Wow its fast and good looking - 2018 Camry V6... Mazda need to up the game

I did see that C&D somehow achieved 45mpg with their 75mph Highway test. Mazda 6 earned 37 mpg in the same test. Is that even possible? If so, what kind of top gear ration is Camry using? Sounds too good to be true!

Yes, that is impressive and can go over 700 miles on a tank of gas!

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...mry-fuel-economy-review-car-and-driver-page-3

Funny how you are now seeing Mazda report that they are benchmarking against Toyota against BMW.

Mazda was always known for producing engines with a robust and useable powerband that makes good torque from a lower RPM.

I agree with you on the RWD comment.

It has very little to do with the final drive ratio. It’s more about how much torque does the engine make at highway cruising RPM.

Mazda, who was the only manufacturer of rotary engines for decades and is now pushing 4cyl turbos instead of V6s and V8s like everyone else in the 6s class, is not known for engines with a lot or low-end torque.

How does the final drive ratio, which enables the car to basically idle at 60mph NOT have everything to do with MPG? That's ludicrous. My old Honda CRX HF got over 50mpg with a 1.5l engine. A 1.5 Honda engine. Talk about no torque!

Mazda, who was the only manufacturer of rotary engines for decades and is now pushing 4cyl turbos instead of V6s and V8s like everyone else in the 6s class, is not known for engines with a lot or low-end torque.

How does the final drive ratio, which enables the car to basically idle at 60mph NOT have everything to do with MPG? That's ludicrous. My old Honda CRX HF got over 50mpg with a 1.5l engine. A 1.5 Honda engine. Talk about no torque!

I meant Mazdas 4 cylinder engines in comparison to an equivalent competitors engine. The Mazda makes an impressive amount of torque in the low end for a 4 cyl.

I said it has little to do with the final drive ratio. Maybe not little to do with it, its pretty important, but its certainly not the main reason why it achieves good MPG. You cant just slap on a new final drive ratio onto any car and note drastically improved fuel economy... it needs to work in harmony with the engines torque delivery characteristics and the gearing of the transmission itself in order to effectively change anything.

The difference in Consumer Reports' numbers is less dramatic. Amazing that the 6 gets the same overall fuel economy as the Camry despite being over a half second quicker to 60 AND having 2 fewer gears.

Camry: 32, 20, 49 (overall, city, hwy)
Accord: 31, 21, 42
Mazda6: 32, 22, 44

Back