Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Please recommend me a great all season tire that good in snow for P225 / 65R17

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech, E84 valencia x1 sdrive msport

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Not rated as highly by anyone. I've owned better apparently.
    https://www.moderntiredealer.com/blo...s-tire-testing
    Better is better but better to one person (smooth/comfy ride) might be worse for say me (handles like a wet fn noodle) case in point the Cinturatos that are sitting cold and wet under my deck.. so just take that into account when assessing comparisons and definitely personal reviews.

Also interesting...for year round use with a some snow capabilities:

Vverstein quatrac 5
    Last edited by Monterra; 02-16-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's liquids FTMFW!

My automotive lineage:
    1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT- aka rustback
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- change averse much?
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT- good times- newfound respect for oversteer!
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI) and a good one for $
    +nice house/bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer=enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -not much to say boring excellence? Did its job with little to no issues.
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers probably should have kept, could have been better though
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - what can I say not boring excellence? I continue to be impressed.
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - 1st lease..I like it, fast and it still does donuts, steering won't let me love it

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
    Better is better but better to one person (smooth/comfy ride) might be worse for say me (handles like a wet fn noodle) case in point the Cinturatos that are sitting cold and wet under my deck.. so just take that into account when assessing comparisons and definitely personal reviews.

Also interesting...for year round use with a some snow capabilities:

Vverstein quatrac 5
    I liked what I read about the VQ 5 until I got to the hydroplaning test data. It did scary.

Consumer Reports and Tire Rack, both of which have test tracks and do pretty solid testing, both had the LX20 as doing better than the Michelin Defender. Just no reason to spend more to get less.

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech, E84 valencia x1 sdrive msport

Oh yeah thats ng..try the trues then..They're cheaper, newer, longer treadlife and designed more for cars which the cx5 pretty much is.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

'16 CPO Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    ...the WRG3 from Nokian are the only tires that meet your criteria, as I understand it.
    I've owned two sets of the Nokian WRs (Gen 1 and 2) on a '04 pathfinder, and I can tell you that those tires were a beast in ALL weather conditions. I don't know how they (Nokian, A Nordic based company) did it, but they made a great ALL WX tire, not just an all season or 3 season tire.

Nokian is famous for their winter only tires (Hakkapeliitta comes to mind), but they have great year round tires too.

I have drunk the Nokian Tire kool-aid and I am a believer. When the time comes to replace the Toyos on our 2016, you can bet I will researched the Nokian option.

However, with that said, Nokian tires can be expensive...more expensive than some well known brands AND at times, eclipse even Michelin tires of slightly less capabilities. Each of our sets were north of $800 + taxes.

Another downside to the Nokian tires is their availability and their dealer support network. Locally, here in OH, the Grismer tire company sells the Nokian tires and as long as there is a Grismer around, I can get find Nokian tires. There are other retailers of Nokian tires, but you may have to use the Nokian website (https://www.nokiantyres.com) to find one close to you/your city. But I can tell you they are not as common as other tire brands.

One other thing I noticed, and it may have been because of the Pathfinders odd size (265/55/16) the first set of tires purchased happened to be just shy of 3 years old. I got some $ off, but the fact that those tires had been sitting somewhere for almost 3 years tells me that Nokian is not a high volume tire mover, at least here in the States.

Also, when my GTI is up for its 4th set of tires, I will be torn...I'm going either Michelin Pilot Sport A/S4s or WR-G3/G4. Granted, not the same as winter performance is concerned, but the Mich PS A/S3s that are on it now have been flawless and I can't complain (except for price). The car is daily driven and far from being a racecar.

Last edited by GoFrogs; Yesterday at 02:39 AM.
    #savethemanuals _ #savethewagons _ #savethemanualwagons
    BEER
    BEER
    BEER
    Go Frogs!!!

Registered Member

2016 Mazda, CX-5 Sport

Please recommend me a great all season tire that good in snow for P225 / 65R17

I’ll chime with my support for the Nokian WR-G3 SUV. I live in the Pacific NW, our winters are typically wet down low and snow and ice up high. Summers can be hot. I wanted something capable of getting me to my winter sport destinations in the mountains, and also something I could leave on in the summer and achieve the safety of a normal tire. The Nokian has served me well! It is noisier than the stock tires. If you expect it to work on ice, it is not going to handle turns, just like any other tire (I had studded tires before these on a different car, those weren’t great on ice either). But so far, after 20,000 miles, a year and 2 months later, I am confident in my purchase of the tires, I will drive them to the mountain in snow covered conditions without hesitation. Just respect the ice, no issues:

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat...kian-wrg3-suv/

(Edit: I have a 2016 CX-5 AWD Sport w/67K miles)
    Last edited by jonnydwolf; Yesterday at 10:41 AM.

2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

I really canít recommend to anyone that they use a winter tire year round... not only will the ride be less smooth and quiet, but the tire will wear much quicker, rolling resistance increases, grip is not optimal... I thought that all of this was clear enough. Anyways, I guess Iíll add a review on my own for The Yokohama Iceguard IG52C winter tires, which Iíve been very pleased with. Tire wear is outstanding, very quiet and smooth over dry pavement.. I like how deep snow traction was sacrificed a little so that the tire can perform well in any sort of winter condition such as slush or ice, where this tire performed very commendably. Strongly recommend this tire for those of you who donít drive through a blizzard daily but actually experience normal winters where the conditions vary from just lots of snow everyday.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345