• 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
From EPA’s FuelEconomy.gov:

attachment.php

View attachment 218525View attachment 218526

so.. city goes up. highway goes up.. and thus naturally... the average stays the same

must be that new math folks are talking about.

so.. city goes up. highway goes up.. and thus naturally... the average stays the same

must be that new math folks are talking about.

Range stays the same, too. Something's not penciling out. Or somebody at the EPA forgot to change the range numbers on the "4WDs". How likely is it that it hasn't changed in four years? Who's got the tank cap specs?

Wait a minute. Why are we relying on EPA numbers [aside from there is no alternative]? Then why do we put any faith in their accuracy? I've NEVER had a car that got EPA rated mileage.

Last edited:
The 2018 is heavier then the 2017 - listed in another thread. About 38 pounds heavier if i recall, but not sure why.

Because of the noise isolation, which is a big improvement.

- the new exterior design is a lot better
- the interior is more sophisticated
- sound-insulating glasses
- power lift-tailgate
- front wiper de-icer
- heated steering wheel

For me the right choice is always 2018.

Range stays the same, too. Something's not penciling out. Or somebody at the EPA forgot to change the range numbers on the "4WDs". How likely is it that it hasn't changed in four years? Who's got the tank cap specs?

Wait a minute. Why are we relying on EPA numbers [aside from there is no alternative]? Then why do we put any faith in their accuracy? I've NEVER had a car that got EPA rated mileage.

EPA ratings (for all brands) were recalculated starting in 2017. You should be seeing real world numbers closer to the EPA rating now. For example, the hwy rating for the current gen Mazda 6 used to be 37 mpg but now it's 35

My 2016 AWD CX5 GT was averaging 27.5 when I traded it in. I seemed to be on the higher end amongst members here.

My 2016 AWD CX5 GT was averaging 27.5 when I traded it in. I seemed to be on the higher end amongst members here.

My 2016.5 AWD CX5 GT has averaged 27.65 for the over 17k Miles I’ve tracked fill ups.

While I feature jack rabbit launches, I’m steady as you go once I reach the speed limit. (I use the adaptive cruise almost constantly). 50/50 City/hwy.

Mpg, mpg, mpg - it’s such a selfish attitude. All this opposition about CD is all about whether there are worthwhile gains in mpg. Not one of you has acknowledged the fact that it will inevitably bring gains of any amount in emission reduction. Can’t you see what internal combustion engines are doing?

Because of the noise isolation, which is a big improvement.

- the new exterior design is a lot better
- the interior is more sophisticated
- sound-insulating glasses
- power lift-tailgate
- front wiper de-icer
- heated steering wheel

For me the right choice is always 2018.
17 got all that. Exterior same. Interior same other then window switches. The 17 got the glass, too. NVH wasn't improved in 18, nor did it need to be as 17 is quiestest in class.

Are the 17 inch wheels a nicer ride than the 19 inch wheels?

I wonder if the 2 inch difference in wheel size plays a role in MPG since the taller tire will rotate less RPM?

I wonder if the 2 inch difference in wheel size plays a role in MPG since the taller tire will rotate less RPM?
17s absorb bumps and imperfections better than 19s

Since the overall circumference of the tire and wheel between the 17" and 19" combos still remains the same between the two sizes, so does the RPM. It is the SIDEWALL height that is changed.

Since the overall circumference of the tire and wheel between the 17" and 19" combos still remains the same between the two sizes, so does the RPM. It is the SIDEWALL height that is changed.

I see. So the only difference is in the look and the 17s offer better road cushion since the sidewall is taller. Short sidewalls tend to be stiffer but they do handle a little better on curves.

I'm completely satisfied with my '17; but if I were buying today I'd get the '18 for the minor updates (i.e. all windows auto-down and switches lit) and one less year of depreciation when/if traded.

I see. So the only difference is in the look and the 17s offer better road cushion since the sidewall is taller. Short sidewalls tend to be stiffer but they do handle a little better on curves.

Basically what I said above :)

Last edited:
I'm completely satisfied with my '17; but if I were buying today I'd get the '18 for the minor updates (i.e. all windows auto-down and switches lit) and one less year of depreciation when/if traded.

You pay that year of depreciation up front with the 18.

Don't forget dial controls for the centre vents :D

Back