Nice article - CX-5: Safety

The driver was careless and was fortunate that she did not kill others by her poor driving. A little difference in timing, angle, speed or many other factors and there would be no good story. The car did not DO a job, it just worked out in this case. Would it be fair to highlight a story where someone got killed in a CX-5 and claim the CX-5 DIDN'T do it's job?

You guys seem to only want to focus on the bad driver. I'm more interested in how well the CX-5 protected it's passenger, even if maybe a little luck was involved.

As a driver, you can't plan for everything, and you can still be involved in motor vehicle collisions regardless of how perfect you think you are. I'm glad to see that in this case, the CX-5 did it's job in protecting the occupant during a collision.

You guys seem to only want to focus on the bad driver. I'm more interested in how well the CX-5 protected it's passenger, even if maybe a little luck was involved.

As a driver, you can't plan for everything, and you can still be involved in motor vehicle collisions regardless of how perfect you think you are. I'm glad to see that in this case, the CX-5 did it's job in protecting the occupant during a collision.

Agreed, but my issue is that something like a crash is a dynamic occurrence with unlimited variables. You need multiple incidents for any trends to emerge.

Well said. Exactly my point - the thread is NOT about the driver or what she did right/wrong. For that there's enough arm chair critics as it is - open any newspaper these days. Accidents happen - period. The CX-5 behaved well - saved her life. That's in my book - kudos to Mazda engineering.

Agreed, but my issue is that something like a crash is a dynamic occurrence with unlimited variables. You need multiple incidents for any trends to emerge.

That's what the IIHS and NHTSA are for. They do all the simulated testing so that we don't have to derive information from multiple instances of actual real world incidents. I recognize that there are unlimited variables, but the testing that is performed by these two organizations are quite thorough and should account for nearly every conceivable motor vehicle collision.

Last edited:
Back