Noises after axle, hub and knuckle install (2000 Mazda Protege)

NScrilla

:
Mazda Protege 2000 1.6L
Hello Guys,

I have a 2000 Protege 1.6L standard. It has 184500 KM on it. In the summer I replaced the clutch. It was harder than I had anticipated and I damaged the rubber boot on the outer CV joint on the driver’s side. I thought ohh I know I’ll need to fix it. So I priced the rubber boot and the clamp out. Then realized I didn’t know how to take the shaft off the CV joint so I just figured I’d replace the whole CV axel when it became an issue. In hindsight I should figured it out then. What’s done is done though.

Big mistake. It became an issue and I ordered a new CV axel. When I went to install it….. The old one was stuck in the hub, I even took it to a machine shop and could not get the damn thing out. So then I had to buy a new hub, bearing, steering knuckle, oil seal, transmission seal and snap ring. FML. So this little project turned into a nightmare. Well I got it all and installed it yesterday. The torque wrench wasn’t working properly. Stripped the axel nut. I had a second new nut because the hub and axel came with one. So I was able to clean the threads and get that one on there. Tightened it up tight. Drove home. Now it’s probably a safe bet I need an alignment correct? The car worked. I think it drifts to the right. Also a strange noise occurs. If I am decelerating in gear, then put foot down quickly I can hear a thump, or a click sort of as the engine engages the drive train. If I engage the gas gently in the above scenario it does not make the noise. It wasn’t there before the axel swap so I know it has to do with the axel swap. It sounds like it comes from the driver’s side hub area also. Dunno what this could be? When I installed the CV axel into the tranny I pulled on it and felt that it was locked in place…. Could an alignment issue cause this kinda noise? Also when I turn left lots I can sometimes hear clicking…. Again could this be alignment issue? I haven’t driven the car much tho, maybe 25 KM to get from parents back to the city and my place.

Some other issues. I damaged the ball joint boot getting the old knuckle off. I bought a new one but had a hell of a time getting it on and the 32 MM socket I used damaged it a bit. I got it on there tho, put some tape around it and drove the car home but this week I am going to go to mazda and get a new one, undo the two bolts holding the knuckle to the strut and the pinch bolt and see if I can get this new one on somehow before I do any alignment. Any ideas how on this?

I also suspect my front shocks might be worn out, if I push down on the back of the car I can feel a lot of resistance. The front though seems to be a lot more sloppy. Sometimes when I run over a speed bump I can hear a sort of crunching noise from the front tires? It seems to have got better with the new axel (the old grease leaked out of the old axel and it was clicking when turning and stuff). But again I haven’t driven it much since the new axel and wheel stuff was installed.

Thanks a lot for the input. This car is really frustrating me. :(

No one has any ideas? I am thinking maybe they sent me the wrong axle or something because i did notice that the half shaft was thicker than the one that i pulled out of there. The drive train noise can be heard when applying gas or clutch and it seems to come from the axle hub area.

Okay so an update. I fixed the noise on accelerating. I needed to torque up the axle nut more. Got a torque wrench and did it and that noise is gone. Most of the car is fixed now however i am still having an issue. When turning sometimes i have clunking or clicking noise. It happens much more frequently when turning left and not often when turning right. I suspect that the axle that they sent me (the drivers side) is faulty and that's what is causing the issue. Any other ideas on what could cause such a noise other than the CV axle? I have yet to get an alignment done as i am waiting for summer ( to drive my other car) and put the shocks in. hard to think the alignment could cause that kind of a noise though?

Thanks!

I'm having that same crunching and even poping sound that I can feel on the floor when turning or even going straight over rough roads. This is about 2 years after replacing my OEM CV joint with SKF brand. It worked good until now....and note I replaced my OEM just for preventative maintenance.... nothing was wrong with it.

Things I plan to do:
- Buy used OEM axles and install (not sure if the tripod cups or CV joints are worn and causing the crunching noise. I even greased them up but same noise)

- My camber has been off for a while on both front wheels since I replaced my struts. I'm not sure if it is causing abnormal turning angles of the CV joint thus resulting in the noise. So I plan to replace the struts and get an alignment/camber done.

Back