Please recommend me a great all season tire that good in snow for P225 / 65R17

Honestly have to say I haven't been too impressed by what I've been reading about the all-weather tires. At best they seem like they are better in snow than all-seasons, but that's about it. Not too impressed by the rest of their performance stats.

Yeah :/

ETA:

I've kindof done a 180*. I drive a lot, and do encounter snow, and ice, but the limited treadlife of the "all weather" tires, and the reviews I've read on Nokian's own website tell me they aren't what I need. People still say they slide sideways at stopsigns on glare ice, even with the WRG3 SUV tires, so I'm not going to be getting what I want, and I'll pay in every other area, as you note, so it makes sense just to stick with a good, long-wearing all-season. My CrossContact LX20's did me a solid over the last 50K miles, but I think I may well try the Trucontacts.

Also advantageous for vehicles like ours without staggered tires, is that the symmetric tread offers more rotation options for longer and more balanced treadlife.

Last edited:
I may try those or those Altimax tires.

Or I may get some winters (I got caught out in it yet again this past weekend), and then something more performance oriented for summer.

I don't know...

Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
I may try those or those Altimax tires.

Or I may get some winters (I got caught out in it yet again this past weekend), and then something more performance oriented for summer.

I don't know...

Decisions, decisions.

Altimax isn't rated that well though, and costs more than better tires.

General Altimax sounds like something you would put on your grandmas chevy malibu grocery getter..

If you want performance, get Yokohamas.

General Altimax sounds like something you would put on your grandmas chevy malibu grocery getter..

If you want performance, get Yokohamas.

Yokohamas kindof suck though. WHy would you use them? All of my SUV's have had either Continental Cross Contact LX20, or Destination LE2 tires. Ice braking is literally the only shortcoming I've ever noticed, and I'm using LX20's right now, and will transition back to LE2's in a week or so (for the alleged increase in ice braking). The Yoko's suck and I got rid of them the first 2 weeks I owned this thing.

abkva.jpg

261ksqs.jpg

11w7e2v.jpg

Last edited:
Yokohamas kindof suck though. WHy would you use them? All of my SUV's have had either Continental Cross Contact LX20, or Destination LE2 tires. Ice braking is literally the only shortcoming I've ever noticed, and I'm using LX20's right now, and will transition back to LE2's in a week or so (for the alleged increase in ice braking). The Yoko's suck and I got rid of them the first 2 weeks I owned this thing.

abkva.jpg

261ksqs.jpg

11w7e2v.jpg

The yoko geolanders OEM tire for the CX-5 is s***. Yokos actual performance tires are really good such as the advan a83a, Avid envigor, advan sport, etc. I also have ice guard winter tires which are also very good.

The yoko geolanders OEM tire for the CX-5 is s***. Yokos actual performance tires are really good such as the advan a83a, Avid envigor, advan sport, etc. I also have ice guard winter tires which are also very good.

I'm still deciding if I'm going to grab those winter tires (I'm 75% thinking I will though), in which case I might look at the Yoko performance tires for summer.

But I agree with Uno, when you look online they don't seem to be rated that great.

I don't know though. Those OEM Yoko's were such total s*** that it gave me a real strong aversion to Yokos.

Last edited:
I'm still deciding if I'm going to grab those winter tires (I'm 75% thinking I will though), in which case I might look at the Yoko performance tires for summer.

I don't know though. Those OEM Yoko's were such total s*** that it gave me a real strong aversion to Yokos.

No Yoko tire in the size your vehicle takes is worth a damn according to TireRack or Consumer Reports. GJ is just hard for them because he says Mazda "tuned the car to use them", which may well be so, but doesn't mean s***. When I was at Spring Mountain (to learn, nto work, but I did ask maintenance and mechanical questions), they would pull the Goodyear tires off the Corvettes, and race them with Michelin's, and t hen put the Goodyear's back on the 'vettes when they sold the cars to dealers with blocked warranties for cheap resale (and full discolosure). The Michelins were demonstrably better around the track, regardless of what the 'vette was "factory tuned with". It's all BS. Better tires, are better tires. Period.

No Yoko tire in the size your vehicle takes is worth a damn according to TireRack or Consumer Reports. GJ is just hard for them because he says Mazda "tuned the car to use them", which may well be so, but doesn't mean s***. When I was at Spring Mountain (to learn, nto work, but I did ask maintenance and mechanical questions), they would pull the Goodyear tires off the Corvettes, and race them with Michelin's, and t hen put the Goodyear's back on the 'vettes when they sold the cars to dealers with blocked warranties for cheap resale (and full discolosure). The Michelins were demonstrably better around the track, regardless of what the 'vette was "factory tuned with". It's all BS. Better tires, are better tires. Period.

I'm inclined to agree. I made sure to edit my above post. I agree when I looked they aren't rated that well.

So I will probably be looking elsewhere.

I'm inclined to agree. I made sure to edit my above post. I agree when I looked they aren't rated that well.

So I will probably be looking elsewhere.

For our vehicles, I've owned LX20, and on my Jeep, Destination LE2. It was even kinda a bit of "work" to break the LE2's loose on snow. I had to 'stab" the throttle, which you have to understand, is a 390#tq HEMI in my Jeep. My LX20's are worn out, now, and the LE2 got better ice braking ratings than the LX20 did, per Consumer Reports. I'll probably go back with them. My LX20's also did me a serious solid in many snow storms. The only shortcoming is I think they are costing me mpg, and I think they are very mediocre on glare ice,b ut I am betting I discover EVERYTHING is mediocre on THAT medium.

For our vehicles, I've owned LX20, and on my Jeep, Destination LE2. It was even kinda a bit of "work" to break the LE2's loose on snow. I had to 'stab" the throttle, which you have to understand, is a 390#tq HEMI in my Jeep. My LX20's are worn out, now, and the LE2 got better ice braking ratings than the LX20 did, per Consumer Reports. I'll probably go back with them. My LX20's also did me a serious solid in many snow storms. The only shortcoming is I think they are costing me mpg, and I think they are very mediocre on glare ice,b ut I am betting I discover EVERYTHING is mediocre on THAT medium.

Yeah I used to have a V8 Jeep with Destination AT's, so I know exactly what you mean.

Yeah ice is kinda a crap chute unless you have studs as far as I can see.

Yeah I used to have a V8 Jeep with Destination AT's, so I know exactly what you mean.

Yeah ice is kinda a crap chute unless you have studs as far as I can see.

Yeah, I am torn by the paralysis of analysis, and the fact that CR and Tire Rack and others disagree, lol

Destination LE2
LX20's
Truecontact

Those are kindof the 3 I'm waffling on.

Yeah, I am torn by the paralysis of analysis, and the fact that CR and Tire Rack and others disagree, lol

Destination LE2
LX20's
Truecontact

Those are kindof the 3 I'm waffling on.

How would the Altimax RT43 fit in to that mix? I imagine any of those listed would work but only the firestones are listed as H rated. Some shops are funny these days about installing tires with lower speed rating than oem.

Last edited:
How would the Altimax RT43 fit in to that mix? I imagine any of those listed would work but only the firestones are listed as H rated. Some shops are funny these days about installing tires with lower speed rating than oem.
OEM tires for CX-5 are H rated. At least the 17s.

Back