Clutch questions

Jimmymp5

:
2003 Protege5
How is everyone doing? I just joined and I have a blue P5 that ive had for about 2 years, shes got 205k miles on it and burns about 1.5 qts of oil a week.... I have an engine in putting in in the next few weeks but I was having a hard time finding a clutch for it. So I called Mazda to ask if it was the same clutch that would go into a regular protege 2.0l and they told me there are 4 different clutch designs for my car. Is that actually the case? And if so where would I go to find a clutch and a flywheel? Thanks so much!

How is everyone doing? I just joined and I have a blue P5 that ive had for about 2 years, shes got 205k miles on it and burns about 1.5 qts of oil a week.... I have an engine in putting in in the next few weeks but I was having a hard time finding a clutch for it. So I called Mazda to ask if it was the same clutch that would go into a regular protege 2.0l and they told me there are 4 different clutch designs for my car. Is that actually the case? And if so where would I go to find a clutch and a flywheel? Thanks so much!

as per the oil consumption issue - what sort of oil/weight are you putting in the car?

I think your best bet would be to find one in a scrapyard, buy a cheap running beaten down 2L protege and swap it's clutch in, or perhaps look for some new OEM parts?

you can always just get an aftermarket clutch, i'm sure that will be easier. you will probably also want a new flywheel or to at least resurface the old one.

You must not be looking too hard. Any parts store can get you a clutch kit.

Unless your current clutch is slipping or has been abused, no need to replace the flywheel.

Exedy KMZ08 is the clutch that I would go with. Get it from Amazon, Rockauto, etc...

Last edited:
X2 on the Exedy KMZ08 MrGiggles mentioned. Great clutch for dirt cheap. I have one and it's perfect. Bought it for 98 bucks. Can't beat that. Isn't Exedy OEM for the Proteges? Thought I saw the name on the original clutch when it was replaced.
But yes, have the flywheel resurfaced if you don't replace it altogether.

I’ve read by many on here that the flywheels on the P5’s being resurfaced are not recommended bc they will be too thin and could warp. Honestly just buy a new flywheel Rockauto has them for like $45. Don’t risk resurfacing and having issues down the road it’s a risk i wouldn’t take for the cheap cost of a new flywheel.

I would rather have a resurfaced OEM flywheel than a new cheap one. You get what you pay for, and the OEM flywheel is going to be much better quality than a $45 flywheel.

Ehh those new flywheels at that cost are perfectly fine to replace the old one. Many stores wether online or local will have the same flywheel brand at different prices. I’ve been very pleased with rockauto and never had any issues with any of the parts ordered from them even at a low cost. I was only suggesting my 2 cents but at the end of the day he makes his own decision.

My problem is not the retailer, but the after market brand. I would much rather have a high quality OEM unit than the cheap after market unit.

.... Dont risk resurfacing and having issues down the road its a risk i wouldnt take for the cheap cost of a new flywheel.

I Dunno ?? (dunno)

I'm just gonna do what the manual says...

Polish off the glazed spots and toss in a new clutch.
(unless it's cracked)

Ive read by many on here that the flywheels on the P5s being resurfaced are not recommended bc they will be too thin and could warp...

I'm pretty sure I don't have the fortitude to sand my flywheel enough to "thin" it out...

As far as the consumption, I am currently running 5w20 in there with BG MOA. I burn about 1 qt. a week. And I just wanted to make sure that any aftermarket clutch kit would work. I know I can get them pretty easily but the people at the parts stores say "I cant find a protege5 in our system"

As far as the consumption, I am currently running 5w20 in there with BG MOA. I burn about 1 qt. a week. And I just wanted to make sure that any aftermarket clutch kit would work. I know I can get them pretty easily but the people at the parts stores say "I cant find a protege5 in our system"

Ask him to just look up a Mazda protege with the 2L engine. Its the same drivetrain as your protege5.

And use a better quality oil. If you want cheap use shell rotella 5w40, if youre willing to spend get motul (they will drastically reduce your consumption)

stay away from the BG snake oils. They cause all sorts of problems and despite what they claim, BG are a bunch of liars and will not stand behind any kind of warranty. When I worked for the dealership they used my corolla for some training on how to use their stuff when they were first bringing in the BG stuff. Corolla didn't have high mileage and had absolutely nothing wrong with it. They smoked my cat converter and then claimed it was my fault (they did the service not me). Then refused to pay the $1k for a new cat converter. That was the "top engine cleaner" and mist stuff they spray in to clean the TB. Then another guy DESTROYED a transmission using their snake oil and a trans flush in a Sequoia (which is an otherwise bulletproof transmission). Another guy did a trans flush on a 4runner (another bulletproof transmission) and 2 days later the truck returned on a flat bed because it was slipping so bad it wouldn't drive under its own power.

BG SUCKS! It's all marketing, gimmick, and the techs LOVE to swear by it not because "it works" but because they put these little plastic pucks inside the cans. Supposed to collect and save all the pucks. At the end of the week the BG guy comes and gives the techs like 50 cents for each "puck". For the guys that "swear by" the BG crap it's only because they upsell that junk on every car they touch to collect the pucks and get an extra $30-40 when the BG guy comes around.

And they had this "super special chemical" that shows how strong the detergent is in their cleaners. They put in a couple drops and it turns purple, then however many drops it takes to turn it back to clear shows how "strong" the detergent is. They showed walmart brands, 1 or 2 drops back to clear. some others took 5 or 6 drops to go back to clear. They demonstrated how "amazing" their stuff is because it took like 20 drops to turn it back to clear. So I called the guy out and used some Toyota brand EFI cleaner. 20, 30, 40 drops it was still dark purple. He dumped in his entire bottle of magic drops and it still wasn't clear. It was lighter purple but nowhere near being clear again lol. That guy never spoke to me again after that, he went out of his way to pretend I didn't exist.

Anyway, I could go on and on with real life examples of how BG sucks but i'll end my little rant lol. As for the clutch, if it's not slipping I wouldn't worry about it much. I've got over 250k on my original clutch and it still works like new. but I don't abuse it or try to pretend it's not a race car either. But if you do replace it I'd just buy a new flywheel they're not that expensive and start with everything new. Generally new clutches and used flywheels have about a 50/50 chance of either working perfect or chattering.

I agree profusely. The best way to go is with regular changes using a high quality fluid. If you bought a high mileage car, or youre concerned about the engine crankcase being dirty, run a regular oil interval with shell rotella 5w40 and then take a look into your engine after that. It cleans out sludge like no tommorow plus its very tough and protective oil that flows excellent on cold starts. And its cheap!

Keep in mind the reason why im worrying about the clutch is that I actually have an engine that im installing in a few weeks, I got a SUPER deal on an engine a few months back, paid a few hundred dollars for it and it has 30k miles on it. Long Story short a buddy had a P5 and was about to do a motor swap but than totaled his car so he sold me the engine for less than he paid for it cuz he needed the cash pretty bad. Also on top of the oil consumption I have a low end rod knock from the engine.

Keep in mind the reason why im worrying about the clutch is that I actually have an engine that im installing in a few weeks, I got a SUPER deal on an engine a few months back, paid a few hundred dollars for it and it has 30k miles on it. Long Story short a buddy had a P5 and was about to do a motor swap but than totaled his car so he sold me the engine for less than he paid for it cuz he needed the cash pretty bad. Also on top of the oil consumption I have a low end rod knock from the engine.

Using 5w20 oil and then driving the s*** out of the motor can blow a rod bearing pretty quickly. Just take it easy on the new motor when she is cold, use a better quality oil and youre set

Yes, that will fit the Protege 5. Don't know about that quality though. And for around the same price, you can get a name brand exedy clutch that is proven to work well in our cars. Exedy was the OEM supplier, so you know its quality.

Back