Infotainment Hack

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
I used a downloadable Infotainment upgrade/hack that allowed greater controls of the system back on my 2016. Now I can't find where I downloaded that program. One uses a USB stick and uploads it to the cars USB port.

Any leads on where I can find that program?

So which exact file would I have to download for a 2017 CX5 Touring?

You need to read the material on the download site very carefully. If your firmware gets updated to the latest version you could have serious issues. From what I've read and how often that site is updated, I'd avoid doing the hack.

if your 2017 has been updated past 59-502 (i think) then you can't usb hack anymore. You need to get to back of unit and do a macgyver serial cable.

You need to read the material on the download site very carefully. If your firmware gets updated to the latest version you could have serious issues. From what I've read and how often that site is updated, I'd avoid doing the hack.

What have you read?
That 1000s have safely hacked the infotainment? That's what I've read.
That site is updated frequently as is the thread where it's discussed.

What have you read?
That 1000s have safely hacked the infotainment? That's what I've read. That site is updated frequently as is the thread where it's discussed.

I'm referring to the mazdatweaks site. As alphadog00 explains in more detail, you run the risk that you will need to open up the guts of the car to continue to maintain the hack. Mazda has closed the exploit that allowed the hack to work via USB. Additionally, I have seen reports of someone who bricked the head unit. The dealer refused to fix it under warranty and the owner needed to pay for a complete new unit. I was also told by my dealer that installing the hacks would void my warranty.

This hack is an exploit, which Mazda has taken every opportunity to shutdown in the latest firmware. I believe that their concern is that an exploit such as this could be used to get past the entertainment system into more sensitive areas of the firmware such as the I-Active subsystem.

As an IT professional, I took a look at what is being done and decided it's not worth the risk. It's one thing to change LED lights, add bumper sills and so on. It's another thing altogether to make alternations to the firmware of the vehicle.

iskiE

As an IT Professional myself, I disagree. This is tried and true. Can you brick your headunit? Of course you can. Just like you can brick your phone by rooting it. Read through the 1000s of pages on the other site. Yea, there are some bricks...most user error. But there are literally 1000s of successes. #Proven
If you're at all unsure, don't do it. If you can't take the time to research it and understand it, don't do it.
The code is all laid out there for anyone to check.
And of course Mazda wants to shut it down. Not because they are afraid someone might get into more sensitive areas but because they are being shown up by a handful of dedicated Mazda fans. Period. LOL [emoji41]

As an IT Professional myself, I disagree. This is tried and true. Can you brick your headunit? Of course you can. Just like you can brick your phone by rooting it. Read through the 1000s of pages on the other site. Yea, there are some bricks...most user error. But there are literally 1000s of successes. #Proven
If you're at all unsure, don't do it. If you can't take the time to research it and understand it, don't do it.
And of course Mazda wants to shut it down. Not because they are afraid someone might get into more sensitive areas but because they are being shown up by a handful of dedicated Mazda fans. Period. LOL [emoji41]

Exactly.

I used the hack on my 2016 CX5 Infotainment and it worked perfectly. Never had issues. After the hack, the Infotainment unit worked better, faster, had better adaptability than the OEM version.

Mazda wants to shut it down because it makes Mazda software programmers look bad. The DIY programmers make the Infotainment units better than the Mazda programmers did.

Exactly.

I used the hack on my 2016 CX5 Infotainment and it worked perfectly. Never had issues. After the hack, the Infotainment unit worked better, faster, had better adaptability than the OEM version.

Mazda wants to shut it down because it makes Mazda software programmers look bad. The DIY programmers make the Infotainment units better than the Mazda programmers did.
It is because they are going to release a android auto compatible unit the next year and the have to justify that the next model have any additional technology feature that don't have on any previous year cars (even having the hardware to run it)
New features....new buyers

https://jalopnik.com/code-to-hack-mazdas-with-a-usb-drive-is-now-available-t-1796273570

Could not agree with Jalopnik more on this next point.

"While Mazda has issued a firmware patch last month to remove the vulnerability (fixed with MZD Connect firmware version 59.00.502), in some ways this could be seen as a missed opportunity for Mazda.

If they had embraced the infotainment customization aspect and added security to prevent harmful or dangerous exploits to the car’s engine or control systems, they could have taken a step to being one of the first carmakers to have an open and customizable center stack, something which I think could be more popular among car buyers than most people realize."

That, my friends, would sell some cars.

https://jalopnik.com/code-to-hack-mazdas-with-a-usb-drive-is-now-available-t-1796273570

Could not agree with Jalopnik more on this next point.

"While Mazda has issued a firmware patch last month to remove the vulnerability (fixed with MZD Connect firmware version 59.00.502), in some ways this could be seen as a missed opportunity for Mazda.

If they had embraced the infotainment customization aspect and added security to prevent harmful or dangerous exploits to the car’s engine or control systems, they could have taken a step to being one of the first carmakers to have an open and customizable center stack, something which I think could be more popular among car buyers than most people realize."

That, my friends, would sell some cars.
People that is thinking on open system (like me and you) is just a 1%

Yea but if you lock down the dangerous stuff? Imagine getting a USB drive with your purchase. Insert into PC. Program launches: do you want AA or ACP? Click here. Other apps like Pandora or Spotify? Click here. Add your own wallpaper like your wife, kids, cat? Click here. Add a digital Speedo? Click here. People would eat that up. Cherokee generally gets the best reviews for infotainment and I disagree. But it does give you 12 built-in wallpapers to choose from. It does allow you to customize which icons appear in the home row. Mustang and Camaro let you choose what color your dash is.
People want customization. Give it to us.

What is/was nice with the AIO upgrades is that you could make the Infotainment display vehicle MPH. This is a great feature for those without HUD since you can see the MPH without having to look down, it clearly displays MPH on the Infotainment screen.

I have OS Version 59.00.502 NA-N

2v2JJD2sNxAAg5C.png

2v2JJD2sNxAAg5C.png

This is what Mazda should do from the factory but they don't. That's why AIO hacks exist because the system should be more user adjustable and have more options.

Not everyone has the knowledge necessary to do it right without messing anything up. I still think itsbest for the average person to exercize caution with this.

Not everyone has the knowledge necessary to do it right without messing anything up. I still think itsbest for the average person to exercize caution with this.

+1 x 1000 !

And even if you have the knowledge, don't take a chance unless you're willing to pay the price.

Back