Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52

Thread: Deal on Blizzak WS80's

  1. #1
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,799

    Deal on Blizzak WS80's

    So I was searching tires again and this pops up. $87.27 each. $369 for 4.

    WS80's

    What am I missing here, or is this just a great deal and I should shut up and buy them already?
    Last edited by ColoradoDriver; 02-12-2018 at 02:52 PM.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 76k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

  2. #2
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,446
    Maybe overstock, maybe end of winter tire sales season? Sounds cheap.
    Blizzaks may no longer be the very best, but they still should be great, especially at that price.

  3. #3
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,953

    Arrow Deal on Blizzak WS80's

    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    So I was searching tires again and this pops up. $87.27 each. $369 for 4.

    WS80's

    What am I missing here, or is this just a great deal and I should shut up and buy them already?
    If you really feel you need a set of snow tires, this Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 for such a good price definitely is an excellent opportunity to get a set. You also need a set of 17Ē wheels too.

  4. #4
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    If you really feel you need a set of snow tires, this Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 for such a good price definitely is an excellent opportunity to get a set. You also need a set of 17” wheels too.
    Truthfully I had another bad weekend this past weekend. My tires couldn't handle it.

    I would normally not go the 2 different sets route, but February me is liking under $400 for a set of tires. Can worry about a new regular set in a few months.

    Can't they just put them on my existing wheels?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  5. #5
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Can't they just put them on my existing wheels?
    Why couldn't they? You've got 17s, right?

    I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but you may find that the Blizzaks are so good on a dry road that you MIGHT keep them on in the summer if you really wanted/needed to for some reason. Of course, there are many reasons to NOT run them year round. But if money's tight in April, it would be an option. This deal is so cheap it wouldn't hurt quite as bad to waste the tread on dry roads. Then again, I think I remember you described yourself as a spirited driver, and they're NOT real good for that.

  6. #6
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Why couldn't they? You've got 17s, right?

    I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but you may find that the Blizzaks are so good on a dry road that you MIGHT keep them on in the summer if you really wanted/needed to for some reason. Of course, there are many reasons to NOT run them year round. But if money's tight in April, it would be an option. This deal is so cheap it wouldn't hurt quite as bad to waste the tread on dry roads. Then again, I think I remember you described yourself as a spirited driver, and they're NOT real good for that.
    Yep, just my regular OEM 17inch wheels.

    Money will be less tight in a few months. I was just going to wait to get new tires, but after another weekend of tires not performing when it snowed, it seemed like a decent deal to go with in the interim. I am a spirited driver, so would put regular tires back on in the summer.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  7. #7
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,953

    Arrow Deal on Blizzak WS80's

    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Truthfully I had another bad weekend this past weekend. My tires couldn't handle it.

    I would normally not go the 2 different sets route, but February me is liking under $400 for a set of tires. Can worry about a new regular set in a few months.

    Can't they just put them on my existing wheels?
    You sure can put these Blizzak WS80's on your existing OE wheels. But you have to pay dismounting and mounting fee with balancing every time you switch the tires which wonít be cheap. Youíre also running into the risk of getting the wheel scratched due to frequent mounting and dismounting.

    Donít remember the condition of your current tires, but if theyíre more than half-worn at about 4/32Ē tread depth, you may consider to get a new set of all season tires which will have better performance than your current tires during the winter.

    Or you can always drive slower and be more cautious on icy road condition trying to survive the winter with your current all-season tires.

    I think Iíve figured out why the price is low on this Bridgestone Blizzak WS80. Itís because Bridgestone has discounted 225/65R17 size in this tire and WalMart.com apparently bought some last batch from Bridgestone for good price.

  8. #8
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    You sure can put these Blizzak WS80's on your existing OE wheels. But you have to pay dismounting and mounting fee with balancing every time you switch the tires which won’t be cheap. You’re also running into the risk of getting the wheel scratched due to frequent mounting and dismounting.

    Don’t remember the condition of your current tires, but if they’re more than half-worn at about 4/32” tread depth, you may consider to get a new set of all season tires which will have better performance than your current tires during the winter.

    Or you can always drive slower and be more cautious on icy road condition trying to survive the winter with your current all-season tires.

    I think I’ve figured out why the price is low on this Bridgestone Blizzak WS80. It’s because Bridgestone has discounted 225/65R17 size in this tire and WalMart.com apparently bought some last batch from Bridgestone for good price.
    Ah, that makes sense. I'll look at getting some wheels later most likely. Not an expense I am willing to pay upfront at the moment. One of my wheels is scratched up from a hit and run last year (minor, but left some damage to a wheel). Tried to follow the punk but lost him.

    My current all-seasons are probably about 5-6/32nd. Not quite down to 4 yet.

    I was thinking along the lines of some new all-seasons, but I'm cheap right now, so $370 for 4 tires + install sounds nice.

    Thanks guys...I'm going to put in a couple of inquiries for install costs, and mull it around.

    I would just wait, but that's 2 weekends even driving slow that I slid around too much for my comfort. So more approaching this from a safety standpoint + being cheap.
    Last edited by ColoradoDriver; 02-12-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  9. #9
    Registered Member
    Donated: $15

    2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ABE area, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Why couldn't they? You've got 17s, right?

    I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but you may find that the Blizzaks are so good on a dry road that you MIGHT keep them on in the summer if you really wanted/needed to for some reason. Of course, there are many reasons to NOT run them year round. But if money's tight in April, it would be an option. This deal is so cheap it wouldn't hurt quite as bad to waste the tread on dry roads. Then again, I think I remember you described yourself as a spirited driver, and they're NOT real good for that.

    There probably wouldn't be enough useful tread left for the following winter if you did that. Snow tires don't like warm weather. Would be a big waste of money.

  10. #10
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    There probably wouldn't be enough useful tread left for the following winter if you did that. Snow tires don't like warm weather. Would be a big waste of money.
    Yeah, if I get these I will also get another set for the summer or use my current all-seasons 1 more summer.

    Could be a good way to make me feel a little safer in the current weather and maybe postpone a $600+ new regular tire expense to next year.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  11. #11
    Banned GJ-Molestor's Avatar

    2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,798
    that is a great deal, honestly I'd buy them right away.

    blizzaks are more toward the heavy snow side (meaning they are loud, more rough and less economical than some other winter tires) and apparently after the 50% treadwear point it essentially becomes an all season tire, and the treadwear is not very good with this tire but they are quite excellent in harsh conditions. just keep in mind something like those yokohama iceguard's i mentioned in the past will outlast those blizzaks by a long shot, especially if your winter driving isnt all snowy, non dry conditions.

    but i digress.... that's one hell of a deal. just buy them.

  12. #12
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    There probably wouldn't be enough useful tread left for the following winter if you did that. Snow tires don't like warm weather. Would be a big waste of money.
    Depends on the tire, I guess. And your mileage of course. I've done it successfully [not successively] several times in the post-stud era.

  13. #13
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,799
    Quote Originally Posted by GJ-Molestor View Post
    that is a great deal, honestly I'd buy them right away.

    blizzaks are more toward the heavy snow side (meaning they are loud, more rough and less economical than some other winter tires) and apparently after the 50% treadwear point it essentially becomes an all season tire, and the treadwear is not very good with this tire but they are quite excellent in harsh conditions. just keep in mind something like those yokohama iceguard's i mentioned in the past will outlast those blizzaks by a long shot, especially if your winter driving isnt all snowy, non dry conditions.

    but i digress.... that's one hell of a deal. just buy them.
    Yeah I was leaning away from Blizzaks for that reason as we will have warm 50 degree+ days in between snow.

    But it's a damn good price...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  14. #14
    Banned GJ-Molestor's Avatar

    2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,798
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Yeah I was leaning away from Blizzaks for that reason as we will have warm 50 degree+ days in between snow.

    But it's a damn good price...
    For the price it doesn’t matter much.. unless you can score a good deal on tires with exemplary treadwear, you won’t be saving much more money elsewhere with other tires.

    I remember going out for the first drive in the snow after putting winter tires onto my BMW. You will wonder why you didn’t do it sooner. Maybe I like them so much because they are really smooth and quiet on dry pavement for a winter tire though.

  15. #15
    Registered Member

    2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    519
    If the damn diesel was out I'd be all over those tires. That's a great deal.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Mazda 17" factory rims for CX-5 with Bridgestone Blizzaks WS80 (CO)
    By ClangClang in forum Mazda CX Models For Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2016, 08:34 PM
  2. Blizzak DM-V2 or WS80's or Michelin - Latitude X-Ice XI2
    By Zooming Alaskan in forum CX-5 Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-13-2016, 01:31 PM
  3. Will this work? 17" Enkei FD-05 & Blizzak WS80 on 2015 CX-5 GT
    By zlocity in forum CX-5 Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-02-2015, 07:13 PM
  4. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV vs Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 for dedicated winter tire?
    By davefr in forum CX-5 Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-31-2015, 12:01 PM
  5. Blizzak WS70 or Blizzak DM-V1???
    By mazdaspd96 in forum CX-5 Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-10-2012, 02:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •