Insurance Ripoffs

I started with State Farm on car insurance with my first car. They did handle it well for hail damages in early days. But in 20 years of my home-owner insurance they’d never been willing to total our wood-shingle roof in many hail storms while my next-door eighbors had totaled at least twice and eventually took the opportunity to replace the wood-shingle roof to composite shingles once our HOA eased the restriction. In later years State Farm had always used aged wood shingles as an excuse to refuse totaling our wood-shingle roof no matter how severe the hail damage was. In the mean time they quadrupled our premium for the reason of having wood shingles and at the time nobody would issue a new policy to a home with wood-shingle roof. We’d to spend $22K by ourselves replacing our roof with composite singles, and we switched the insurance on next day!

I don’t think you’d want State Farm if you had the same experience like mine!

All I saw was that you had something so undesirable to insure that no-one but state farm would even do it, and then only with nasty premiums, but at least they did it?

But... I do know. An insurance company cannot deny a claim... because it happened on private property.

And thanks for letting my know Progressive donates to the RIGHT... er... the CORRECT parties. ;)\

https://www.rcslawfirm.com/car-gets-hit-private-property/

And now you know the difference between the law, and what can actually happen. Kindof like the difference between what the Left says it wants, and what it would actually get if we let it have it's way.

Did I mention I work at a law firm? For 10 years. And another firm for 9 years prior?
From your article:
Unfortunately, many insurance companies use this as a reason to deny your claim. *They will say things like “The rules of the road do not apply in parking lots,” or “We are not liable because the accident happened on private property.” *This is not true.
I have a hard time believing a respected insurance company like Progressive would try that bulls***. Or maybe.

Last edited:
Did I mention I work at a law firm? For 10 years. And another firm for 9 years prior?
From your article:
Unfortunately, many insurance companies use this as a reason to deny your claim. *They will say things like “The rules of the road do not apply in parking lots,” or “We are not liable because the accident happened on private property.” *This is not true.
I have a hard time believing a respected insurance company like Progressive would try that bulls***. Or maybe.

Continue reading the article where it says that without suing, there isn't anything you can do to call them on it...Maybe my "stand up guy" took them at their word...

Same in this country. They get in then completely ignore what the people want and just suite themselves.

I will say one thing about Trump, whether you like him or not, he's doing pretty much what he said he would, and for better or worse, I kindof admire that aspect.

I read the entire article. That topic is beat, let's move on.
Re: Trump. Did what he said he would? He didn't drain the swamp. Quite the contrary but
Let's NOT go there.

I read the entire article. That topic is beat, let's move on.
Re: Trump. Did what he said he would? He didn't drain the swamp. Quite the contrary but
Let's NOT go there.

Put money in my pocket, so I'm content. They all suck, but hey, I'll take thousands of dollars a year, right? Also reversed the unconstitutional UHC mandate. That cost me plenty, too. Over-all, I'm more happy than unhappy.

Last edited:
Pretty strong numbers for the ol retirement plan too..so count me in as taking it...don't get us all blown the fup but taking it.j
Wanted 7s own Johnny K but just thanking the stars that crooked hillary didn't make it. Do i think DT is a good person..no i don't, better for the direction of the country..with a few exceptions...hellyes.

Last edited:
Put money in my pocket, so I'm content. They all suck, but hey, I'll take thousands of dollars a year, right? Also reversed the unconstitutional UHC mandate. That cost me plenty, too. Over-all, I'm more happy than unhappy.

Can't buy me off that easy. lol

Eh. I'm not that much of a fan of Trump as a person and I didn't vote for him (or Hilary for that matter), but money is money. And having been on the individual market for health insurance for 2 years, I am absolutely in agreement with Uno on that one. It was a total shitshow that got worse and more expensive for me every year. "You can keep your health plan" my ass. 2016 I had a descent choice of plans available (I like PPO's). 2017 I had a choice of oh...this bad HMO plan or this other...bad HMO plan only? Ok....2018...oh it's going up by $100 a month to be almost $450? Yeah **** this. Glad I got my contract converted. I would have just taken the damn penalty.

No it doesn't make me like Trump the person any more, but a win is a win for me, whether it had come from him, or the other side. Doesn't matter. It's not a buy off. A benefit is a benefit, doesn't matter which side it comes from.

The extra $120ish ($3k a year?) I will now be getting from my paychecks will either go straight into 401k or I may use that to pay off a $6k personal loan faster.

Wins a win.

Last edited:
Eh. I'm not that much of a fan of Trump as a person and I didn't vote for him (or Hilary for that matter), but money is money. And having been on the individual market for health insurance for 2 years, I am absolutely in agreement with Uno on that one. It was a total shitshow that got worse and more expensive for me every year. "You can keep your health plan" my ass. 2016 I had a descent choice of plans available (I like PPO's). 2017 I had a choice of oh...this bad HMO plan or this other...bad HMO plan only? Ok....2018...oh it's going up by $100 a month to be almost $450? Yeah **** this. Glad I got my contract converted. I would have just taken the damn penalty.

No it doesn't make me like Trump the person any more, but a win is a win for me, whether it had come from him, or the other side. Doesn't matter. It's not a buy off. A benefit is a benefit, doesn't matter which side it comes from.

The extra $120ish I will now be getting from my paychecks will either go straight into 401k or I may use that to pay off a personal loan faster.

Wins a win.

Exactly. Insurance was getting shittier and shittier, and not buying an "approved plan" would stick you for over $2k/year.

Exactly. Insurance was getting shittier and shittier, and not buying an "approved plan" would stick you for over $2k/year.

Yep. And my doctor will see you if you don't have insurance. $75

Works for me. I'm a healthy 27 year old. At this point I see the last 2 years as money wasted down the drain. What was the purpose....oh right, rake my ass over the coals for subsidizing... (flip)

Last edited:
Yep. And my doctor will see you if you don't have insurance. $75

Works for me. I'm a healthy 27 year old. At this point I see the last 2 years as money wasted down the drain. What was the purpose....oh right, rake my ass over the coals for subsidizing... (flip)

Honestly, catastrophic insurance does have a place, even at your age. That said, the plans required under Obamacare were unnecessary and overpriced for you.

i didn't need or want the tax break at the expense of another trillion plus in debt. yeah, my 401k is way up... so i re-balanced right before the big dip a few weeks back to keep my profits.

but trump is an awful human being. no ifs ands or buts about it.

We are veering in to politics. Sure fire way to get this thread locked.

Agree Banjo...

Yeah, but like every other liberal, you ain't telling the government to take it back, are ya?

OK, that comment makes no sense. Let's not get snarky.
Just exactly how would I tell them to take it back? And they certainly could take it back. I barely noticed it.

We are going to wind up paying for this, us middle classians, just you watch. Enjoy your little pittance while you can, while the rich get richer and piss all over us...err.. I mean trickle down.
hehehe
;)

Back