Insurance Ripoffs

Well no company really alignes with my view of equal opportunity bashing (aka both sides suck, and I bash both).

(rofl)

Depending on the company, their politics can influence the service they provide. Not all though.

Last edited:
You don't need to defend the stand up guy. I didn't say he wasn't a stand up guy. Maybe he didn't realize his insurance had lapsed. Or maybe he just didn't want to file a claim because he'd filed one recently. Who knows. But the reason he gave you was bulls***.
Most of us in Cleveland have a lot of respect for Peter.

^but what does it matter if he lied (does seem shady) he took care of it, and followed up, that's enough to be defended esp in this day and age imo..fwiw Ive settled my (few and nothing major) issues outside of insurance which I generally view as a necessary evil..250/500 3 cars full coverage with 0 glass for under 2k/yr..to who..the lowest bidder..in my case nycm..its right until its wrong and they haven't jacked my rates for no reason like state farm, all state and geico did like a religion..with 0 claims outside of glass.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter. I'm defending Progressive here, not stand up guy. Progressive did not deny his claim because it happened in a private parking lot. Yea, if that was true I would agree Progressive sucks.

I admire that uno cares who he supports via his $..more should. Ill support flo..in more ways than 1(yes)

My new car insurance renewal rate for March? $166.72/month

Male, 27, no tickets since 2010, and last major claim in 2015 (all paid for by the guilty SOB who rear ended me though). Only vehicle, and I'm the only driver.

My previous rate was $145. Which was previously $135 before I brought my comp. deductible down.

This sucks.

Alright, who's got a better rate...who's got a worse rate?

Go with state farm they are the cheapest. i have 2017 CX5 and was priced at $299 for 6 month. my last renews around $301.04 for 6 month. full insured and plus im a minor age 19. 2 years ago i got one ticket and last year i got 2.

Go with state farm they are the cheapest. i have 2017 CX5 and was priced at $299 for 6 month. my last renews around $301.04 for 6 month. full insured and plus im a minor age 19. 2 years ago i got one ticket and last year i got 2.

They were not the cheapest last year when I shopped around.

It's going to vary by state/city.

Maybe it’s Texas but nobody the age of 19 gets six month premiums like that around here. Monthly premium would be more like it.

I smell bull chips.

It doesn't matter. I'm defending Progressive here, not stand up guy. Progressive did not deny his claim because it happened in a private parking lot. Yea, if that was true I would agree Progressive sucks.

You don't know, and I don't know, but it was my only actual interaction with Progressive except for one other, and I forget if it WAS progressive or not, it may not have been, but I could have sworn it was. bucket flew out of a guy's truck, hit my car, (it was dark, i didn't see it, it was trailing pulling-rope (he was an electrician I think?) and it did some significant damage to paint as the rope (nylon string really) wrapped around my mirror and whipped against the car with the bucket as a weight on the end of it.

I held him there against his whining and protests until the police rept. was filed, and the whole time he owned it 100% as his fault. Then my insurance company tells me HIS company wants to split 50/50 like it was MY fault his junk flew out in the middle of the night and hit my car (the bucket flew up, above headlights, and when it came down, it was too late to do anything as I caught a glimpse of it as it slammed into the bumper, no, I was not tailgating or doing anything else wrong).

Anyway, State Farm handled it for me. Again, not 100% if it was Progressive, but I recall it being so. I'd have to go back and check.

That said, I don't care how stand-up they would treat me as a customer, they aren't willingly getting a dime of my money.
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/toprecips.php?id=D000040450&cycle=2016

Their #1 recipient was good 'ol Hillary and #2, Bernie. No more justification needed in why I wouldn't give 'em a dime. Now, I'm not saying I'm 100% the best about checking who donates to who, but I do try when it's flagrant and well-known to avoid certain companies.

State Farm donated even more to 'ol Hillary, but they also donated MORE YET to her opponent. Not what I want to see, but I'd prefer it over where Progressive's dollars went.
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/toprecips.php?id=D000000659&cycle=2016

Allstate Insurance also donated to Hillary and Trump. A LOT MORE to Hillary than Trump, though:
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/toprecips.php?id=D000000632&cycle=2016

So my choices the way I see it, since I am not USAA eligible, were to go with the one who contributed more against Hillary than For her, also taking into account Progressive's history of supporting candidates and groups that I am not a fan of.

Another big deal was the ease with which State Farm wrote my firearm coverage policy.

Last edited:
Maybe its Texas but nobody the age of 19 gets six month premiums like that around here. Monthly premium would be more like it.

I smell bull chips.

certainly smells suspicious. especially with 3 tickets in short order for a young driver. red flags going up.

You don't know, and I don't know

But... I do know. An insurance company cannot deny a claim... because it happened on private property.

And thanks for letting my know Progressive donates to the RIGHT... er... the CORRECT parties. ;)\

But... I do know. An insurance company cannot deny a claim... because it happened on private property.

And thanks for letting my know Progressive donates to the RIGHT... er... the CORRECT parties. ;)\

CxyGS60.png

Edit: Anyway, I don't care too much anymore. I'm a libertarian stay out of my business and I'll stay out of yours type. My views definitely fall more right on most things, left on others, but pretty much equal disdain for both parties. My best friends are hardcore lefties. Who cares?

Last edited:
CxyGS60.png

Edit: Anyway, I don't care too much anymore. I'm a libertarian stay out of my business and I'll stay out of yours type. My views definitely fall more right on most things, left on others, but pretty much equal disdain for both parties. My best friends are hardcore lefties. Who cares?

socially liberal and fiscally conservative... what most americans identify as... but a Death Knell for politics.

and we're left with the s*** sandwich you see now.

⋯ Anyway, State Farm handled it for me.
I started with State Farm on car insurance with my first car. They did handle it well for hail damages in early days. But in 20 years of my home-owner insurance theyd never been willing to total our wood-shingle roof in many hail storms while my next-door eighbors had totaled at least twice and eventually took the opportunity to replace the wood-shingle roof to composite shingles once our HOA eased the restriction. In later years State Farm had always used aged wood shingles as an excuse to refuse totaling our wood-shingle roof no matter how severe the hail damage was. In the mean time they quadrupled our premium for the reason of having wood shingles and at the time nobody would issue a new policy to a home with wood-shingle roof. Wed to spend $22K by ourselves replacing our roof with composite singles, and we switched the insurance on next day!

I dont think youd want State Farm if you had the same experience like mine!

Agree. I lean a bit left, but I hate both parties and most politicians. lol

CxyGS60.png

I vote with my dollars. I make more now that Trump got the tax reform passed, by a notable margin. I like to think me having state farm is what did it, Rofl! (The amount less I now pay in taxes covers my auto insurance, home owners insurance, life insurance, and firearms insurance , roughly).

Back