really miss being able to have my co-pilot enter info into my Nav while we are moving. Just that one tweak alone, was beneficial for me. The rest of the benefits from AIO were fun but I ended up removing most of them.

In other words, not having it in my brand new CX-5 is something I will have to get used to. And for that very reason, I will not allow my MX-5 Miata Infotainment system to be upgraded.

I understand that there is a hack for my current MX-5 system so that upgrading will not harm the current AIO settings but I figure, why bother.

Perhaps someday soon, the powers to be will allow us to have the ability to use AIO in our current CX-5 systems or perhaps someone will come along and figure out an easy hack, rather than having to tie into the back of our units with a good chance of bricking it.

BTW, I traded my 15 VW Tiguan for the current CX-5 Grand Touring. I really like this new version a lot. It's not nearly as peppy as the VW 2.0 Turbo was but is a bit larger and has better technology aboard.

This is about my wife's 2016. Not sure if it's a 2016.5 or not. Her infotainment center to me is one big joke. Start the car, wait for the "I agree" message to appear and click before you can do anything. Really?
OK, now lets try the Navigation. Loading... loading... see a map, but wait, reloading... reloading... OK, now lets try to reboot. Backspace, volume button, Nav button. Reboot... press Nav, loading... see a map, reloading...

It's not my vehicle, but you'd expect the darn thing to work.

I never see reloading. That message in the beginning is annoying as ****. Glad I hacked that away. It makes no sense either. "Do not operate while driving"...you lock it out! I can't if I wanted to! Happy I hacked mine. Do you know what version you're on?

Damn. I might have to invest in an android based HU with OBD2 connectivity.

This is about my wife's 2016. Not sure if it's a 2016.5 or not. Her infotainment center to me is one big joke. Start the car, wait for the "I agree" message to appear and click before you can do anything. Really?
OK, now lets try the Navigation. Loading... loading... see a map, but wait, reloading... reloading... OK, now lets try to reboot. Backspace, volume button, Nav button. Reboot... press Nav, loading... see a map, reloading...

It's not my vehicle, but you'd expect the darn thing to work.

Please get to your dealer and get an update under warranty before you are out of it. I'm on version 59.00.502 NA N and don't see any of the problems you describe. The nag screen is gone by the time I get backed out of the garage. I use the Nav quite often and never have a problem with it loading. And if a software update doesn't fix it they should check the hardware. The MZD system isn't perfect but it's better than you describe.

Please get to your dealer and get an update under warranty before you are out of it. I'm on version 59.00.502 NA N and don't see any of the problems you describe. The nag screen is gone by the time I get backed out of the garage. I use the Nav quite often and never have a problem with it loading. And if a software update doesn't fix it they should check the hardware. The MZD system isn't perfect but it's better than you describe.

I'm holding off on the .502 update until I decide to do the hack or not. Early on she had her car in several times relating to the NAV and bluetooth conecting to her phone. They did an update and it worked good. She doesn't use the NAV unless she goes out of town, which she did last week. She let me know about the NAV not working when she returned. That's when I went out and tried to reboot it several times. Thus my rant of having to wait for the "I agree" screen. As for our local Mazda dealer - they totally bite the big one. Service is not in their job description. They just don't care! I even called Mazda USA and filed a complaint. I will never go there for any service or to purchase another vehicle. I'd rather drive 180 miles before going to our local Mazda dealer. And, believe me, there are others who feel they same way. All you have to do is look at their reviews.

Damn. I might have to invest in an android based HU with OBD2 connectivity.

I'd put out the cash for a good android HU too. But, from what I've read it's a royal pain and most can't get it to fit very well. OBD2 - correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your HU screen look like something from the Starship Enterprise?

I never see reloading. That message in the beginning is annoying as ****. Glad I hacked that away. It makes no sense either. "Do not operate while driving"...you lock it out! I can't if I wanted to! Happy I hacked mine. Do you know what version you're on?

I had it written down, but I can't find it right now. I do know that her version will accept the hack. I have actually downloaded two different files or batch files. My problem is I'm a little confused on which one to upload. One is MZD-AIO-TI_Setup_2.7.9_Win32. While the other one is a group of files from GitHub. With a little direction I'd probably pull the trigger on the hack.

Last edited:
Back