Infotainment Hack

Pretty much what I said but to be honest, the AIO tool makes it pretty hard to screw up if you can follow directions. It's reversible. The tool checks your system for compatibility before it runs.
Bricks were more common in the pre tool days.

Last edited:
Pretty much what I said but to be honest, the AIO tool makes it pretty hard to screw up if you can follow directions. It's reversible. The tool checks your system for compatibility before it runs.
Bricks were more common in the pre tool days.

True. But software doesn't always perform as intended. And some people are adept at tripping over their own toes. :)

And then there's Murphy's Law....

Good luck to anyone who tries it. Let us know how it goes.

Anyone here try the AIO hack on their 2017+ CX5?

Keep in mind the year doesn't matter - the software version on MC does. If your dealer didn't update the software when you purchased, or you purchased before june (i think) then you would be able to use the USB hack. If your software version has been updated to .502 or .504 then you have to pull the CMU and do the serial hack. Are you asking about the serial cable hack?

What he said. Year is irrelevant.
People with 17's lucky enough to be on an older firmware have had success with this method.

...If your software version has been updated to .502 or .504 then you have to pull the CMU and do the serial hack. Are you asking about the serial cable hack?

I sure wish someone in the Houston, TX area offered the serial cable hack as a service. I got .504 fw on my Dec17 CX-5 and nor am I handy to attempt taking pieces of the dashboard yet, neither Linux savvy.

I guess can keep wishing.... or wait until MZD supports AA/ACP... but not holding my breath on it

Keep in mind the year doesn't matter - the software version on MC does. If your dealer didn't update the software when you purchased, or you purchased before june (i think) then you would be able to use the USB hack. If your software version has been updated to .502 or .504 then you have to pull the CMU and do the serial hack. Are you asking about the serial cable hack?

Yes, I will need to do the serial cable hack. How difficult is that?

The speedo app is an awesome addition. You can see MPH and other data in real time while driving. It's great for those people who DO NOT have HUD. It's almost as good as HUD or even better since you don't have to look down when driving to see the MPH.

Yes, I will need to do the serial cable hack. How difficult is that?

The speedo app is an awesome addition. You can see MPH and other data in real time while driving. It's great for those people who DO NOT have HUD. It's almost as good as HUD or even better since you don't have to look down when driving to see the MPH.

I haven't done it. I have pulled the dash trim off, but i have not pulled out the MC unit, so I don't know how easy it is to get to the back. The serial cable needs to be fabricated, attached, and then connected to a pc. You setup a connection and transfer some files over. If you are not familiar with command line and Linux it may be a little intimidating.

I would not call it better then HUD - HUD requires no looking down or over. HUD puts MPH directly in front of you.

Other forums have pictures and instructions on the serial cable connection and usage. I am going to wait 6 months and see if AA comes, if not then i may tackle this hack then.

AIO installs AA for you. He is saying he will do the cable hack that will allow him to use the AIO to install AA if Mazda doesn't roll it out in 6 months.

AIO installs AA for you. He is saying he will do the cable hack that will allow him to use the AIO to install AA if Mazda doesn't roll it out in 6 months.

I see, where can one get the serial cable from?

The new AIO backs up the firmware so in case of an issue, you can always go back to stock firmware.

Once you access and upload the new AIO, the serial cable can be removed, right? In other words, it's not a permanent attachment right?

I thin so, but some leave it connected if they can in case they want to make other changes. I don't think that the USB port is ever able to be used for AIO updates, but I could be wrong.

Once you access and upload the new AIO, the serial cable can be removed, right? In other words, it's not a permanent attachment right?

You can remove it but:

- when Mazda releases the next firm wire it'll wipe out your hack. Then guess what? In case you want back the hack - you'll need that serial cable again.
- AIO offers other stuff too - in case in future you need to upgrade/add: you'll need the cable.

Here's the worst part : Was in dealership and dealership refused to look at a customer's vehicle whose complaint was SBCS/SBC (whatever) has some error. The default head unit has various settings, etc. which control most of the functions and dealership found a serial cable hacked and the head unit display rather different. Everything - connected to the head unit : can't be addressed in warranty. Do I blame dealership: NO. You play around with the head unit, you accept all responsibility.

You can remove it but:

- when Mazda releases the next firm wire it'll wipe out your hack. Then guess what? In case you want back the hack - you'll need that serial cable again.
- AIO offers other stuff too - in case in future you need to upgrade/add: you'll need the cable.

Here's the worst part : Was in dealership and dealership refused to look at a customer's vehicle whose complaint was SBCS/SBC (whatever) has some error. The default head unit has various settings, etc. which control most of the functions and dealership found a serial cable hacked and the head unit display rather different. Everything - connected to the head unit : can't be addressed in warranty. Do I blame dealership: NO. You play around with the head unit, you accept all responsibility.

The AIO doesn't mess with SBC or anything like that. It's about allowing Android Auto and more user adjustability in the display of the unit. It does NOT mess with SBCS or any of those items. Once you access the unit, it then allows access via the USB port. Mazda turned off the USB port access and the AIO allows USB access.

Go to the AIO info center and find one thing that shows they mess with SCB or any of those functions. You won't find it because it doesn't exist. If you wanted to mess with that you can easily go through the OBDII port underneath the dash. That would be 100x easier to hack than the infotainment. OBDII ports on the Mazda or any new vehicle allow access into the computers brain, not the Infotainment system.

I call BS on the dealer. You might have overheard things incorrectly. Most dealers would have NO CLUE about the AIO hack.

How did you hear about the Infotainment issue while at the dealer?

Last edited:
The AIO doesn't mess with SBC or anything like that. It's about allowing Android Auto and more user adjustability in the display of the unit. It does NOT mess with SBCS or any of those items. Once you access the unit, it then allows access via the USB port. Mazda turned off the USB port access and the AIO allows USB access.

Go to the AIO info center and find one thing that shows they mess with SCB or any of those functions. You won't find it because it doesn't exist. If you wanted to mess with that you can easily go through the OBDII port underneath the dash. That would be 100x easier to hack than the infotainment. OBDII ports on the Mazda or any new vehicle allow access into the computers brain, not the Infotainment system.

I call BS on the dealer. You might have overheard things incorrectly. Most dealers would have NO CLUE about the AIO hack.

How did you hear about the Infotainment issue while at the dealer?

Althought AIO doesn't mess with those functions, it doesn't meant that someone can't mess something up while in there. My understanding is that the MC firmware does control the different safety features and someone that screws up other stuff could affect them. And if the MC head unit needs to be replaced a dealer could refuse to do it under warranty if the problem was user imposed.

Let's clear some things up here:
If your using the AIO hack it is impossible to mess with any of the other stuff. Impossible.
Could a dealer void your warranty, sure. If he wants to be a prick about it. But this person who was denied could have easily rolled his changes back.
As to the cable, once you've hacked version 502/504 with a cable, you don't need it again. The guys working on this have something that can preserve the hacks. So I could run that and have my software (not firmware btw) updated to 504 and my hack would be safe. And once you've hacked it the easiest thing to do is...not get anymore updates. I'm staying on my version now until there's a compelling reason to upgrade...like AA. I haven't seen any features added on any update yet.
"- AIO offers other stuff too - in case in future you need to upgrade/add: you'll need the cable."
No, you won't. Once you do the cable hack it enables the USB port. That's what it does. So you can rerun the AIO from USB as often as you want.

Last edited:
Let's clear some things up here:
If your using the AIO hack it is impossible to mess with any of the other stuff. Impossible.
Could a dealer void your warranty, sure. If he wants to be a prick about it. But this person who was denied could have easily rolled his changes back.
As to the cable, once you've hacked version 502/504 with a cable, you don't need it again. The guys working on this have something that can preserve the hacks. So I could run that and have my software (not firmware btw) updated to 504 and my hack would be safe. And once you've hacked it the easiest thing to do is...not get anymore updates. I'm staying on my version now until there's a compelling reason to upgrade...like AA. I haven't seen any features added on any update yet.
"- AIO offers other stuff too - in case in future you need to upgrade/add: you'll need the cable."
No, you won't. Once you do the cable hack it enables the USB port. That's what it does. So you can rerun the AIO from USB as often as you want.

Thanks for correcting if i mistated about needing cable. I haven’t kept up.

As for messing something up, maybe current versions of AIO are idiot proof, but idiots have bricked their devices.

It's pretty idiot proof. The only way to really screw it up is to pull it out while it's working.

Back