mazda3 hatchback or mazda5?

pmjacobsen

:
None
I'm new here. My brother suggested I join as I am looking at two different mazdas. Perhaps you guys can give me a bit of info. I'm looking at a Mazda3 hatchback grand touring vs a Mazda5 touring. They are at the same dealer and exactly the same price. Both are 2006 year model

Mazda3 specs- 170k, automatic 5-speed
Mazda5- 150k, automatic 4-speed

It should be mentioned, I have two children... I like the space in the Mazda5 but the gas efficiency on the Mazda3 is pretty nice...

so hit me with your best shot! Which would you go with??

I'm new here. My brother suggested I join as I am looking at two different mazdas. Perhaps you guys can give me a bit of info. I'm looking at a Mazda3 hatchback grand touring vs a Mazda5 touring. They are at the same dealer and exactly the same price. Both are 2006 year model

Mazda3 specs- 170k, automatic 5-speed
Mazda5- 150k, automatic 4-speed

It should be mentioned, I have two children... I like the space in the Mazda5 but the gas efficiency on the Mazda3 is pretty nice...

so hit me with your best shot! Which would you go with??

buy the Mazda 3, it's a 5 speed.

honestly, the automatic in these older Mazda's is pretty s***. I would strongly recommend looking into a 5 speed manual version but otherwise it's a good fun car. the hatchback should certainly have enough space for your needs while still being economical and fun.

You are comparing different class cars :)
Personally, a small penalty in gas does not bother me. Sliding doors are 1000% better than normal doors when you are dealing with kids.
No fear of kids dinging cars around you, easy access, more space, no issues getting them in/out in the tight parking spots at the mall.
Auto is a big plus, no silly stick shift when you are driving around city, just need to maintain it then manual.
For family I'd go with 5 any day, and I've owned Mazda 3 prior and drove stick for living :)

My brother tried getting a Mazda 3, he fought it out for about 2 years because minivans ain't cool, then sold and got the minivan (which is what mazda5 really is) as he was sick of lack of space.
He still says minivans ain't cool and as soon as kids grow up he will sell it and get a bmw.

2006 is getting long in the tooth, what is the asking price for it?

Last edited:
Have 2 kids

Mazdaspeed3 in garage (same as mazda3 hatch)

And mazda5

Hands down mazda5 better than Ms3 for family and kids

Of course MT MS3 is more fun in life

But life became less fun when I stopped wearing condoms and got married anyways

I say get the 5. I had the the 3 before we had our 1st and it was tight. Of course it got worse when we had our 2nd.
The 4 speed auto transmissions in these do not suck as my 3 had 235k on it when it was totaled and it never gave me any drivetrain issues. Now the a.c....that was a different story. I recently looked at a 5 honestly would've gotten it if it didn't have the issues that it did.

I say get the 5. I had the the 3 before we had our 1st and it was tight. Of course it got worse when we had our 2nd.
The 4 speed auto transmissions in these do not suck as my 3 had 235k on it when it was totaled and it never gave me any drivetrain issues. Now the a.c....that was a different story. I recently looked at a 5 honestly would've gotten it if it didn't have the issues that it did.

The auto transmissions in these older versions are utter garbage. Slow to shift, very poorly geared, (the 5 speed in the second and first gens are awful!)

They may last a reasonably long time with proper maintenance like any other decent unit, but they are terrible in every other aspect.

The skyactiv 6 speed unit has come a very long way from what they used to make.

Back