2016 OEM Remote Start - issue with 2nd. rem. start key fob

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
I have Mazda OEM Remote start installed and have 1 remote start key fob configured and working. These key fobs are pretty costly but found a good deal @ eBay and bought a 2nd. one. It's marked "Used" however I thought it'd be okay and I should be able to re-program it for my vehicle.

Try as much as I can however the stated instructions to program does not work with this 2nd. key fob. The 1st point is to press the button with 3 dots and await the confirmation beeps from receiver and fob itself. It does not happen. My thought is - this key fob was registered to talk with another car but there's no documentation/nothing on how I can possibly reset it to factory defaults. Does anyone has any lead on how to do it please?

You can't "reset" they key fob, the progamming info is stored in the remote start ecu in the vehicle, not in the key fob.

I found this that may or may not be helpful to you.

You want the ignition status to be OFF before you begin, just as it says in the instructions.

1) Press the registration button once, then press it again while the LCD display is shown, and hold it until it beeps.
The ECU will now reply with 2 long beeps. If not, start over. (Also, the RS fob will chirp again, the factory instructions don't mention this)

2) Hold the first factory fob up to the car's round start button and press the car's round start button twice to the ON position. Leave your foot off the brake so that the car does not start. The red security indicator (a car behind a lock) on the car's dash panel should come on solid for a few seconds and then shut off. If it blinks, you need to shut the car off and start over from step one of the programming process.

3) After the security indicator shuts off, move the factory fob away from the car's round start button and press the car's round start button once to shut the car power off. The red security indicator should flash. If the ECU makes 2 long beeps and a short one, you need to start over from step one of the programming process..

4) Without touching the RS fob, hold your second factory fob up to the start button and press the car's round start button twice to the ON position. Leave your foot off the brake so that the car does not start. The red security indicator should come on solid for a few seconds and then shut off. If it blinks, you need to shut the car off and start over from step one of the programming process, including the part with the first factory fob.

5) After the security indicator shuts off, move the factory fob away from the the car's round start button and press the car's round start button once to shut the car power off. The red security indicator should flash. If the ECU makes 2 long beeps and a short one, you need to start over from step one of the programming process., including the part with the first factory fob..

6) Press the Stop button on the RS Fob until it beeps. The car ignition status should be automatically set to ON at this point. If not, you need to start over from step one of the programming process., including the part with the first factory fob.

7) Test the remote starter according to the owners manual instructions.

Last edited:
You can't "reset" they key fob, the progamming info is stored in the remote start ecu in the vehicle, not in the key fob.
I found this that may or may not be helpful to you.
You want the ignition status to be OFF before you begin, just as it says in the instructions.
1) Press the registration button once, then press it again while the LCD display is shown, and hold it until it beeps.
The ECU will now reply with 2 long beeps. If not, start over. (Also, the RS fob will chirp again, the factory instructions don't mention this)
This is where it doesn't work. I press once, then immediately press again till it chirps. The LCD display start showing the arrow stating "going out" and then "coming back in" type of arrows. The receiver doesn't chirp back at all and at the end - the LCD reports "Err". When trying with the fob, already registered - no issues: immediately almost the the receiver reports back with 2 chirps.

This is where it doesn't work. I press once, then immediately press again till it chirps. The LCD display start showing the arrow stating "going out" and then "coming back in" type of arrows. The receiver doesn't chirp back at all and at the end - the LCD reports "Err". When trying with the fob, already registered - no issues: immediately almost the the receiver reports back with 2 chirps.

My guess is that it likely won't program. "Used" sometimes is short for "abused and won't work". Sorry.

IskiE

My guess is that it likely won't program. "Used" sometimes is short for "abused and won't work". Sorry.

IskiE

Ah well.... will try it few more times! Just took it apart, just 4 screws holding it - will try to figure out the schematics.

I cannot complete programing procedures, I alway receive code A1 on RES and hear 2 long beeps and 4 short beeps. Can any one help me to overcome this matter. Thanks

Back