Deal on Blizzak WS80's

You've seen the light! Welcome..mount em up on separate wheels or use your 17s then upgrade to something nicer/bigger/wider for summer.

I still contend my all-seasons did fine previous winters, but they aren't working so well this month at between 5 and 6/32nd tread left.

What would you recommend for summer for size and tire?

I run stock 19s with oe Toyos (that I got a deal on) which isn't the best option but cx5 isn't really my summer car:).. Had I started w/the 17s I would have used those for winter and likely gone with 235/60-18..just try to keep the total weight at or below stock if possible..depends how aggressive you want to be but these caught me eye..some on TR some on DTD
Scorpion Verde
Eagle sport A/S
Conti DWS or sportcontact5
Cooper CS5 Ultra Tour

I still contend my all-seasons did fine previous winters, but they aren't working so well this month at between 5 and 6/32nd tread left.

What would you recommend for summer for size and tire?
I have no doubt you are right.

You know, tread depth isn't the only factor in the winter. The age of the tires makes a big difference, too. As they age and add miles, the rubber becomes harder and less sticky. If yours are 3 or 4 years old, it's not surprising they're not doing so well on ice.
(drive2)

I have no doubt you are right.

You know, tread depth isn't the only factor in the winter. The age of the tires makes a big difference, too. As they age and add miles, the rubber becomes harder and less sticky. If yours are 3 or 4 years old, it's not surprising they're not doing so well on ice.
(drive2)
4 years almost, so makes sense.

In my experience AS worn halfway or more were essentially useless but I'm sure its a combination of age and wear though good point.

What are your current all-season tires? You have had them for 4 years but how many miles?

Michelin Latitude Tour

Put on in Aug 2014 at 18,500 miles. I am now at 61,200 miles.
Michelin Latitude Tour 225/65R17 100T with 720 A B UTQG is not the best from Michelin for the size just based on specs. If you check consumer surveys from TireRack.com, youll find it ranked #10 out of 28 in Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tire category. Winter/Snow Performance scored only Fair at 6.4, and Would You Recommend? also scored Fair at 6.5.

For comparison Michelin Premier LTX 225/65R17 102H with 620 A A UTQG looked better on specs other than treadwear, ranked #1 out of 28 in Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tire category. Winter/Snow Performance scored Good at 7.7, and Would You Recommend? also scored Good at 7.8.

Even General AltiMAX RT43 225/65R17 102H with 700 A A UTQG looked better on specs except treadwear, ranked #3 out of 44 in Grand Touring All-Season tire category, scored Good at 7.8 in Winter/Snow Performance, and scored Good at 8.1 in Would You Recommend?.

With 4 years and 42,700 miles of usage, no wonder you feel different in winter weather performance as your Michelin Latitude Tour is not that good for winter to start with.

Not all All-Season tires are created equal. Like Unobtanium said, better tires, are better tires. Period. :)

Michelin Latitude Tour 225/65R17 100T with “720 A B” UTQG is not the best from Michelin for the size just based on specs. If you check consumer surveys from TireRack.com, you’ll find it ranked #10 out of 28 in Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tire category. “Winter/Snow Performance” scored only “Fair” at 6.4, and “Would You Recommend?” also scored “Fair” at 6.5.

For comparison Michelin Premier LTX 225/65R17 102H with “620 A A” UTQG looked better on specs other than treadwear, ranked #1 out of 28 in Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tire category. “Winter/Snow Performance” scored “Good” at 7.7, and “Would You Recommend?” also scored “Good” at 7.8.

Even General AltiMAX RT43 225/65R17 102H with “700 A A” UTQG looked better on specs except treadwear, ranked #3 out of 44 in Grand Touring All-Season tire category, scored “Good” at 7.8 in “Winter/Snow Performance”, and scored “Good” at 8.1 in “Would You Recommend?”.

With 4 years and 42,700 miles of usage, no wonder you feel different in winter weather performance as your Michelin Latitude Tour is not that good for winter to start with.

Not all All-Season tires are created equal. Like Unobtanium said, better tires, are better tires. Period. :)

They were actually much better rated on tire rack in Aug 2014 when I bought them. Their score has gone down over time (I have checked periodically). Also, at this time the Premier LTX did not exist. I contend my Latitude Tours actually did just fine in winter new, and last year they served me just fine driving from Denver to Salt Lake City, to San Francisco in January, and back, through 3 snowstorms, 2 of which were very heavy. I have put 30k miles on them since then though which probably accounts for the degraded performance the past 2 snowstorms. And I suspect that along with the newer tires that are out have contributed to its declining scores.

That said, I didn't know much about tire buying at the time. If I knew what I know now, I probably would have gotten something else.

But they served their time well for the most part. Now that I am getting some dedicated winter tires, will be looking for a new summer tire for next year (current Latitude Tour tires will go one more summer I think at between 5 and 6/32nd tread). Had I gone the 1 tire for all seasons, I probably would have replaced these with those General Altimax tires as they are rated pretty well. Now with snow tires, I will probably look at something a little higher performance for summer as I am a spirited driver.

Last edited:
They were actually much better rated on tire rack in Aug 2014 when I bought them. Their score has gone down over time (I have checked periodically).

Likely because new models are better performers, thus yours suffer by comparison. Four years and 42k+ miles ain't bad if you're only down to 5/32. One more good summer left in them anyway.

Likely because new models are better performers, thus yours suffer by comparison. Four years and 42k+ miles ain't bad if you're only down to 5/32. One more good summer left in them anyway.

Yep, my thought as well.

Snowed again last night and roads were a bit iced over.

Tires don't come in until Monday sadly.

Back