2012 Mazda5 Noise Question

BTowne78

:
2012 Mazda 5
Hey all - I'm new to the Mazda world and this forum. Just purchases a 2012 Mazda 5 with 61k miles. Got a really nice price on it and couldn't pass it up. It drives nice, transmission is smooth and ride is smooth. However, I have noticed a whiny noise coming from the passenger side. It's not real loud, but there. And I've noticed it changes pitch when I turn the steering wheel, especially when parked. I had the serpentine belt changed on it last night hoping that would help (the belt was bad). But the noise is still there. Anyone else have this? I'm assuming it's the pump, but not sure if it's serious or just part of the vehicle. Like I said, the noise isn't super loud, it's just there. Thanks for your help!

Hey all - I'm new to the Mazda world and this forum. Just purchases a 2012 Mazda 5 with 61k miles. Got a really nice price on it and couldn't pass it up. It drives nice, transmission is smooth and ride is smooth. However, I have noticed a whiny noise coming from the passenger side. It's not real loud, but there. And I've noticed it changes pitch when I turn the steering wheel, especially when parked. I had the serpentine belt changed on it last night hoping that would help (the belt was bad). But the noise is still there. Anyone else have this? I'm assuming it's the pump, but not sure if it's serious or just part of the vehicle. Like I said, the noise isn't super loud, it's just there. Thanks for your help!

sounds like your power steering pump. could also be a belt. is your steering heavy at low speeds? have you checked the fluid level?

I did check the fluid level. Looks to be good. I don't notice the steering to be any different at low speeds or high speeds to be honest. Seems pretty consistent. I figured it was the pump, but didn't know if these have a "normal" noise or when to get concerned.

Its the Mazda's hybrid (hydraulic/electric) power steering. I hear it every time I pull out of the garage and at very low speeds. It is what it is. You will just learn to live with it and other NVH intricacies this car is known to have :) Welcome to the forum!

Thank you! I had read that on another post as well. So that makes me feel better about it. Thank you!!

I did check the fluid level. Looks to be good. I don't notice the steering to be any different at low speeds or high speeds to be honest. Seems pretty consistent. I figured it was the pump, but didn't know if these have a "normal" noise or when to get concerned.

Welcome to the family! I too have a 2012 Touring. I just hit 39,000 miles.

So, I did a research on the topic and decided to post here.

2014 Mazda 5, I also hear this noise. It's not grinding, so I wonder, is there any problem with my pump or is it normal? I don't have any problems with steering (yet?), the car turns easily on low speed.

I also, got the belt changed a few days ago. Actually, I noticed this when I was changing the power steering fluid.

This is recorded when the steering wheel is turning left to right and back.
Do you think there's something wrong with the pump?

So, I did a research on the topic and decided to post here.

2014 Mazda 5, I also hear this noise. It's not grinding, so I wonder, is there any problem with my pump or is it normal? I don't have any problems with steering (yet?), the car turns easily on low speed.

I also, got the belt changed a few days ago. Actually, I noticed this when I was changing the power steering fluid.

This is recorded when the steering wheel is turning left to right and back.
Do you think there's something wrong with the pump?

Nope, seems to be normal, as per other sources I've stumbled upon during my research.
Added some 20K miles since then, the pump is still making this noise and the car is still running fine.

If the fluid level is at the right level, I would just drive as is. PS pumps can go a long time and whine like that.

Back