Edmunds 2016 Mazda CX-9 Long-Term Road Test Wrap-Up

"After one year and 22,000 miles, our long-term test of the 2016 Mazda CX-9 is complete. It performed well, but there were some surprises."

https://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-9/2016/long-term-road-test/wrap-up.html

I'll take the first snippet on this:

HjhsLzFl1wERAs3AyiAQatHiCYariS.png

Pretty much what I expected given the performance of my 2018. The CX-9 gives you the fuel economy you want, based on how you desire to drive it. While at the very same time, it also gives you the freedom to have an option for driving it like you stole three minute ago and not many (if any) other SUVs in its price range and which are also seven seat vehicles can say the same. Pretty spot on results for the current CX-9 design.

Another snippet:

dFyMpDXDZ5y6caahK5jgbXMcC2EAMr.png

Good to see this being confirmed as well. Whereas other SUV in this price range and seating configuration grow even more lethargic when adding passengers, the CX-9 manages to maintain a higher amount of its already "sporty" feel with higher capacity loads. Though nothing to take out to the track loading down with seven passengers - it does not suffer the same degree of degradation in handling and performance (apparently) that others in the same category suffer.

Another snippet:

KVRtbaiAXryDRsADacqGsjvwq3stwm.png

I've had failures to pair a device, but those only came when operating the vehicle on the road between stop lights, where Mazda's safety concerns outweigh your need to listen to audio files or call your cell phone contacts. From a stationary and parked position, I've never had a failure to pair - either in my 2017 or 2018 Signature. She basically complains about pairing times being too slow. I've purchased other devices that took the same amount of time to pair to televisions, etc. Maybe she's had some luck with a combination of personal electronics at home that pair much faster for her. I don't really see a problem here.

Another snippet:

1WTDMxkK0HNa69reoQ6JdPcKOn97U9.png

In what Seven (7) Passenger Mid-Size SUV would it not be the case where you would need roof rails in order to haul cargo for seven passengers! A throw-away line if I've ever read one.

Another snippet:

jHQYU2a7bEfxZbgCNeekf0mbFlwO2z.png

I have to completely disagree with the closeness or proximity of other Mid-Size Seven Passenger SUVs for under $45k, somehow putting up such a fight that they really rival the CX-9 - especially the Signature. What other SUV in the same category redefines Handling & Performance like the CX-9? The only other would be the Acura MDX, but that's significantly $10k more. Ok, if you want to expand the term "Price Range" to include a $10,000 ramp - then I'd have to admit that the MDX does handle well - if you enjoy intrusive Torque Vectoring on all four corners, because that's what you are going to get. Outside of the MDX (for $10,000 more), is there another SUV in this category that Handles and Performs on the road with the same kind of dual nature - both Sporty when needed and quasi-luxurious when you don't? I've driven them all and I did not find one that was as flexible in its Handling and Performance like the CX-9.

So, I don't buy this Tightly Competitive Market place in this particular niche of SUV category. The CX-9 is just better because it offers both a quasi-luxury experience (it is not a Bentley Bentayga) and a Sports SUV experience both at the same time. Again, for under $45K. That's impressive no matter how you slice it and I think the Edmunds reviewer clearly missed this very salient and very important point. You get BOTH with the CX-9. You are not forced to compromise on either relative Comfort or relative Sporty Performance. You simply get a good dose of both.

Another snippet:

9nthW7UXxgU1rN5l3SZzhk3aC4EJf1.png

Not sure what the issue is here. It is Brushed Aluminum Trim and includes real Wood trim as well. These are not plastic pieces excluding center console bezels, air vent bezels, window control panel bezels (not to mention the disastrous Piano Black inserts - those really do need to go, Mazda!). Granted, the CX-9 is not Range Rover - but even the Range Rover has plastic trim pieces inside and throughout the exterior. As far as blue jean dye coming off on Light Oak Colored interior leather seats - that's going to happen regardless of the vehicle. That same kind of wear pattern is taking place right now in someone's multi-million dollar Bugatti Veyron and Bugatti Chiron. Doing a better job of cleaning the seat bolsters would help in this regard - I clean mine as part of the overall detailing of the vehicle (wash, dry, light polish and vacuum).

Overall, I think the report was fair and honest. It pretty much sums up my combined 11,000 mile experience with the 2017 and 2018 CX-9 Signature. I don't see anything in this report that grossly inaccurate aside from failing to make sure the reader understood the difference in the CX-9 providing both Handling/Performance and a good comfortable drive at the same time - whereas other SUV in its category seem to not do as good a job in both those areas.

I'd rate this Edmunds Review at 4 out of 5 starts, personally. I think they did a fairly good job of describing what your experience would be in the newly designed CX-9.

I generally agree with you, but there is definitely a difference in material quality with higher end brands. After just over a year and about 25k miles, my drivers seat does have quite a bit of wear. It doesn’t look terribly different than the one on the 2006 BMW 3 series with 190,000 miles that I sold a few month ago.

I’m still really happy with my choice of the Mazda but with the understanding that there are some things I gave up for the $25k or so that I saved (the only other thing I seriously considered was an Audi Q7).

Another snippet:

1WTDMxkK0HNa69reoQ6JdPcKOn97U9.png

In what Seven (7) Passenger Mid-Size SUV would it not be the case where you would need roof rails in order to haul cargo for seven passengers! A throw-away line if I've ever read one.

Arguably you could fit all of the luggage of a family of 5 (2 adults w 3 children) behind the 3rd row of an Explorer. It's rear cargo area is noticeably larger.

Do people really want adaptive cruise control for highway stop and go traffic?

Last edited:
I generally agree with you, but there is definitely a difference in material quality with higher end brands. After just over a year and about 25k miles, my drivers seat does have quite a bit of wear. It doesn’t look terribly different than the one on the 2006 BMW 3 series with 190,000 miles that I sold a few month ago.

I think the Napa Leather seats would wear better. If it is any consolation, my C5 Corvette had what they called Light Oak Premium Leather seating (similar to the CX-9 GT Tan color, but not a perfect match) and after just several months the left bolster area was turning the color of my clothing. And, that was a more than $50k car seven years ago. GM's so-called "Benchmark" or "Flag Ship." It also had serious mechanical problems along with two major electronic design flaws which GM never admitted to until the C6 came out. So, not getting the best leather quality in a CX-9 GT, is not so surprising. However, keeping them clean and conditioned takes care of most eye sores related to the seats.

I’m still really happy with my choice of the Mazda but with the understanding that there are some things I gave up for the $25k or so that I saved (the only other thing I seriously considered was an Audi Q7).

Glad to hear it and I'm very happy with mine as well. And, I think you are right - the CX-9 does force you to look up the food chain and not down. You end up comparing it ultimately against things like the Q7 - which I liked a lot as well. It must be a really good SUV, if your natural path of comparison is somewhere above it. Just think about it - who compares their Highlander to the Q7. Who compares their Pilot to the XC-90. Who compares their Sorento to the X5. Those are not real comparisons that rational people make. Yet, the CX-9 is being compared by rational people to all three of those SUVs and some of those same rational people are actually making the decision to (as you say) pocket the extra $25k or so, by selecting the CX-9. That's fairly impressive stuff coming from Mazda, after all.

Arguably you could fit all of the luggage of a family of 5 (2 adults w 3 children) behind the 3rd row of an Explorer. It's rear cargo area is noticeably larger.

No doubt. It does have a few more cubic feet cargo capacity. It also has a 3.5L EcoBoost engine and weights more than 700lbs more than the CX-9. At about $5,000 to $7,000 more than the CX-9's top trim Signature, I had to drop the Explorer from my list before I dropped the Acura MDX which was $10k more than the Signature.

I like the look (interior and exterior) of the Explorer. What's not to like there. Its bold and it has a nice contemporary mode shape overall for an SUV. It actually looks good to my eye. However, it is a Ford, and I have a very difficult getting over that fact. It does mount the EcoProblem child engine and I have a really hard time thinking about what that could turn into at the dealer. It is significantly heavier without providing a corresponding amount of added torque at the low end - a real issue for someone wanting a more lively throttle. And, its a minimum of $5k more - no big deal, but still a reality.

It did last longer than any other SUV on my profile next to the MDX. In fact, it finished Third Place on my list directly under the MDX Advanced. So, that's saying something. Which means, I was open to the notion of accepting the EcoProblem Child Risk factor as one major drawback.

Overall, you'd have to make a decision if carrying five (5) people all the time was really important. Either scale down the luggage requirements - simply pack lighter. Or, take on what I call the Ford Risk Factors (Build Quality, Engineering Quality, Latency In Technology, Ford's After The Sale Customer Service Attitude). With the Mazda CX-9, I only have to deal with one of those Risk Factors, Service After The Sale (very poor thus far).

Thus, the Explorer did not make the final cut. But, I still like its visual esthetic - no question about it. Ford, got that part right. It looks good.

Overall, you'd have to make a decision if carrying five (5) people all the time was really important. Either scale down the luggage requirements - simply pack lighter.

I'll actually be taking a third option. I'm already going to install a hitch for my bike rack, so I'll just add to it a hitch-mounted Thule cargo box. That should give me room for 5 + dog (2 in the front, 2 in the middle, 1 + dog in the back, some cargo in the way back, and the rest in the Thule).

I think I see where you're going with this. Thule to the rescue! And, why not.

The Q7 is a nice car, but you didn’t give up much. The CX-9 is that perfect family car where It gives you everything you need, nothing you don’t. It’s only about 400 pounds heavier than my 5 series. Can you imagine? I am very glad that mazda does morn make an overly bulky car. Weight is good for conserving momentum, but not for moving or slowing it.

In all honesty, I don’t see why anyone would need more than a CX-9 signature. I was very impressed with the interior, loved the ergonomics (mazda does exceptionally well in that regard) and I think this powertrain is one of the best given the tasks a CX-9 will typically be given.

Back