2018 CX-5 GS Dash Cam Installation

isketerol

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 GS 2018 AWD
I have just installed my Thinkware H100 dashcam in my CX-5 GS. It was really easy with a MirrorTap MTX cable. The only downside is that the cable cost a small fortune to import to Canada with the shipping and the exchange rate.

The basic steps were:

1. Use a voltmeter to determine that the outside of the power connector barrel was the -ve lead and the inside of the barrel was the +ve lead. The power plug fit my dashcam even tho it sticks out a little bit.
  2. Attach 3M Dual Lock tape to the windshield mount. I found it on Amazon. This tape basically is like velcro that you attach to the dashcam and to the windshield.
  3. Insert the leads of the MirrorTap into the HomeLink mirror. I found that the purple wire on the passenger side is the +ve lead and the black wire on the driver side is the -ve lead. This provides 12V DC switched power. I could not get a decent picture of this as the phone went into macro mode.
  4. Turn on the car in Accessory mode with the dashcam plugged in. It worked the first time.
  5. Turn off the car.
  6. Attach the dashcam mount to the windshield. I held it while I counted to 100 to ensure that the mount adhered properly.
  7. Attach the dashcam to the mount.
  8. Turn on the car again, It worked perfectly.
  9. Tidy up the wires. I had not done that in this picture yet.

Here's the end result - the extra wire goes to my GPS accessory for the dashcam.

Update:

• I ended up having to splice my existing barrel connector onto the MirrorTap. The stock connector just did not fit well enough - you can see that in the picture I took. My splicing is a bit of an ugly job but electrical tape hides the worst of it.
  • Purple is the switched +12 V connection. Blue is the always on. This is for the 2018 CX-5 GS. You could use the blue connection if you have a parking mode - my ThinkWare H100 does. You will be at risk of draining the battery; however.

attachment.php

Attachments

• mounted_dashcam.jpg
    mounted_dashcam.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 2,879
Last edited:
I have an Auto-Vox brand of Dash Cam, and it's not listed on MirrorTap's website. I'm wondering if they sell the correct one I need?

Mine was not listed. If it is barrel connection it may work or you may need to splice in your own. They also look to have some sort of RJ connection too.

IskiE

Mine was not listed. If it is barrel connection it may work or you may need to splice in your own. They also look to have some sort of RJ connection too.

IskiE

I ended up splicing my connector onto the end. I updated my instructions above.

Back