Do tires even matter?

Honestly, I noticed ZERO difference going from 19 > 17.
We'll see if I notice anything when I go back to 19s.

A tyre by itself will basically be of no use in the situation you described but having something like this should provide more grip but at the same time stuff up the road surface:

2qs5si0.jpg

Is that from Die Another Day? I remember the invis car had spikes and he reversed into some ice.

That's not the ones that come with the stock 19" rims (uhm)

No. Same brand (Toyo) but different series. They came out with STIII/3 last September. These are considered sport truck (ST) tires, and they hold up well with camber too. Easily a 60k+ tire.

Not bad for the stii's right now 508 shipped for a set from this seller.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

No. Same brand (Toyo) but different series. They came out with STIII/3 last September. These are considered sport truck (ST) tires, and they hold up well with camber too. Easily a 60k+ tire.

Not bad for the stii's right now 508 shipped for a set from this seller.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
Thanks for the information! Are they noisy due to its tread pattern (uhm)

Thanks for the information! Are they noisy due to its tread pattern (uhm)

I've seen reviews saying they are noisy but that's not a consideration for me; mine is dry grip which they excel at. My car is loud in general and I drive highway all day with all windows open.

I've seen reviews saying they are noisy but that's not a consideration for me; mine is dry grip which they excel at. My car is loud in general and I drive highway all day with all windows open.

Ive noticed that wind noise is dramatically decreased with your window open On the highway with cars that have the mirrors fitted below the belt-line due to aerodynamic reasons. It still totally messes up your aero at those speeds though. You would notice better fuel economy with the windows up even if A/C is cranked. Personally, I dont understand how people bear with the sound of rushing air on the highway if they have an older side-mirror design. :)

I’ve noticed that wind noise is dramatically decreased with your window open On the highway with cars that have the mirrors fitted below the belt-line due to aerodynamic reasons. It still totally messes up your aero at those speeds though. You would notice better fuel economy with the windows up even if A/C is cranked. Personally, I don’t understand how people bear with the sound of rushing air on the highway if they have an older side-mirror design. :)

I like to hear the sound of the vehicle and I like the wind blowing; it's part of the enjoyed experience of driving for me. It has nothing to do with fuel economy, which doesn't really suffer at least on this vehicle.

I like to hear the sound of the vehicle and I like the wind blowing; it's part of the enjoyed experience of driving for me. It has nothing to do with fuel economy, which doesn't really suffer at least on this vehicle.

Fair enough. Isnt your CX-5 turbocharged? What sort of exhaust work have you done to it? Any ECU or transmission tuning?

Hey Chris, you are more performance oriented. What kinda tires you running?

Ill take this one..Dunlop Wintersport 3D in 235/65-17 can't recommend them enough and they can be run all year- they will be on mine this summer as I finally run them out of service..probably got 40k on them..noise is my only quibble but that's most winters..Conti wintercontact SI also look interesting..got Mich Xi2 for next time as I wanted something a bit better for when the going gets rough...and to get me out of my driveway.

OP: tires absofuckinglutely matter but on glare ice like that no so much..studded/chains

Last edited:
Back