Brake Pedal feel - softer then used to

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
The one thing about my '17 CX-5 I have noticed is that my pedal feels a little soft compared to other cars i have driven in the past. I have not tried to panic brake yet, but I do feel like it requires more pedal to stop then other cars.

In the reviews i read, it did have a longer stopping distance. Maybe this is a symptom of that? Any suggestions on self-testing other then to try another CX-5?

Also trying to avoid a trip to the dealer.

I took my car in for an oil change about a year ago. I did not feel there was anything wrong with my brakes, so I thought the only thing that was going to happen was the oil change. They did not say anything to me about my brakes when I was leaving. But when I stepped on the brakes at the first stop, the pedal was really firm and about threw me to the windshield.
There really was nothing wrong with my brakes, but I think they did an adjustment, since the rear brakes use the pads for the parking brake, and not a separate set of shoes, like some cars.
So you could ask your dealer if they can adjust it for you. I did a google search and did find anything on these cars. But on my past cars, driving reverse then applying the parking brake to stop the car adjusted the rear brakes and took up the slack. ( self-adjusting rear brakes ). Not sure though on this car that is how it works. I might give it a try later today.

Last edited:
My sense also matches yours. The brakes are a little softer than what I’ve been used to but I don’t think anything is wrong. All cars have their quirks. Still , having it checked out the next time you’re in to the dealer is prudent.

the 2017+ models have a softer pedal because according to the customers properly firm and tactile brake pedal feel apparently does does not equate to luxury.. it's definitely unfortunate. the brakes in my 2015 6 are firm and feel strong. you could try upgrading to some better german OEM brakes/pads, but according to Anchorman pedal feel is dictated by the servo motor of the braking system, not what sort of brakes you have.

Totally agree, drove 2 '17s versus my '16 and '14, 2017 definitely has a softer peddle.

The soft pedal was the first thing I noticed on my test drive. Don't like it at all, still feels "wrong" every time I brake, but willing to live with it since there's so much good about the car.

Yes - 2017 is softer than 2016. Yes - in general CX-5 seems softer than other comp. CUV. But that's my gut feel. It does seem to require more pedal to stop. In general - my observation has always been Japanese cars have more pedal than US brands. There was some URL/thread where the servo motor adjustment feasibility was discussed.

Thanks for the confirmation everyone....

But I think you guys mean brake Servo booster not Servo Motor. The Servo booster uses vacuum to require less pedal force, and the only place i can think of that brake feel could be adjusted - the rest of the system is hydraulic cylinders in the master cylinder and wheel cylinders. No motor in the brake systems that I know of.

My other Japanese cars have never had this much pedal - this is something i have only noticed on the '17 cx-5.

If you want to test if there is anything wrong that might cause your brake pedal to feel unusually soft, leave the engine off and pump the pedal to exhaust the vacuum in the servo. After maybe 6-10 pumps it should go very hard and the only free play should be in the pedal linkage right at the top. In summary, the pedal should be very hard and right at the top of the stroke. It should also stay there under continuous pressure from your foot.

Now, with your foot hard on that pedal, start the engine and your foot will sink and you might well find that under very heavy pressure you can just about get it to the floor. Absolutely nothing wrong and what you have demonstrated is just how much assistance you get from the servo.

If you want to test if there is anything wrong that might cause your brake pedal to feel unusually soft, leave the engine off and pump the pedal to exhaust the vacuum in the servo. After maybe 6-10 pumps it should go very hard and the only free play should be in the pedal linkage right at the top. In summary, the pedal should be very hard and right at the top of the stroke. It should also stay there under continuous pressure from your foot.

Now, with your foot hard on that pedal, start the engine and your foot will sink and you might well find that under very heavy pressure you can just about get it to the floor. Absolutely nothing wrong and what you have demonstrated is just how much assistance you get from the servo.

True! LOVE that feel.
So the question is: how to get LESS assist?

i found on the test drive that the brakes were much firmer than my old Element. I have gotten used to the CX-5 and probably just noticed it because it was different.

The biggest adjustment for me was the throttle response but after a few days I developed a habit for it. It is far far better than a lot of new cars where the throttle feels sticky at the start and you have to punch it slightly to go. CVT equipped vehicles tend to have that. Every car had its tendencies so there is always adjustments.

True! LOVE that feel.
So the question is: how to get LESS assist?

Well you can’t, not easily. The Skyactive engine is at a bit of a disadvantage in that respect because it is the only gasoline engine I know to employ a vacuum pump exactly like a diesel. This guarantees good vacuum at all revs even with a 14:1 compression ratio. In any case, your high end luxury cars tend to have a very light brake pedal to give a feeling of luxury. It is where the majority of drivers want to be and it’s only a matter of use to adjust to it. I am usually sensitive to such things but I never even thought about it.

Well you can’t, not easily. The Skyactive engine is at a bit of a disadvantage in that respect because it is the only gasoline engine I know to employ a vacuum pump exactly like a diesel. This guarantees good vacuum at all revs even with a 14:1 compression ratio. In any case, your high end luxury cars tend to have a very light brake pedal to give a feeling of luxury. It is where the majority of drivers want to be and it’s only a matter of use to adjust to it. I am usually sensitive to such things but I never even thought about it.

Which luxury cars? The brakes in my BMW feel very firm and strong. You use pressure from your foot, rather than physical pedal travel to stop the car.

One thing I will mention in regards to brakes - always good to pressure wash all the dust off the brakes by spraying into the rim, then take the car out for a drive and do one very firm and quick stop (do not use ABS, the tires should not lock) and do not come to a complete stop with the hot pad warping your rotor. This will help evenly wear your pad and result in smoother, better braking. Those of you who drive conservatively and never brake hard will want to note.

One firm braking motion just before ABS will wear the pad evenly.

If one application of the brakes made a significant difference to the wear of the pads, wouldn't the pads necessarily wear out really fast?

My +2 year old 2016 brakes were decidedly softer. Parsing here, I took Anchorman's advise and had brake oil changed. There was a noticeable difference. The brakes apply faster, the softness is there but markedly less than before. Yes - the loaner I drove was an almost new 2017 and found its brakes to be softer than my 2016 (post brake oil change) and 2017 brake travel felt more than 2016.
Personally, I second the feedback from AM - +2 years: exchange brake oil, period.

Back