2017 CX5 Touring AWD

Not only are they led but the brake lights are a combination of a brighter version of the predator lights and a cluster of led jewel lights. They are excellent.

As I understand it, the supercharger is to give the bottom end power/torque until HCCI kicks in.

From the R&T article:

"In this case, the supercharger is being used to lean out the air-fuel mixture, a lean supercharger, if you will, to improve fuel economy. This reduces combustion temperatures, lowers NOx emissions, improves the amount of useful work produced with the same amount of fuel, and reduces heat loss to the cylinder bore."

The other thing from that article that is interesting is this:

"If Mazda had it their way, theyd be running 80 octane fuel in their SPCCI engines... Using a higher octane fuel would in this case make combustion more difficult."

From the R&T article:

"In this case, the supercharger is being used to lean out the air-fuel mixture, a lean supercharger, if you will, to improve fuel economy. This reduces combustion temperatures, lowers NOx emissions, improves the amount of useful work produced with the same amount of fuel, and reduces heat loss to the cylinder bore."

The other thing from that article that is interesting is this:

"If Mazda had it their way, they’d be running 80 octane fuel in their SPCCI engines... Using a higher octane fuel would in this case make combustion more difficult."
Interesting

Here are my impressions with the new 2017, coming from a 2016:

No doubt, the 2017 is a lot quieter and more refined to drive. Noise levels inside are greatly reduced over the 2016. The interior is more elegant and upscale. It is also more comfortable to drive. I don't get as "tired" as I did with the 2016 when on the highway for 30 miles or so.

As far as handling goes. Not sure yet. Haven't taken it through the turns or pushed it hard in the corners.

All-in-all, I really like the 2017 over the 2016.

My 1st 30 mile trip I averaged 34 MPG.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a good upgrade!

Here are my impressions with the new 2017, coming from a 2016:

No doubt, the 2017 is a lot quieter and more refined to drive. Noise levels inside are greatly reduced over the 2016. The interior is more elegant and upscale. It is also more comfortable to drive. I don't get as "tired" as I did with the 2016 when on the highway for 30 miles or so.

As far as handling goes. Not sure yet. Haven't taken it through the turns or pushed it hard in the corners.

All-in-all, I really like the 2017 over the 2016.

My 1st 30 mile trip I averaged 34 MPG.

Btw what happened with your 2016? Any steering/throttle feel impressions?

Btw what happened with your 2016? Any steering/throttle feel impressions?

Sold my 2016 to a private party. It had 40,000 miles on it. Had it almost 3 years as I bought it in 2015. Took about a $3,500 per year hit in depreciation which isn't too bad. Only issue was a leaky water pump which was replaced under warranty.

2017 throttle feels a little more responsive than my 2016. Steering is not as "sensitive" in the 2017. In other words, it feels a little less twitchy than my 2016, which was very quick to respond to slight movements in the wheel.

Hard to say which steering I like better. Need to drive the 2017 a little more to come to a final conclusion. What I can conclude now is the 2017 is a lot more comfortable and quieter to drive.

Not only are they led but the brake lights are a combination of a brighter version of the “predator” lights and a cluster of led jewel lights. They are excellent.

Above poster stated that the 2017 Touring does NOT have LED brake lights. Not sure now

It does have LED reverse lights but it's hard to tell if they are LED brake lights.

I know. If the technology takes off and other car manufacture adopt it, I wonder if the gas companies will start charging more for low octane fuel than for high octane fuel!

Nah cause there will always be loyal customers who always buy high octane (premium) fuels!

Above poster stated that the 2017 Touring does NOT have LED brake lights. Not sure now

It does have LED reverse lights but it's hard to tell if they are LED brake lights.

Centre high mount brake light is LED. The other brake lights are halogen or equivalent unless you get the GT

That's not a terrible hit in depreciation but why the jump it was still a baby:). Im about to hit 80k..solid no issues or desire to change outside of some form of compression ignition arriving and ~40mpg hwy!

Reviews I have read online have mentioned this and some owners here have also stated this in various threads.

Me personally, doesn't bother me. Ride/handling on 2017/2018 seems good (from 2 test drives I did - mix of spirited driving and normal over shoddy roads). Didn't drive 2016 or earlier.

My previous 2015 Mazda 6, handled well but sometimes deep potholes would be felt more than should have been

Last edited:
I remember the MotoMan YouTube video of the ‘17 CX5 and Dave Coleman said that he wished that they would have put the 2.5t in instead of the naturally aspirated but higher ups prevailed.

I think SkyActiv X is the engine to watch with its supercharger.

Here's the clip where Dave Coleman said the 2.5T fits - but not being added due to the long vaunted Twin Turbo 2.2L Diesel coming (3:25 mark onwards):

I noticed the LED lights on the 2017 are different than the lights on the 2016. The 2016's seemed a little brighter but the 2017 I have doesn't have the fogs but I am sure it's more than that.

I noticed the LED lights on the 2017 are different than the lights on the 2016. The 2016's seemed a little brighter but the 2017 I have doesn't have the fogs but I am sure it's more than that.
Different design aspect. Don't know the power output of each. Maybe Anchorman might have this information.

Back