Built in USB outputs LOW power

davidzero256

:
ISO 2015 CX-5
2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring.

The USB port in the center console is pretty terrible if you want to charge a phone. I was only able to get 0.44 amps from it, which isn't enough to charge my phone while running GPS (LG V20). The cheap dual 12v outlet + dual USB outlet adapter I bought from Wal-Mart can at least put out 1 amp. See attached pictures for testing. Sorry about the angle.
1f359d025ccf07fff91f1799fae442a9.jpg
ab5b3e16610b574f0df27412a8926a7c.jpg

I thought the front USB ports on CX-5 are rated at 1.0A. But only 0.44A? Thats not right. May be you should show it to your Mazda dealer and get a new USB unit if your CX-5 still has new-car warranty.

The USB ports are not for charging, I thought.

Yes, the front ports are for USB devices (music and updates) - they are only designed to supply ~0.5A. This is per USB spec for data ports.

The rear USB ports are called USB power outlets and are designed for higher amp charging (~2A).

I put a good USB power adapter on the centre console and let the power cord for the phone snake out to the vent mount. I get a solid fast charge on my Nexus 5X with it. The cable isn't the obtrusive and it's much less ugly than using the power port in the front storage tray under the dash.

I would have to say tho given devices these days, 2A should be the standard for all the ports.

Back