Remote starter, engine stops when door is opened. Normal?

xdsmallx

:
2017 CX-5
I have the Mazda remote start app for my 2017 CX-5. After starting remotely when I open a door the engine stops, is this a normal safety feature? First time I've seen a vehicle do this, but then this is my first push to start car. Thanks!

Last edited:
Nothing specific in the starter reference manual or help files. Haven't looked at the owner's manual thinking it wouldn't be covered since it is a add on, but I'll check.

Nothing specific in the starter reference manual or help files. Haven't looked at the owner's manual thinking it wouldn't be covered since it is a add on, but I'll check.

I doubt you will find optional accessories covered in the owners manual.

What you describes sounds unusual. Did the Mobile Start come with any instructions? The device itself is usually a dealer installed option - it should have come with its own booklet. See if the dealer packed that in with the other manuals.

It's totally 100% normal. If it didn't do that I could steal your car. Your dealer didn't go over this with you?

I actually meant the remote starter's owner's manual/instructions.

Yep thiss normal for genuine Mazda Remote Start and Mazda Mobile Start. Aftermarket kit or many OEM remote starts from other brand of vehicles have smarter and better way to prevent theft. The engine only gets shut down automatically if the system cant detect the key fob while the vehicle starts moving.

Yep this’s normal for genuine Mazda Remote Start and Mazda Mobile Start. Aftermarket kit or many OEM remote starts from other brand of vehicles have smarter and better way to prevent theft. The engine only gets shut down automatically if the system can’t detect the key fob while the vehicle starts moving.

Or the door could remain locked [or lock if it was initially unlocked] unless the fob is sensed. Sounds like Mazda's system is pretty lame.

I have the Mazda remote start app for my 2017 CX-5. After starting remotely when I open a door the engine stops, is this a normal safety feature? First time I've seen a vehicle do this, but then this is my first push to start car. Thanks!

I have the basic $400 remote start I had installed from the dealer. When they installed it they told me it would shut off when the door is opened but when the technician showed me it didn't shut off and it hasn't since. It does shut off if I get in and step on the brake so I learned to get in and first press the start button then step in the brake and even though the heater does stop blowing for a moment the car remains running.

I have the basic $400 remote start I had installed from the dealer. When they installed it they told me it would shut off when the door is opened but when the technician showed me it didn't shut off and it hasn't since. It does shut off if I get in and step on the brake so I learned to get in and first press the start button then step in the brake and even though the heater does stop blowing for a moment the car remains running.
Post a photo of the key fob. Pretty certain its not Mazda.

No one said it: but OEM remote have 1 big advantage. It can start the rear defroster which also turns on the heated side mirrors if so equipped. Finally if you have BT can car is mapped remote starting it using OEM does not enable it. Thats a big plus. If you are in a call it doesnt disappear. HA ha.Headlights also.

Back