Deal on Blizzak WS80's

You may be overthinking this, CD. You're gonna get every opinion from black to white about what to do, and every contradictory opinion makes it more confusing to think thru. So here's my 2 cents:

Get the Blizzaks. Then you can relax for the rest of the winter [about tires, anyway]. You'll be driving on non-icy/snow covered roads most of the time until you'd be ready to put summers on. That'll give you plenty of time to get a good idea of how they handle in the dry and rain. Carefully measure the tread, and see how much wear you get in the next 3 months. Then you'll have enough info to decide for yourself if you can or want to live with them all summer. Since you're getting them so cheap, the financial hit won't be so bad if you wear them out sooner than you might have. No matter what you eventually decide, you come out ahead. And you don't have to strain your brain deciding right now, not even knowing how the Blizzaks will do for you.

You may be overthinking this, CD. You're gonna get every opinion from black to white about what to do, and every contradictory opinion makes it more confusing to think thru. So here's my 2 cents:

Get the Blizzaks. Then you can relax for the rest of the winter [about tires, anyway]. You'll be driving on non-icy/snow covered roads most of the time until you'd be ready to put summers on. That'll give you plenty of time to get a good idea of how they handle in the dry and rain. Carefully measure the tread, and see how much wear you get in the next 3 months. Then you'll have enough info to decide for yourself if you can or want to live with them all summer. Since you're getting them so cheap, the financial hit won't be so bad if you wear them out sooner than you might have. No matter what you eventually decide, you come out ahead. And you don't have to strain your brain deciding right now, not even knowing how the Blizzaks will do for you.

why would he use winter tires in the summer? what kind of advice is this?

Yeah, I think you are right. I'm having the analysis paralysis LOL!

I am going to go ahead and get them. If I put them on now, I can get another summer out of my current all-seasons and then put the winters back on next winter and not have to get a new set of summer tires until next year.

I think that is what I am going to do.

As for another set of wheels to put them on, will have to do that at a later time. I'm looking to be cheap right now. Spend $360 + install now to cover me the rest of winter, use the remaining life of my current set for this summer, put the winters back on in winter, then worry about a new summer set next May, and by then maybe another set of wheels.

I think that makes sense.

Last edited:

I am going to go ahead and get them. If I put them on now, I can get another summer out of my current all-seasons and then put the winters back on next winter and not have to get a new set of summer tires until next year.

As for another set of wheels to put them on, will have to do that at a later time. I'm looking to be cheap right now. Spend $360 + install now to cover me the rest of winter, use the remaining life of my current set for this summer, put the winters back on in winter, then worry about a new summer set next May, and by then maybe another set of wheels.

That does make sense. Then you'll only be out an extra mounting and balancing x2.

And I know it feels good to decide! "What, me worry?"

That does make sense. Then you'll only be out an extra mounting and balancing x2.

And I know it feels good to decide! "What, me worry?"

(drinks)

Just ordered. It's the Walmart by my work. Can pick them up Friday.

Erm...make that Monday. Wonder why so long.

Now to price out where to get them installed.

Last edited:
Nice buy, considering the price.

Heres something to think about. Once you get a price on mounting and balancing, multiply that by 2 for this summer and next fall.

Then check these out. DTD is having their Presidents Day sale and these particular Konigs could be yours for $236! Yes, you have to use their credit card to maximize rebates but Ive done it in the past and they normally offer interest free financing for at least 6 months. While you cant apply the rebate directly to your bill, there is a loop hole. I use the rebate cards for groceries. Then I use the cash I would have spent on the groceries to pay the bill.

Youll also need to factor in a set of tuner lugs and 1 mount and balance for the Blizzaks but then you are set for winter for a few seasons.

Just when you thought you were done making decisions. Lol

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-wheels/konig-control/p/78104

Solid plan. You can get some nice JDM rims with Yokohama performance tires for the summer. Itll be a blast.

Heres something to think about. Once you get a price on mounting and balancing, multiply that by 2 for this summer and next fall.

Then check these out. DTD is having their Presidents Day sale and these particular Konigs could be yours for $236! Yes, you have to use their credit card to maximize rebates but Ive done it in the past and they normally offer interest free financing for at least 6 months. While you cant apply the rebate directly to your bill, there is a loop hole. I use the rebate cards for groceries. Then I use the cash I would have spent on the groceries to pay the bill.

Youll also need to factor in a set of tuner lugs and 1 mount and balance for the Blizzaks but then you are set for winter for a few seasons.

Cheers. Will check these out definitely for that price.

nice rims and good price, but I think I would go for an 8" rim

Cheers. Will check these out definitely for that price.

They have some other around the same price point, I just linked those as an example. Figure if you are looking for a cheap set of wheels to use for winter, now is a good week to buy them. They usually run the same sale on July 4th and Labor Day.

nice rims and good price, but I think I would go for an 8" rim

If I were buying a set for summer, yes I'd look into 8" or wider but for winter use I'd go with a narrower wheel.

I don't know much about wheel sizes, but I believe the OEM wheels are 7"

What tire size did you buy?

They have some other around the same price point, I just linked those as an example. Figure if you are looking for a cheap set of wheels to use for winter, now is a good week to buy them. They usually run the same sale on July 4th and Labor Day.

If I were buying a set for summer, yes I'd look into 8" or wider but for winter use I'd go with a narrower wheel.

Narrower is better for winter correct. But I would go with a 225 tire which fits optimally on a 7.5 or 8rim. 7 is more suitable for a 215 tire.

Yep, it did save you some $$$! :)

Have you ever got price match successfully from Discount Tire Store?

For mounting and balancing with good price, try Costco or Discount Tire.

Nope and now the deal is done, so I just went ahead and ordered from walmart.

What tire size did you buy?

Narrower is better for winter correct. But I would go with a 225 tire which fits optimally on a 7.5 or 8”rim. 7” is more suitable for a 215 tire.

OEM tire size for 2014 CX-5 Touring is 225/65/R17 which is what I got.

Truthfully I had another bad weekend this past weekend. My tires couldn't handle it.

I would normally not go the 2 different sets route, but February me is liking under $400 for a set of tires. Can worry about a new regular set in a few months.

Can't they just put them on my existing wheels?

Ahh you've seen the light! Welcome..mount em up on separate wheels or use your 17s then upgrade to something nicer/bigger/wider for summer. Nice deal!

Back