Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.

Thread: Car drifts to the right

Registered Member

2002 Mazda Protege5

Question Car drifts to the right

Hey Gang,

I got brand new tires, balancing and a 4 wheel alignment done and I'm still having this issue where if I want the steering wheel to be in a neutral position then the car drifts sharply to the right. I constantly have to have the steering wheel slightly turned to the left to get the car to drive straight. (boom03) It's rather annoying because I can't just coast on a straight and level road and not have to constantly be engaged with the steering wheel by holding it a little to the left.

The only thing I can think of is the right passenger side caliper is maybe seized and constantly applying some pressure to the front passenger side rotor. I had two mechanics check it out and I felt like all they gave me was anecdotal opinions without thoroughly checking if the caliper was in fact seizing. Heck, they were giving information that was conflicting each other... so that wasn't really reliable.

Have you all ever had issues like this before?

2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

Quote Originally Posted by chevelles240 View Post
    Hey Gang,

I got brand new tires, balancing and a 4 wheel alignment done and I'm still having this issue where if I want the steering wheel to be in a neutral position then the car drifts sharply to the right. I constantly have to have the steering wheel slightly turned to the left to get the car to drive straight. (boom03) It's rather annoying because I can't just coast on a straight and level road and not have to constantly be engaged with the steering wheel by holding it a little to the left.

The only thing I can think of is the right passenger side caliper is maybe seized and constantly applying some pressure to the front passenger side rotor. I had two mechanics check it out and I felt like all they gave me was anecdotal opinions without thoroughly checking if the caliper was in fact seizing. Heck, they were giving information that was conflicting each other... so that wasn't really reliable.

Have you all ever had issues like this before?
    If the caliber was seized, youd definitely hear it.

Thoroughly inspect all suspension components. Ask for a sheet of updated alighnment specs.

Registered Member

Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by GJ-Molestor View Post
    If the caliber was seized, youd definitely hear it.

Thoroughly inspect all suspension components. Ask for a sheet of updated alighnment specs.
    Not really, at least not at first. Both of mine starting sticking around 200k, although they didn't cause much of a pull that I noticed.

The only way I could tell was that my rotors were getting hot and causing a vibration, and the car wouldn't creep forwards or backwards when coming to a stop.
    2002 Protege5 5 Speed, Pure White, FSZE Swap, Konig Incident 17's
    2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 5.3

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
    The only way I could tell was that my rotors were getting hot and causing a vibration, and the car wouldn't creep forwards or backwards when coming to a stop.
    Yea me too. I didn't notice until I got out of my car and could smell that burning brake smell,.. Then I checked the rotors and noticed the heat.
    My brakes at the time just needed to have the guide pins lubed again though.
    The Diagram Dude

Registered Member

2002 Mazda Protege5

Find out the issue. The tire shop that did the 4 wheel alignment basically didn't do any alignments or they just sucked and didn't know what they were doing... I took it to another shop and they were surprised with how off the specs were on all wheels. They did a proper alignment on all of them and now the car drives straight, brakes smoother and the steering wheel doesn't shake as much. I'm a happy camper now lol.

Registered Member

Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by chevelles240 View Post
    Find out the issue. The tire shop that did the 4 wheel alignment basically didn't do any alignments or they just sucked and didn't know what they were doing... I took it to another shop and they were surprised with how off the specs were on all wheels. They did a proper alignment on all of them and now the car drives straight, brakes smoother and the steering wheel doesn't shake as much. I'm a happy camper now lol.
    Just for future reference, any competent alignment shop should give you before/after printouts of what was adjusted. If they don't, walk away.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.