Brake Pedal feel - softer then used to

My +2 year old 2016 brakes were decidedly softer. Parsing here, I took Anchorman's advise and had brake oil changed. There was a noticeable difference. The brakes apply faster, the softness is there but markedly less than before. Yes - the loaner I drove was an almost new 2017 and found its brakes to be softer than my 2016 (post brake oil change) and 2017 brake travel felt more than 2016.
Personally, I second the feedback from AM - +2 years: exchange brake oil, period.

That change in feel if achieved, would depend entirely on if there was any air present in the system. It is possible and therefor another advantage of bleeding the brakes. The way to tell if you suspect there is air is to do that little pump test indicated above. If the pedal is solid after exhausting the vacuum and holds solid then there is unlikely to be any air. If there is any sponginess then there could be but just in case Arnie has a go at this test, remember that the rubber parts like flexi pipes and piston seals may give a tiny bit - not much though. You will have a very strong suspicion if there is air. It takes less than a minute - try it.

Back