Insurance Ripoffs

ColoradoDriver

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD - 132k miles
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
My new car insurance renewal rate for March? $166.72/month

Male, 27, no tickets since 2010, and last major claim in 2015 (all paid for by the guilty SOB who rear ended me though). Only vehicle, and I'm the only driver.

My previous rate was $145. Which was previously $135 before I brought my comp. deductible down.

This sucks.

Alright, who's got a better rate...who's got a worse rate?

2200 / year. 2 cars cx5 and Camry.
1 totalled car at fault and 2 claims one at fault and one uninsured(someone scratched car on windy day and drove off). Wife has 2 tickets- speeding and speeding in school zone where speed indicators were not very visible.
All in last 3 years.
Drive 30k miles per year combined for work.

My Camry SE will get depreciated fast. I hope to use it till 120k miles. Opt out of full coverage as kbb drops below 12k. Possible replacement is 2.0 CX5 with 12-14k cost.
After buying a new car last year I am not buying new for some time. 17k is my max for any car now-hybrid, 3 row, wagons etc all 17k upper limit.

Last edited:
I guess it is going up across the country. I renew every six months and at my previous renewal the rate was $723 and this renewal it is $834... Male, 40, no tickets since 2009, no claims since 2007. I called my insurance and they said the state of texas approved a rate hike because of the hurricane totaling so many cars in south texas (hand)

My new car insurance renewal rate for March? $166.72/month

Male, 27, no tickets since 2010, and last major claim in 2015 (all paid for by the guilty SOB who rear ended me though). Only vehicle, and I'm the only driver.

My previous rate was $145. Which was previously $135 before I brought my comp. deductible down.

This sucks.

Alright, who's got a better rate...who's got a worse rate?

I don't even know my rate, I do know...

I have a $1K ded. $0 ded glass, and $1M umbrella estate policy, a $20,000ish policy that covers my firearms (even covers dumb stuff like "fell off the 4 wheeler and got ran over" and baffle strikes on a suppressor), as well as my 2015 CX5, also a life insurance policy of 25 or 50K (I forget which), and Hospital income ($200 per ER visit, and $200/day I am hospitalized, pays directly to ME so I can cover bills, etc. while in the hospital). All of this runs me around $190ish, IIRC. State Farm.

Male, 32, only accidents on my record are the fault of others who cannot drive, no tickets, no current lawsuits against my practice or my estate. Basically the kind of customer they give the best rate to. I live in SW MO.

42, male, no infractions or points on my license.

~$850/yr for the 2016 CX5 GT

went up to ~$1,000/yr when I swapped it out for the 2014 QX70

Rates depend on where you live and age and record and gender.

Very hard to compare between any of us unless we match up. But we have seen some of our auto rates climb every year for no reason (no tickets in 5 years, no claims of any kind in 20 years. State Farm has given us the best rates lately - we shop every time they go up. And having their bluetooth puck (which i hate but is not ODB plugin) gives us a measurable discount for driving somewhat sane, though I admit to a C+ on speed. :)

We have had all the major carriers over the years - if you don't like your rate, shop around. We have seen huge discounts just by switching every few years. Oh, and if you have homeowners with auto, you usually see bigger discounts.

Insurance is high here in WA state as well. I care to not post my costs.

It is also true that multi policy holders get discounts as well as seniors, accident free, and on. Sometimes you have to ask for them.

For a state that requires insurance to drive, we have a lot of drivers with no insurance running around. Most of them are illegals.

$1895/year for mine.

I reached out and they claimed all the hailstorm from last May (which yes did a tremendous amount of damage, $2B I think), and all the uninsured/unlicensed motorists moving here causing wrecks.

Think I will be shopping around again. At $145 it was $20 cheaper than everyone else when I shopped around last year. Sigh.

Last edited:
NJ/NY - 2 drivers ; 1 driver has 2 totals (at fault) and 1 accident ; other driver: not even a speeding ticket. +15 years history. 2 cars - nissan sentra 2017 and CX-5 2016. $260 / month. Plymouth rock.

Note: I wrote s/w for insurance company and so I know this for a fact: every time you use Insurance to fix even windshield it goes into CLU record under category - comprehensive claim less than $1000. That adds to next insurance premium.

Last edited:
NJ/NY - 2 drivers ; 1 driver has 2 totals (at fault) and 1 accident ; other driver: not even a speeding ticket. +15 years history. 2 cars - nissan sentra 2017 and CX-5 2016. $260 / month. Plymouth rock.

Note: I wrote s/w for insurance company and so I know this for a fact: every time you use Insurance to fix even windshield it goes into CLU record under category - comprehensive claim less than $1000. That adds to next insurance premium.

A very good point. I always think carefully on comprehensive type incidents. On the three I’ve experienced I just paid out of my pocket rather than use the insurance. In the long run it likely saved me quite a bit of $$. That goes for homeowners as well.

Hmm...so even a windshield? I got that done back in August or September. Was $100 on the comp. deductible.

Atlanta:

$711 for 6 months for '13 RDX and '17 CX-5.
No accidents
1 speeding ticket about 10 years ago.

My premiums have been quite stable, even replacing 2 windshields under 0-ded in 2 years. At least, I never noticed it change more than 2-3 dollars every renewal (sometimes going down). Well worth it.

My premiums have been quite stable, even replacing 2 windshields under 0-ded in 2 years. At least, I never noticed it change more than 2-3 dollars every renewal (sometimes going down). Well worth it.

try CHANGING insurance company ; not renewals. You can look up CLU records yourself.

try CHANGING insurance company ; not renewals. You can look up CLU records yourself.

I've changed companies. Nothing happened. Actually, that's a lie, the rate went DOWN by about $600/6mo while my protections stayed the same.

Also, I transferred offices/states with the same company, and again, rates went down.

I just have not had a problem with it. They also said it would not hurt me...and it has not. I am not saying there is no record of it, as I am sure there is. Just that I could care less as it hasn't hurt me over the years one bit, changing companies, moving states, whatever.

These rates seem really high.

I have a collision and liability coverage on both a 2016 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L RWD and a 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT FWD.

My monthly bill is $99.

$1,200 / per year
Full coverage on
2016 CX-5
2013 Volvo C70.

Yea, I'm not complaining.

Back