How does Mazda activate brakes when SCBS / SBC kicks in?

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
I dont know that much about brakes except there's a master cylinder, brake oil and then via a manual pump (my brake pedal) that pushes the oil into the calipers which in turn press into the brake pads .................. In effect, with this limited knowledge: looks like a complete hydraulic system.

I am, of course - wrong. Since when SCBS / SBS kicks in - the pedal tightens and in the worst case - the car stops! How is all this done - would like to know - electrically/electronically I'd presume.

I dont know that much about brakes except there's a master cylinder, brake oil and then via a manual pump (my brake pedal) that pushes the oil into the calipers which in turn press into the brake pads .................. In effect, with this limited knowledge: looks like a complete hydraulic system.

I am, of course - wrong. Since when SCBS / SBS kicks in - the pedal tightens and in the worst case - the car stops! How is all this done - would like to know - electrically/electronically I'd presume.

Have a look at these threads to get some more info:

2017 Advanced SCBS
SBS and SCBS. What is on and when?

GLJAW8J.gif

Last edited:
The braking system isn’t as simple as you describe in your original post. In between the master cylinder and calipers is an ABS pump that is computer controlled and this pump can compress the hydraulic fluid into any individual brake Caliper. This is used to control ABS/ stability control and SCBS.

The braking system isnt as simple as you describe in your original post.

And that's no lie! Feast your eyes on this, from one of Anchorman's great uploads [epb autohold.pdf]: (wow)

Capture3.JPG

The pressure for the ABS, VSC and autohold is generated by the ABS pump. If you get your brakes locked up on ice or snow you can often hear it whirring away.

The pressure for the ABS, VSC and autohold is generated by the ABS pump. If you get your brakes locked up on ice or snow you can often hear it whirring away.

... if you're not too preoccupied with steering and that tree just ahead!

All I know is that it saved my butt on the second or third day of ownership when a post office truck pulled out in front of me. I definitely heard and felt the abs. Its actually not as loud as some cars I’ve owned.

If you want to hear some scary brake sounds listen to DAC or Crawl control in operation on a Toyota truck or SUV (if equipped). It's firing off the ABS so fast to different wheels it sounds like a machine gun. If you weren't aware of how it works you would think the brake system was going major malfunction.

TI_BASIC_HELLO_WORLD.png

587375097-texas-instruments-wallpaper.gif

Off topic, but this resurrected some memories.
The computer lab during my master's program was running TI 99/4s.

Back