Current CX-5 Owner Looking for a Mazda 3

:
2016.5 Touring w/Tech
Hey Guys -

I haven't been around here for a few months now - been happily enjoying my 2016.5 CX-5 that I've had for just over a year now (with about 12K on it).
My Mazda flag-waving has paid off, though, as my wife is looking for a new car and I've successfully steered her toward a Mazda 3. (Actually, though I certainly mentioned it, she came to decide on the 3 on her own, having compared it favorably to the Subaru Impreza and Honda Civic that she had been considering.

I know there's a M3 forum here, but it doesn't seem as active and I know and trust you CX-5 drivers more. So let me ask you more experienced Mazda aficionados what you think of the 3? Anything I/she/we should be concerned about, anything you'd recommend instead? Anything I, as a CX-5 driver, might like or dislike? This all happened pretty quickly and we may have to pull the trigger next weekend, but we still haven't test driven it yet. TIA

I would definitely go with the 3 over a Civic or Impreza. Though neither of those are bad really. I just find the Civic to be a bit odd style wise and I’m not a cvt fan. Impreza is a solid platform but a bit underpowered compared to the 3 or Civic. Also cvt meh. Other car I’d suggest looking at is VW Golf.

Be aware that Golfs come with DSG transmissions and they are prone to stuttering/hesitation at low speeds. This can translate to slow reaction times when you want to suddenly accelerate from low speeds.

Mazda 3 is a nice choice.

Be aware that Golfs come with DSG transmissions and they are prone to stuttering/hesitation at low speeds. This can translate to slow reaction times when you want to suddenly accelerate from low speeds.

Mazda 3 is a nice choice.

In the US we get a planetary torque converter auto with the golf. GTI gets dsg wet clutch which is better. Personally I like the DSG in the GTI.

All of ours are 7 speed DSG

Wet or dry clutch? If wet imo that’s a great transmission. Dry dual clutch transmissions are as smooth at low speed but I’d still prefer that over a cvt. Mazda does make a very nice planetary though.

Wet or dry clutch? If wet imo that’s a great transmission. Dry dual clutch transmissions are as smooth at low speed but I’d still prefer that over a cvt. Mazda does make a very nice planetary though.

Dry clutch for lower spec models.

Mazda automatics are probably one of the best transmissions out there

Hey Guys -

I haven't been around here for a few months now - been happily enjoying my 2016.5 CX-5 that I've had for just over a year now (with about 12K on it).
My Mazda flag-waving has paid off, though, as my wife is looking for a new car and I've successfully steered her toward a Mazda 3. (Actually, though I certainly mentioned it, she came to decide on the 3 on her own, having compared it favorably to the Subaru Impreza and Honda Civic that she had been considering.

I know there's a M3 forum here, but it doesn't seem as active and I know and trust you CX-5 drivers more. So let me ask you more experienced Mazda aficionados what you think of the 3? Anything I/she/we should be concerned about, anything you'd recommend instead? Anything I, as a CX-5 driver, might like or dislike? This all happened pretty quickly and we may have to pull the trigger next weekend, but we still haven't test driven it yet. TIA

You are aware that an all new 3 is on the horizon and may be in showrooms by the end of the year or early next? I'm probably going to downsize to a 3 (or other 5 door hatch/wagon) within a year and am keeping my options open for a new 3 (which hopefully will improve on some of the current model's interior space utilization issues) or a close out deal on the current model. I'm also half expecting Mazda to come out with a 2018.5 update of the current car before the 2019 model hits. But that may be just my own personal fantasy!

You are aware that an all new 3 is on the horizon and may be in showrooms by the end of the year or early next? I'm probably going to downsize to a 3 (or other 5 door hatch/wagon) within a year and am keeping my options open for a new 3 (which hopefully will improve on some of the current model's interior space utilization issues) or a close out deal on the current model. I'm also half expecting Mazda to come out with a 2018.5 update of the current car before the 2019 model hits. But that may be just my own personal fantasy!

2019 is when new version will appear in showrooms

Back on topic, I've owned all three Mazda3 generations (all hatchbacks).
I can definitely recommend the 3.
The current generation handles like you'd expect, is relatively quiet, has reasonable straight-line performance, and is very well made.
The biggest downside for my use is limited rear seat legroom.

Compared to the competition (including my recently-sold '17 Civic Si) IMO the 3 is the class act.
If your wife likes the way the CX-5 handles, she'll likely love the 3.

Good luck with your decision.

Did the same thing, I got a CX-5 and two years later my wife got a 3. This generation of 3 is due for a refresh soon, but otherwise a great vehicle. Some people will make a bigger deal of this than they should, but many of the 3's sold here are built in Mexico. Our mexican built 3 is put together better than my Japan-built CX-5. Less rattles and vibrations all around.

I saw on a roadmap published somewhere that a new infotainment unit is coming - maybe 2019.

Edit: Apparently it is shared with Toyota: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Deals/Toyota-Mazda-collaborating-on-connected-car-software

Last edited:
I drove the 15 Civic gave it a try. Felt bad. That's one problem with owning a Mazda. Pretty much everything in price range is bad.

Hey Guys -

I have a 2014 CX-5 GT and purchased a 2017 Mazda 3 Touring that is primarily driven by my son. The Mazda 3 is a great car that is really fun to drive and very economical. My son is averaging 31 MPG at an average speed of only 12 MPH - he spends most his time stuck in traffic. The only nits are that the paint and metal is thin. If you scrap the car on anything, you will take paint off and it will rust and rust fast. Buy some touch up paint and keep up on spots.

(iagree) - drove 2014 model and I liked it back then. With all the subtle improvements since, should be better still

Back