Climate system on 2015 CX 5

fpetrone

:
2015 CX-5, Grand Touring
Hi again guys. First, I want to thank the people who took the time to answer my questions. Im new to this kind of thing and Im still feeling my way through.
That said, my wife recently noticed that air was flowing from the middle two front vents even though though the climate system was off. I took the car out and she was right. Is this just another Mazda quirk I need to get used to?

Last edited:
My 14 does this I mitigate by switching to feet or defrost/feet setting..probably still blows but not really noticeable then esp when split top and bottom zones..hope it helps!

Last edited:
Hi again guys. First, I want to thank the people who took the time to answer my questions. I’m new to this kind of thing and I’m still feeling my way through.
That said, my wife recently noticed that air was flowing from the middle two front vents even though though the climate system was off. I took the car out and she was right. Is this just another quirk

The climate control on these are absolute s***. You will also note that no-matter what setting it's on, air will come through every vent in the car enough to be felt, and it's extremely weak when you turn on the foot vents. It's the worst system I've ever encountered in vehicles I've owned, or any of the ones I ever had on the lot at the Ford/Mercury/Lincoln new and used lot I worked for.

Hi again guys. First, I want to thank the people who took the time to answer my questions. I’m new to this kind of thing and I’m still feeling my way through.
That said, my wife recently noticed that air was flowing from the middle two front vents even though though the climate system was off. I took the car out and she was right. Is this just another Mazda quirk I need to get used to?

You can switch to recirc to stop it. It's just airflow being forced in when you're underway. Every car I've had has done that.

Thanks so much guys! Good to know its not just mine. Love driving this car but Im a real stickler for little things like this, and it really annoys me.

That model CX-5 doesn't come with dials to open and close the centre vents. So air will still come through the vents.

Best to aim the vents towards the floor and you won't have any more issues.

The climate control on these are absolute s***. You will also note that no-matter what setting it's on, air will come through every vent in the car enough to be felt, and it's extremely weak when you turn on the foot vents. It's the worst system I've ever encountered in vehicles I've owned, or any of the ones I ever had on the lot at the Ford/Mercury/Lincoln new and used lot I worked for.

You really bought a pup didn’t you? It seems the worlds most knowledgeable person with regard to anything cars allowed himself to buy the worst car ever made by pointing at a car at the back of the dealership and saying “I’ll have that”. Now he’s discovered he likes absolutely nothing about it, he’ll try to kid those with infinitely more common sense that he has to stick with it because not only was he stupid enough not to notice a single one of the thousands of faults and deficiencies before taking it, that it would be the worst depreciating car ever to hit the streets since the conception of the horseless carriage.

I don’t moderate on this forum but if I did I’d be checking the IP address of this and the mysteriously disappeared Mike M who was our last troll that couldn’t bear anything about his CX-5. There are some unbelievable similarities.

You really bought a pup didn’t you? It seems the worlds most knowledgeable person with regard to anything cars allowed himself to buy the worst car ever made by pointing at a car at the back of the dealership and saying “I’ll have that”. Now he’s discovered he likes absolutely nothing about it, he’ll try to kid those with infinitely more common sense that he has to stick with it because not only was he stupid enough not to notice a single one of the thousands of faults and deficiencies before taking it, that it would be the worst depreciating car ever to hit the streets since the conception of the horseless carriage.

I don’t moderate on this forum but if I did I’d be checking the IP address of this and the mysteriously disappeared Mike M who was our last troll that couldn’t bear anything about his CX-5. There are some unbelievable similarities.

I don't like much about it...but I also don't have a reason to get rid of it. It's like my refrigerator. It's a base type item, nothing sexy, nothing fun, but dammit, it keeps the food cold, no? You go ahead and check your IP's.

You can switch to recirc to stop it. It's just airflow being forced in when you're underway. Every car I've had has done that.

This, every car I have ever owned has done this. The only cars that did not were the older American cars that had not means to shut off outside air. But on all other cars, you just switch to recirculation and the air will stop.

I wonder if for some people, this is their first time in the front seat of a car?

This, every car I have ever owned has done this. The only cars that did not were the older American cars that had not means to shut off outside air. But on all other cars, you just switch to recirculation and the air will stop.

I wonder if for some people, this is their first time in the front seat of a car?

Your experience is mine, as well.

As others have said, all cars do this. Turn the fan on and change the output to feet, or windshield and then turn the fan off. Air comes out of whatever vents you set it too before fan was switched off.

You can change to recirc, but at some point you will see humidity in the vehicle, so we prefer to just change which vents bring air in.

It's like my refrigerator. It's a base type item, nothing sexy, nothing fun, but dammit, it keeps the food cold, no?

Must admit, thats an excellent response!

Older cars used to let air blow through the heater due to ram air entering at the front but these days a lot is stopped by the cabin filter - especially if its getting a bit clogged.

To Uno's point, yes air will continue to sort of flow into the CX-5 with the vents turned off.

This can be corrected, you just have to switch it to re-circulation instead of outside air. On mine, this stops any residual airflow from coming through. Problem solved.

I don't like much about it...but I also don't have a reason to get rid of it. It's like my refrigerator. It's a base type item, nothing sexy, nothing fun, but dammit, it keeps the food cold, no?

Uno, I find you quite interesting, but life is too short to feel the way you do about your CX-5. After nine months with mine, I enjoy every drive I take with it. The purchase of this car was to reward myself for finishing my degree at the ripe old age of 5X (you fill in the blank) and I am living life to the fullest. That is, when I can get away from work... ;)

I don't like much about it...but I also don't have a reason to get rid of it. It's like my refrigerator. It's a base type item, nothing sexy, nothing fun, but dammit, it keeps the food cold, no? You go ahead and check your IP's.

Agreed mostly but idk I guess I've never owned a true luxury car or something truly fast and furious (at least by today's standards) though I've driven my share and there are plenty of shittier vehicles to drive (faint praise eh?) but I'll also say that there are very few vehicles (esp awd ones) in its price range that offer similar/better levels of practicality, safety and efficiency while being genuinely good to drive- on a winding road- or a 300 mile road trip. Are there?

Last edited:

What year and trim level do you have?

Your depreciation problem is because you bought the wrong year.

Maybe your "base type item" problem is that you bought the wrong trim level.

Maybe your tastes exceed your budget. Your expressed expectations at this price point and body style are clearly unrealistic.

But we understand. Venting makes you feel better. Most of us here realize that the car is not your problem. Keep entertaining us.

^^Nailed it..and yes our friend is jaded, has JGC Trackhawk taste on a used CX-5 touring budget..but he also hates buying depreciating assets, hence the bitterness:)
Which reminds me...uno you never got back to me on the 87% of msrp on your 3yr 90k mile lease deal..where you at sonn?

Last edited:
Back