2017~2024 2017 Mazda CX5 RPM Jump

q1054521247q

:
CX5 17GT,21SIG
I just bought a new 2017 Mazda cx5 2 month ago. currently, there are 2500 miles on it. well, today I notice that when AC is on my RPM is jumping please see videos. looks like the fan is turning on and off repeating. Is that normal for a new car?

Yes, the engine is powered up to drive the compressor otherwise it may stall.
But thiss 2017 and with computerization the idle rpm should be dead steady with or without AC compressor running. My CX-5 wont do it. Although its not a major issue but I feel OPs idle rpm is not normal and should get checked whenever he/she is visiting Mazda dealer.

So youre saying our CX-5s idle is 600 rpm without AC compressor running and 800 rpm with compressor running? My CX-5 doesnt behave this way!

But this’s 2017 and with computerization the idle rpm should be dead steady with or without AC compressor running. My CX-5 won’t do it. Although it’s not a major issue but I feel OP’s idle rpm is not normal and should get checked whenever he/she is visiting Mazda dealer.

How would the engine provide more power to handle a load without increasing RPM?

I guess you could make the idle RPM extra high, so that when you turn on the AC load you don't notice it. Maybe your car is doing that.

I understand that RPM will go higher when AC is on, but should it be steady or even just a little jump. it looks like the RPM jump is because the fan is turning on or off every 5-10 second. I thought the fan is always on when you just turn on the AC.

I understand that RPM will go higher when AC is on, but should it be steady or even just a little jump. it looks like the RPM jump is because the fan is turning on or off every 5-10 second. I thought the fan is always on when you just turn on the AC.

The compressor cycles on and off for cooling the car. The fan cools the radiator and is independent of the compressor. But the compressor is going to add load, the increase RPM of the engine can add heat, and the fan will cycle on and off based on the temperature sensor. The compressor will also cycle on and off to cool the car. The fan you see in the video is not the fan that is blowing air into your cabin.

From the videos i can't tell much. If you really think there is a problem then take it to the dealer, but as others have said, I don't see anything wrong.

COMPLETELY normal. Mine does just that. The fans cycle with the A/C compressor, unless you are moving over some chosen speed. The compressor will move more BTU at a higher RPM, the engine will use less fuel at a lower RPM.

The 2008 Mazda 3 that I'm currently driving does exactly the same thing. Non climate control air conditioning.

Normal operating process :)

Back