Insurance Ripoffs

Shop around for the best policy that fits your needs.

Shopping around again. I did that last year when it was $145, and everyone else was closer to $160/month.

Explanation I got was everything is jacking up for everybody in this state.

We'll see what other quotes I get...

Married...both mid 40s... looked at my Allstate policy and CX-5 is running $63/month.

I have all of my policies through them and also maintain an $1M umbrella policy to fill in gaps on auto policy and other things like lawsuits

Liability •*250/500/100
Underinsured •*250/500/100
Collision $1k deductible
Comp $50 deductible

Definitely shop around. I was with State Farm. I thought they were good. But when I moved from Houston to Portland it was even higher, and it should have gone lower. I decided to go to the progressive website to compare rates. Turn out they were the cheapest. They quoted me about half the price of State Farm. I payed my renewal of $324 for six months. Full coverage

Definitely shop around. I was with State Farm. I thought they were good. But when I moved from Houston to Portland it was even higher, and it should have gone lower. I decided to go to the progressive website to compare rates. Turn out they were the cheapest. They quoted me about half the price of State Farm. I payed my renewal of $324 for six months. Full coverage

Were you given any reasons why Portland was higher?

One likely reason is car theft in Portland is huge even compared to Houston. There is a large market for stolen cars in port cities on the west coast. The cars get shipped to China and other places.

I lived in Tacoma which is about half the size of Portland. The auto theft numbers have come down yet we are almost double the rate of Portland . Even at my place of work, a hospital, six cars were stolen in one day.

I’m guessing that winter conditions also have a effect on rates. Portland is known for icy hills and lots of crashes as a result.

Nice place though. Stumptown coffee [emoji1303][emoji1303]

We moved from md to tx years ago our insurance rates doubled with statefarm. We had been customers for years. Switched to another carrier and rates came back to normal. No claims or tickets. They just said that was their rate in that area.

Currently in OH and State Farm is hundreds cheaper then others. Got a quote last week from USAA, and the cx-5 was $200 yr more, as was each other car we have.

I went from USAA to The General and my rate was like 30% less. They are not cut rate insurance either.. I have all the coverage I did @ usaa minus the windshield chips. Haven't had any issues with any claims at fault or not.

These rates seem really high.

I have a collision and liability coverage on both a 2016 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L RWD and a 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT FWD.

My monthly bill is $99.

Right...but what company? A decent one, or some bad little ripoff expert like "Direct General" or "Progressive" or something?

I personally would stick with: State Farm, Allstate, USAA, companies like that.

I went from USAA to The General and my rate was like 30% less. They are not cut rate insurance either.. I have all the coverage I did @ usaa minus the windshield chips. Haven't had any issues with any claims at fault or not.

Is The General the same as Direct General? If so, I sued the living hell out of one of their clients and maxxed their policy once because of their shadiness. I was out for blood, and painted the ground with it.

Is The General the same as Direct General? If so, I sued the living hell out of one of their clients and maxxed their policy once because of their shadiness. I was out for blood, and painted the ground with it.

No, the corporate insurance company is Poliseek AIS. Never felt that they were trying to short change me on services and always picked my own shops. Also you can get like 6 tows per policy period.

Wow! You guys are paying some high rates!

State Farm full coverage (with homeowners and two vehicles), married, over 50, retired, no accidents or tickets (some kind of miracle there w/no tickets), 100,000/300,000, $100 deduct/comp, $500/collision = $405 per year.

State Farm full coverage (with homeowners and two vehicles), married, over 50, retired, no accidents or tickets (some kind of miracle there w/no tickets), 100,000/300,000, $100 deduct/comp, $500/collision = $405 per year.

Because you're over 50, and you are carrying lower limits. You also live in Ill.

Right...but what company? A decent one, or some bad little ripoff expert like "Direct General" or "Progressive" or something?

What's your problem with Progressive? Love to hear this.

Certainly not chicago!
Cx5 = $1400

But we have fee days at many museums.
Ha!

Incredible!

At last, we here downunder, find something car related is cheaper here than in the USA!

My CX5 Akera comprehensive insurance, plus added free (no deductable) windscreen replacement), plus have listed both my sons as drivers who are both licenced less than 3 years, for a premium of $53 Aussie $ per month. (US $42)

Both wife and self have max no claim bonus (no at fault accidents in last 10 years or more). Plus a bonus discount for having 3 or more policies with same insurance company.

Geico - North Carolina

We currently have Progressive and Ive no complaint on them. Before the big premium increase from Travelers on vehicles and MetLife on home due to a couple of hail storms before 2017, my agent switched us to Progressive with the rate decrease in 2017! Unfortunately we had another hail storm the next day and Progressive paid a hefty price to insure us on 3 vehicles and home! We have no trouble to get reimbursement on (yet another) new roof、gutter、paint, and $8,000 damage on our CX-5!

State Farm? After almost 20 years getting insurance from them, they had never totaled our roof during many hail storms like others later weve had experienced. Never again paying the high premium to State Farm but could never get reasonable reimbursement for damages!

One of their customers hit me while I was parked pumping gas. State trooper wrote up the report. He was 100% at fault, and admitted it. He owned a company, and Progressive was his insurer. They refused to cover the accident due to it being "on private property and not on a right of way" (gas station). He paid me out of pocket. Super stand-up guy, but he dropped Progressive on every vehicle he owned (whole company).

Aside from that, they are massively Pro-Leftist, and Peter Lewis has donated millions to said causes. Screw them.

I think your stand up guy was lying to you about why Progressive denied his claim. An insurance company cannot deny your claim because it happened on public property.
I've had Progressive for 15 years. No one is cheaper. I've filed 2 claims and been treated wonderfully and all repairs work performed was done well and quickly. Both times on private property, btw. My rates did not go up.
They are a local company that employs over 400 people here in Cleveland. They treat thier employees well. I personally know 2 of them.
And Peter Lewis? Who cares that he was a leftist? Do you really only support companies that align with your political views?
Peter Lewis donated money to the ACLU. Is that your issue? Or that he smoked pot and was pro legalization? He donated most of his charity to his college, and Case Western here in Ohio. In any event, he's been dead for 4 years. Totally off topic but I am curious what he supported that made you think he was a shitbag.

I think your stand up guy was lying to you about why Progressive denied his claim. An insurance company cannot deny your claim because it happened on public property.
I've had Progressive for 15 years. No one is cheaper. I've filed 2 claims and been treated wonderfully and all repairs work performed was done well and quickly. Both times on private property, btw. My rates did not go up.
They are a local company that employs over 400 people here in Cleveland. They treat thier employees well. I personally know 2 of them.
And Peter Lewis? Who cares that he was a leftist? Do you really only support companies that align with your political views?
Peter Lewis donated money to the ACLU. Is that your issue? Or that he smoked pot and was pro legalization? He donated most of his charity to his college, and Case Western here in Ohio. In any event, he's been dead for 4 years. Totally off topic but I am curious what he supported that made you think he was a shitbag.

1: That "stand up guy" cut me a check for an average of 3 estimates that I faxxed him. He sent it that same week, and it cleared, and a month later he followed up by asking if it was enough to completely cover repairs to my car. Maybe he chose to lie about his insurance? Odd...

2: I don't base my insurance on who is cheaper. I base it off of the product. Every shop I've been to says they prefer to work with State Farm, USAA, Allstate, and that they are least-likely to give pushback on repairs. I have found that State Farm repairs my car with new, OEM parts, with ZERO pushback. They also have no problem filing claims against other companies for me, while they pay out of pocket to fix my stuff. So they work well for me, for sure. Another HUGE bonus is that they insure my firearm collection for me without wanting to get all nitpicky about it.

3: Lewis may be dead, but he was alive and funnelling money to MoveOn.org and American Coming Together back when I was figuring out who i would be insured by as a young adult.

4: Yes, I actually do try not to fund people I vote against.

Back