Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Please recommend me a great all season tire that good in snow for P225 / 65R17

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Please recommend me a great all season tire that good in snow for P225 / 65R17

Quote Originally Posted by Lbear View Post
    Has anyone here put the General Altimax on their 2017+ CX5? If so, what are the results?

It's technically a sedan tire and not listed as a CUV tire. Plus some light snow reviews were not good.

Per TireRack:
    What We'd Improve: Creates some tread growl and has the firmest ride of this group.
    Very few 2017 CX-5 owners would get a new set of all-season tires replacing the OE tires this early. But there’re plenty of customer reviews on Generbal AltiMAX™ RT43 at TireRack.com. The survey rated Generbal AltiMAX™ RT43 #4 out of 46 in Grand Touring all-season tires. Winter/snow performance is "Good" at 7.8 - 8.4 in light snow traction; 7.8 in deep snow traction; 7.1 in ice traction. RT43 actually performed very well in light snow as an all-season tire and out-performs many other all-season tires for winter and snow conditions.

I have General AltiMAX™ RT43 tires on my 1998 Honda CR-V AWD for about 25K miles now and they're the quietest tire I have ever had on the CR-V. 8.3 noise rating from TireRack survey also proves my experience. Your experience of General's on the Mazda3 mustn't be the RT43.

The difference between Grand Touring all-season tires and Crossover/SUV Touring all-season tires for our CX-5? Nothing to worry as long as the tire meets specifications and performs well.

And here’re some members in this forum who have chosen this tire:

Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erhayes View Post
    I just ordered a set of Altimax R43H for my CX5 touring. Ed
    If it makes you feel any better Ed, I've had a set on my Touring for 5-6k miles and I'm a happy camper!
    Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    +1. I've had these tires on for a few months now, over 7k miles and they're great.
    Quote Originally Posted by deepfriedsushi View Post
    I just had the rt43 H's mounted on my 17's and only driven on them for a week.

Initial impressions...Waaaaaaay quieter than the worn down stock yoko's that I had for 39k miles. The ride is definitely smoother over the small to medium imperfections. Rolling resistance also seems to be improved. The way the car accelerates and coasts feel like the car is much lighter on it's feet, like there was a lot of weight taken out of the car. Steering precision seems to have remained the same, but with lighter steering effort. I was worried about a potential loss of steering precision, which is why I decided to sacrifice some life mileage and got the H rated version. There is no sloppiness at all, which is a plus because it comes with a smoother ride.

I did not know the T and H's had different actual widths, but they did initially seem narrower when seeing them on the car for the first time.

Got them at the local Discount Tire for $530 installed with no warranty certificate.

Have not driven in any other weather besides dry conditions. Yay San Diego weather. Boo potential drought situations again. lol

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Well, it's time. Buying Nokian WRG3 SUV.

-Nokian says the tread compound is the same 100% through the tire, so you won't wear down any of t he "good" compound.
    -Numerous Prius owners report no drop in MPG with these tires. This is pretty impressive, as the Prius is super sensitive to tires/mpg wise.
    -They do well in the rain and in the summer, giving up very little to an all-season, while doing much better in the snow.
    -Nothing does worth a damn on ice, and "you need to be very cautious" even with studded Hap 9's according to Nokian, so buying a tire based on sheer ice performance is a poor plan.
    -The tread life according to Tire Rack is 50-55k miles, and that's about what I got with my LX20's, which Tire Rack said would do similar to what I got, so seems them and I are on the same page.
    -They are not super expensive, yet they are very high quality, constantly (as a brand) winning European comparison tests, which are far superior to American tire tests from what I've seen. Much more detail.
    Congrats! Hope they serve you well.

CR rated them at 40k miles...
    Yeah, which means they won't last that long. Mine are 65k tires and I will be replacing them after another summer where they will probably have about 50k miles on them. Could they go to 65k? Probably, but that would be at 2/32nd tread probably. I wouldn't ride on tires with that little tread personally.

2017 CX5 AWD Touring

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Very few 2017 CX-5 owners would get a new set of all-season tires replacing the OE tires this early.

I have General AltiMAX™ RT43 tires on my 1998 Honda CR-V AWD for about 25K miles now and they're the quietest tire I have ever had on the CR-V. 8.3 noise rating from TireRack survey also proves my experience. Your experience of General's on the Mazda3 mustn't be the RT43.
    I forgot what exact model they were but you are probably right, they were General Altimax but of a different version.

Too bad I can't sell my current tires, which are brand new. I would unload them for $450 for the set.

Arrow Please recommend me a great all season tire that good in snow for P225 / 65R17

⋯ Too bad I can't sell my current tires, which are brand new. I would unload them for $450 for the set.
    Most OE tires from factory suck anyway due to cost concerns. Some believe those OE tires even with name brand such as Michelin or Yokohama, they're specially and cheaply made with less quality comparing to similar or same model from the same tire brand on the market.

2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

Most OE tires from factory suck anyway due to cost concerns. Some believe those OE tires even with name brand such as Michelin or Yokohama, they're specially and cheaply made with less quality comparing to similar or same model from the same tire brand on the market.
    the ones for the CX-5 sure do. I suspect it's because Mazda has low expectations for a performance oriented driver hopping into a CX-5. Because the OEM yokohama's that came with my Mazda 6 are very good.. They are Advan A83a high performance tires.

the 19" dunlop tires on the top of the line GT for instance are absolute shit.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Do you have data to back this up?

2017 CX5 AWD Touring

Other than that the OEM tires Mazda puts on the CX5 have the WORST ratings on TireRack, is enough for me.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Other than that the OEM tires Mazda puts on the CX5 have the WORST ratings on TireRack, is enough for me.
    So you think they make 2 lines, in secret, with the same model number, and sell a cheaper composition tire to oem? Thats a very strong allegation.

2017 CX5 AWD Touring

So you think they make 2 lines, in secret, with the same model number, and sell a cheaper composition tire to oem? Thats a very strong allegation.
    No, they make one cheap tire that they sell for a low price to the manufacturer, then Mazda puts it on $35k CX5s. Poor performance tires on thousands of CX5s
    Last edited by Lbear; 02-23-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

No, they make one cheap tire that they sell for a low price to the manufacturer, then Mazda puts it on $35k CX5s. Poor performance tires on thousands of CX5s
    That is absolutely not what the post I originally quoted said. See post #79.

2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

I’m gonna go with “no”

... and the OEM tires on my Mazda 6 are some of the best tires I have ever driven on. I guess Mazda just doesn’t have high expectations for the average CX-5 owner...

No data, but my personally experience and a common knowledge shared by many others:

OEM TIRES vs. STORE BOUGHT tires

OEM Tires vs Retail Tires

There was a member here claimed to be working for a large tire manufacture. He once said the same thing that tire companies manufacture OE tires differently, even on the same model available on the retail. They would designate a code or version in model number to distinguish OE tire and retail tire with the same model number. Unfortunately I couldn't find the post after the search.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

No data, but my personally experience and a common knowledge shared by many others:

There was a member here claimed to be working for a large tire manufacture. He once said the same thing that tire companies manufacture OE tires differently, even on the same model available on the retail. They would designate a code or version in model number to distinguish OE tire and retail tire with the same model number. Unfortunately I couldn't find the post after the search.
    Can't leave out alignment specs...

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Some of those threads have users posting they got great mileage out of OEM tires.

If the model number and other markings are the same on OEM vs. retail, then the tires must be the same. It is to much work to make a different tire and not mark it differently.

2015 cx-5 6sp

I got an offer for General Altimax RT43H or Pirellis Scorpion Verde Plus for the same price.
    Both are excellent, but the only concern I have is the weight difference of 24.3 vs 28lbs for the Pirellis. That's a 16lbs difference between the two for a set of four.

Would this tire weight difference change the handling, acceleration etc? ...which one would you guys choose?
    Last edited by jjac28; 03-06-2018 at 01:20 PM.
    Silver 2015 CX-5 6sp

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456