Have 2018 Cx-5 GT - Best Size Rims & Tyres to Replace With?

:
2018 CX-5 GT
Hi Guys,

Sorry for this post, being that there are many 'tyre & Rim' posts here but l haven't had the chance to read through them all so l thought l"d cut to the chase and ask straight out.
I have a new CX-5 GT with 19 inch pizza cutter rims.

Q - What are the best size rims & tyres to replace the with?

One of the guys on here has a really nice white GT with new 20 inch rims & tyres, which l thought looked really smart.

Having seen the images, I too am looking to get 20 inch rims.

The main question is ................. What are the best profile size tyres to go with the package?

I don't want super low profile tyres cause ( as many have said ) .......will be really hard on the road with bumps, etc.
In saying that, I don't want any higher than need be (don't want the tyres to rub on the guards )

Your thought please?
( thank you in advance )

I am going through the same research project since we picked up our CX-5 GT in December. I am looking at 20x8.5 et40 TSW Sprint Gunmetal wheels with either 245/45R20 or 255/45R20 BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S. Everything I have researched so far leads me to believe that either of these tire sizes will fit with no rubbing issues. I would appreciate input from anybody that could educate me if this is not the case. There aren't many 2017/2018 CX-5's out there with aftermarket wheels and tires yet so it makes it a bit difficult to get people's first hand experiences.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for this post, being that there are many 'tyre & Rim' posts here but l haven't had the chance to read through them all so l thought l"d cut to the chase and ask straight out.
I have a new CX-5 GT with 19 inch pizza cutter rims.

Q - What are the best size rims & tyres to replace the with?

One of the guys on here has a really nice white GT with new 20 inch rims & tyres, which l thought looked really smart.

Having seen the images, I too am looking to get 20 inch rims.

The main question is ................. What are the best profile size tyres to go with the package?

I don't want super low profile tyres cause ( as many have said ) .......will be really hard on the road with bumps, etc.
In saying that, I don't want any higher than need be (don't want the tyres to rub on the guards )

Your thought please?
( thank you in advance )

You do know that changing to larger rims will put your speedometer out of alignment - which may cause you issues in School Zones and speed cameras.

You do know that changing to larger rims will put your speedometer out of alignment - which may cause you issues in School Zones and speed cameras.

Not necessarily the case...the factory tire size of 225/55R19 has an identical outer diameter of a 245/45R20. A 255/45/20 is about a -1% change from the factory tire which will not cause any issues. All my previous BMW's had a speedometer to actual speed differential of at least 3%. Your mileage may vary...(no pun intended)!!

Not necessarily the case...the factory tire size of 225/55R19 has an identical outer diameter of a 245/45R20. A 255/45/20 is about a -1% change from the factory tire which will not cause any issues. All my previous BMW's had a speedometer to actual speed differential of at least 3%. Your mileage may vary...(no pun intended)!!

That maybe true but with all the speed cameras, red light speed cameras etc here in Oz land, the OP should be extra careful. The government used to allow a margin of error of about 5-10km/h. Now it is as little as 1-2km/h

Revenue raising at it's finest (gah)

Yea, I was told my speedo would be off going from 19 to 17. It's off 1 mph.

Yea, I was told my speedo would be off going from 19 to 17. It's off 1 mph.

The Nanny state here would pick it up in a heartbeat!

Also forgot to mention, loads of mobile speed cameras too be it parked on the median strip unattended or inside police cars (what you guys call speed traps I believe)

Having tried 245/50/19 on the stock GT rims, I would recommend going with that tire size and 19x8 or 19x8.5 wheels with +45 offset. If you're on a budget, there are a lot of affordable Enkei Tuning wheels in 19x8 and 19x8.5 sizes. If you are going with TSW wheels, you'll have to go with a 20 inch wheel because they have better fitting offsets for the CX-5 at that diameter.

Back