Wow its fast and good looking - 2018 Camry V6... Mazda need to up the game

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Just test drove and my friend bought one. Special order. The dealership has Mazda and Toyota but seriously after driving the Mazda 6 back to back with the new Camry V6 XSE V6 even I, who is so much in appreciation of Mazda was swayed by this one. My friend immediately selected Camry.
Camry has come a long way for being a family car. Its handling, throttle response and acceleration was truly terrific.
Personally, I feel Mazda seriously need to up their game here, if they intend to stay competitive with others, especially on the sedan front.
The interior was well appointed with considerable amenities. The front doesn't look that hideous too anymore. Actually, quite decent in looks.

I agree the Mazda 6 is easily the best looking in the class. I think the Honda and Toyota won’t age as well design wise either as they both seem overly styled to me.

The 2.5T 6 is Mazda’s answer also.

Yeah.. I hope they come out on time..... would be great if they introduce a V6 version (but that's like a 1% chance probably). That thing goes 0 to 60 in 6 sec. Pretty impressive for a Camry, i.e.

Yeah.. I hope they come out on time..... would be great if they introduce a V6 version (but that's like a 1% chance probably). That thing goes 0 to 60 in 6 sec. Pretty impressive for a Camry, i.e.

0% on v6 version..and if the same 2.5t runs the 4300# cx9 in 7(it does) I'm pretty sure the nearly 1000# lighter 6 will easily run low 6s..add an awd launch(still hopeful) and it would likely be neck and neck with v6 camry in high 5s but more importantly gain my consideration.

Last edited:
0% on mazda w/v6..and if the same 2.5t runs the 4300# cx9 in 7(it does) I'm pretty sure the nearly 1000# lighter 6 will easily run low 6s..add an awd launch(still hopeful) and it would likely be neck and neck with v6 camry in high 5s but more importantly gain my consideration.

I thought I had read that the 2.5T would be going into the 6? It will be tuned differently than the CX9 model.

Mazda has always made dog slow cars (except the RX7 FD, that was their one shining moment) that are sold for their neutral feel and handling attributes. Not their drive-trains.

Personally I'd want a large fast car to be RWD or AWD. Popularity of passenger vehicles are on the wane. More than anything, Toyota needs to up their game on the SUV front. That storm trooper look of the RAV4 and the rest are ugly and with average drivetrains. Mazda also need to continue to up their game in the ever increasingly popular segment. Styling and quality they're a notch above it's main rivals. Now just need the 2.5T in the CX-5 to elevate it to the next level.

Exactly the same engine in terms of power and torque. It's transmission gearing might be a bit different but they haven't mentioned anything thus far.

Last edited:
1st recall for 2018 Camry.

"First up is the 2018 Toyota Camry. According to Toyota, some shipped Camry vehicles may have had fuel pipes and hoses not properly connected. Because of this there could be a fuel leak/spill, which in the presence of a ignition source could leave a driver with a rather heated situation. 2018 Camry owners, keep an eye out for first-class mail later in March for further instruction and the scheduling of fixes. "

I did see that C&D somehow achieved 45mpg with their 75mph Highway test. Mazda 6 earned 37 mpg in the same test. Is that even possible? If so, what kind of top gear ration is Camry using? Sounds too good to be true!

Mazda has always made dog slow cars (except the RX7 FD, that was their one shining moment) that are sold for their neutral feel and handling attributes. Not their drive-trains.

Mazda was always known for producing engines with a robust and useable powerband that makes good torque from a lower RPM.

Personally I'd want a large fast car to be RWD or AWD. Popularity of passenger vehicles are on the wane. More than anything, Toyota needs to up their game on the SUV front. That storm trooper look of the RAV4 and the rest are ugly and with average drivetrains. Mazda also need to continue to up their game in the ever increasingly popular segment. Styling and quality they're a notch above it's main rivals. Now just need the 2.5T in the CX-5 to elevate it to the next level.

I agree with you on the RWD comment.

I did see that C&D somehow achieved 45mpg with their 75mph Highway test. Mazda 6 earned 37 mpg in the same test. Is that even possible? If so, what kind of top gear ration is Camry using? Sounds too good to be true!

It has very little to do with the final drive ratio. Its more about how much torque does the engine make at highway cruising RPM.

Back