Please recommend me a great all season tire that good in snow for P225 / 65R17

Better is better but better to one person (smooth/comfy ride) might be worse for say me (handles like a wet fn noodle) case in point the Cinturatos that are sitting cold and wet under my deck.. so just take that into account when assessing comparisons and definitely personal reviews.

Also interesting...for year round use with a some snow capabilities:

Vverstein quatrac 5

Last edited:
Better is better but better to one person (smooth/comfy ride) might be worse for say me (handles like a wet fn noodle) case in point the Cinturatos that are sitting cold and wet under my deck.. so just take that into account when assessing comparisons and definitely personal reviews.

Also interesting...for year round use with a some snow capabilities:

Vverstein quatrac 5

I liked what I read about the VQ 5 until I got to the hydroplaning test data. It did scary.

Consumer Reports and Tire Rack, both of which have test tracks and do pretty solid testing, both had the LX20 as doing better than the Michelin Defender. Just no reason to spend more to get less.

Oh yeah thats ng..try the trues then..They're cheaper, newer, longer treadlife and designed more for cars which the cx5 pretty much is.

...the WRG3 from Nokian are the only tires that meet your criteria, as I understand it.

I've owned two sets of the Nokian WRs (Gen 1 and 2) on a '04 pathfinder, and I can tell you that those tires were a beast in ALL weather conditions. I don't know how they (Nokian, A Nordic based company) did it, but they made a great ALL WX tire, not just an all season or 3 season tire.

Nokian is famous for their winter only tires (Hakkapeliitta comes to mind), but they have great year round tires too.

I have drunk the Nokian Tire kool-aid and I am a believer. When the time comes to replace the Toyos on our 2016, you can bet I will researched the Nokian option.

However, with that said, Nokian tires can be expensive...more expensive than some well known brands AND at times, eclipse even Michelin tires of slightly less capabilities. Each of our sets were north of $800 + taxes.

Another downside to the Nokian tires is their availability and their dealer support network. Locally, here in OH, the Grismer tire company sells the Nokian tires and as long as there is a Grismer around, I can get find Nokian tires. There are other retailers of Nokian tires, but you may have to use the Nokian website (https://www.nokiantyres.com) to find one close to you/your city. But I can tell you they are not as common as other tire brands.

One other thing I noticed, and it may have been because of the Pathfinders odd size (255/65/16) the first set of tires purchased happened to be just shy of 3 years old. I got some $ off, but the fact that those tires had been sitting somewhere for almost 3 years tells me that Nokian is not a high volume tire mover, at least here in the States.

Also, when my GTI is up for its 4th set of tires, I will be torn...I'm going either Michelin Pilot Sport A/S4s or WR-G3/G4. Granted, not the same as winter performance is concerned, but the Mich PS A/S3s that are on it now have been flawless and I can't complain (except for price). The car is daily driven and far from being a racecar.

(drive2)

Last edited:
I’ll chime with my support for the Nokian WR-G3 SUV. I live in the Pacific NW, our winters are typically wet down low and snow and ice up high. Summers can be hot. I wanted something capable of getting me to my winter sport destinations in the mountains, and also something I could leave on in the summer and achieve the safety of a normal tire. The Nokian has served me well! It is noisier than the stock tires. If you expect it to work on ice, it is not going to handle turns, just like any other tire (I had studded tires before these on a different car, those weren’t great on ice either). But so far, after 20,000 miles, a year and 2 months later, I am confident in my purchase of the tires, I will drive them to the mountain in snow covered conditions without hesitation. Just respect the ice, no issues:

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-wrg3-suv/

(Edit: I have a 2016 CX-5 AWD Sport w/67K miles)

Last edited:
I really cant recommend to anyone that they use a winter tire year round... not only will the ride be less smooth and quiet, but the tire will wear much quicker, rolling resistance increases, grip is not optimal... I thought that all of this was clear enough. Anyways, I guess Ill add a review on my own for The Yokohama Iceguard IG52C winter tires, which Ive been very pleased with. Tire wear is outstanding, very quiet and smooth over dry pavement.. I like how deep snow traction was sacrificed a little so that the tire can perform well in any sort of winter condition such as slush or ice, where this tire performed very commendably. Strongly recommend this tire for those of you who dont drive through a blizzard daily but actually experience normal winters where the conditions vary from just lots of snow everyday.

How about the Michelin Premier LTX in 225/65R17 ?

Or the Scorpion Verde All Season 225/65R17 ?

With the General AltiMax RT43, they are technically passenger tires but will they be OK on the CX5? The max load per tire is 1,874 pounds per tire. I once had the General's on my Mazda3 and they drawback is THEY WERE LOUD and only got LOUDER with time. Man, they roared. Even other users on TireRack said the same thing.

Last edited:
The OEM Yokohama Geolandar G91A that came OEM are not that well rated but very expensive. Why?

How good or bad do these tires perform in the snow?

The OEM Yokohama Geolandar G91A that came OEM are not that well rated but very expensive. Why?

How good or bad do these tires perform in the snow?
Like crap in my opinion. I did not like the stock Yokohamas in snow.

The Premier LTX seems to be rated well, but at only 8.5/32nd tread depth new, I have reservations about their longevity.

How about the Michelin Premier LTX in 225/65R17 ?

Or the Scorpion Verde All Season 225/65R17 ?

With the General AltiMax RT43, they are technically passenger tires but will they be OK on the CX5? The max load per tire is 1,874 pounds per tire. I once had the General's on my Mazda3 and they drawback is THEY WERE LOUD and only got LOUDER with time. Man, they roared. Even other users on TireRack said the same thing.

im also looking at the Altimax RT43 or the Pirelli Scorpion Verde plus . Stock Yokohamas are almost done.

The Altimax have very good reviews and are reasonable priced, the Pirelli scorpions verde plus are more expensive, weigh more and from the many reviews that i have read it seems that the become unbearably loud as they wear.
Im leaning more towards the Generals Altimax...

Has anyone here put the General Altimax on their 2017+ CX5? If so, what are the results?

It's technically a sedan tire and not listed as a CUV tire. Plus some light snow reviews were not good.

Per TireRack:
What We'd Improve: Creates some tread growl and has the firmest ride of this group.

Last edited:
Well, it's time. Buying Nokian WRG3 SUV.

-Nokian says the tread compound is the same 100% through the tire, so you won't wear down any of t he "good" compound.
-Numerous Prius owners report no drop in MPG with these tires. This is pretty impressive, as the Prius is super sensitive to tires/mpg wise.
-They do well in the rain and in the summer, giving up very little to an all-season, while doing much better in the snow.
-Nothing does worth a damn on ice, and "you need to be very cautious" even with studded Hap 9's according to Nokian, so buying a tire based on sheer ice performance is a poor plan.
-The tread life according to Tire Rack is 50-55k miles, and that's about what I got with my LX20's, which Tire Rack said would do similar to what I got, so seems them and I are on the same page.
-They are not super expensive, yet they are very high quality, constantly (as a brand) winning European comparison tests, which are far superior to American tire tests from what I've seen. Much more detail.

Nice- Nokian is a good choice I've run previous generations of the wr (nrw prior to that) all weathers a few times- I think 50+k on any tire regardless of warranty is optimistic/dangerous in wet or certainly winter conditions but they should do well for you. Just don't expect whisper quiet esp when half worn! I'd put them on going into winter or at least fall vs now for reasons above but if you need them you need them.

Nice- Nokian is a good choice I've run previous generations of the wr (nrw prior to that) all weathers a few times- I think 50+k on any tire regardless of warranty is optimistic/dangerous in wet or certainly winter conditions but they should do well for you. Just don't expect whisper quiet esp when half worn! I'd put them on going into winter or at least fall vs now for reasons above but if you need them you need them.

I need new tires, and we have had nasty snows in March. In fact last night we got a bit of ice. I was honestly just late changing tires this year.

Has anyone here put the General Altimax on their 2017+ CX5? If so, what are the results?

It's technically a sedan tire and not listed as a CUV tire. Plus some light snow reviews were not good.

Per TireRack:
What We'd Improve: Creates some tread growl and has the firmest ride of this group.
Very few 2017 CX-5 owners would get a new set of all-season tires replacing the OE tires this early. But therere plenty of customer reviews on Generbal AltiMAX RT43 at TireRack.com. The survey rated Generbal AltiMAX RT43 #4 out of 46 in Grand Touring all-season tires. Winter/snow performance is "Good" at 7.8 - 8.4 in light snow traction; 7.8 in deep snow traction; 7.1 in ice traction. RT43 actually performed very well in light snow as an all-season tire and out-performs many other all-season tires for winter and snow conditions.

I have General AltiMAX RT43 tires on my 1998 Honda CR-V AWD for about 25K miles now and they're the quietest tire I have ever had on the CR-V. 8.3 noise rating from TireRack survey also proves my experience. Your experience of General's on the Mazda3 mustn't be the RT43.

The difference between Grand Touring all-season tires and Crossover/SUV Touring all-season tires for our CX-5? Nothing to worry as long as the tire meets specifications and performs well.

And herere some members in this forum who have chosen this tire:

I just ordered a set of Altimax R43H for my CX5 touring. Ed
If it makes you feel any better Ed, I've had a set on my Touring for 5-6k miles and I'm a happy camper!
+1. I've had these tires on for a few months now, over 7k miles and they're great.
I just had the rt43 H's mounted on my 17's and only driven on them for a week.

Initial impressions...Waaaaaaay quieter than the worn down stock yoko's that I had for 39k miles. The ride is definitely smoother over the small to medium imperfections. Rolling resistance also seems to be improved. The way the car accelerates and coasts feel like the car is much lighter on it's feet, like there was a lot of weight taken out of the car. Steering precision seems to have remained the same, but with lighter steering effort. I was worried about a potential loss of steering precision, which is why I decided to sacrifice some life mileage and got the H rated version. There is no sloppiness at all, which is a plus because it comes with a smoother ride.

I did not know the T and H's had different actual widths, but they did initially seem narrower when seeing them on the car for the first time.

Got them at the local Discount Tire for $530 installed with no warranty certificate.

Have not driven in any other weather besides dry conditions. Yay San Diego weather. Boo potential drought situations again. lol

Well, it's time. Buying Nokian WRG3 SUV.

-Nokian says the tread compound is the same 100% through the tire, so you won't wear down any of t he "good" compound.
-Numerous Prius owners report no drop in MPG with these tires. This is pretty impressive, as the Prius is super sensitive to tires/mpg wise.
-They do well in the rain and in the summer, giving up very little to an all-season, while doing much better in the snow.
-Nothing does worth a damn on ice, and "you need to be very cautious" even with studded Hap 9's according to Nokian, so buying a tire based on sheer ice performance is a poor plan.
-The tread life according to Tire Rack is 50-55k miles, and that's about what I got with my LX20's, which Tire Rack said would do similar to what I got, so seems them and I are on the same page.
-They are not super expensive, yet they are very high quality, constantly (as a brand) winning European comparison tests, which are far superior to American tire tests from what I've seen. Much more detail.

Congrats! Hope they serve you well.

CR rated them at 40k miles...

Yeah, which means they won't last that long. Mine are 65k tires and I will be replacing them after another summer where they will probably have about 50k miles on them. Could they go to 65k? Probably, but that would be at 2/32nd tread probably. I wouldn't ride on tires with that little tread personally.

Very few 2017 CX-5 owners would get a new set of all-season tires replacing the OE tires this early.

I have General AltiMAX RT43 tires on my 1998 Honda CR-V AWD for about 25K miles now and they're the quietest tire I have ever had on the CR-V. 8.3 noise rating from TireRack survey also proves my experience. Your experience of General's on the Mazda3 mustn't be the RT43.

I forgot what exact model they were but you are probably right, they were General Altimax but of a different version.

Too bad I can't sell my current tires, which are brand new. I would unload them for $450 for the set.

⋯ Too bad I can't sell my current tires, which are brand new. I would unload them for $450 for the set.
Most OE tires from factory suck anyway due to cost concerns. Some believe those OE tires even with name brand such as Michelin or Yokohama, they're specially and cheaply made with less quality comparing to similar or same model from the same tire brand on the market.

Most OE tires from factory suck anyway due to cost concerns. Some believe those OE tires even with name brand such as Michelin or Yokohama, they're specially and cheaply made with less quality comparing to similar or same model from the same tire brand on the market.

the ones for the CX-5 sure do. I suspect it's because Mazda has low expectations for a performance oriented driver hopping into a CX-5. Because the OEM yokohama's that came with my Mazda 6 are very good.. They are Advan A83a high performance tires.

the 19" dunlop tires on the top of the line GT for instance are absolute s***.

Back