2018 CX-9 Touring....Cheap car Speakers

Gary935

:
Mazda CX 7 2009
Is anyone disappointed with the cheap speakers that come in the Touring edition (Non Bose)? I took my CX9 to an audio shop and when they removed the door panels the speakers were cheap paper cone speakers. I know they are stock speakers for a reason but come on, most Touring edition CX9 cost 35K and up...these speakers must be worth 5-10 dollars each. Needless to say I had the audio shop remove all the speakers in the CX9 and replace them with Alpine speakers and two pioneer subwoofers (each one 8 inches-already enclosed) in the back. What a difference between stock and my new system. In addition I heard a signature model with the Bose speakers and I thought mine sounded so much better than the Bose speakers as well.

How do you feel about your stock speakers??? Have you kept them or replace them?

I have the Bose, not really impressed. Then again, i'm not a fan of Bose. I did read that stuffing the sub enclosure with batting helps the muddy base. I'll probably do that when it warms up. If that doesn't help enough I'll start replacing things. Are they all standard sizes?

I have the Bose, not really impressed. Then again, i'm not a fan of Bose. I did read that stuffing the sub enclosure with batting helps the muddy base. I'll probably do that when it warms up. If that doesn't help enough I'll start replacing things. Are they all standard sizes?

They are 6 1/2 for the doors. I had them put two pioneers 8 inch sub-woofers that were already enclosed in the back (Slim design) and they were able to fit in the indentations on each side. The amp is under the storage cover in the back so you cant see it. They did a great job. I'll take a picture tomorrow so you can see. Sounds amazing now.

Is anyone disappointed with the cheap speakers that come in the Touring edition (Non Bose)? I took my CX9 to an audio shop and when they removed the door panels the speakers were cheap paper cone speakers. I know they are stock speakers for a reason but come on, most Touring edition CX9 cost 35K and up...these speakers must be worth 5-10 dollars each. Needless to say I had the audio shop remove all the speakers in the CX9 and replace them with Alpine speakers and two pioneer subwoofers (each one 8 inches-already enclosed) in the back. What a difference between stock and my new system. In addition I heard a signature model with the Bose speakers and I thought mine sounded so much better than the Bose speakers as well.

How do you feel about your stock speakers??? Have you kept them or replace them?

2018 Signature with Bose. I must say that while some complain about it, this system was designed for full spectrum digital audio recordings. If you bring that into the system and play it back, it will satisfy most of your audio needs. However, a system like this is actually de-tuned for less than full spectrum recordings and that will hurt playback quality of most tracks. Such recordings will probably sound unbalanced, flat and lacking in mid-range quality. Combine those things and this particular Bose arrangement will be less than entertaining.

Prove it to yourself. Go do a Lossless Codec recording of any favorite movie sound track (recorded with at least Surround Sound quality) saved to .mp3 on USB 2.1. Insert, select audio source and playback. In the CMU, select Settings > Sound and enable or turn "On" Bose Centerpoint. Adjust Bass/Treble/Fade/Balance to desired levels while you are there. Roll up all windows and close the sun roof. Turn up the volume and enjoy. It gets the job done. You can thank me later.

Now, if you download something from the internet to your cell phone and are unsure about the digital quality of the source recording (or, don't know anything about the quality at all), then your mileage may vary on getting those tracks to be fully enhanced by the Centerpoint algo at playback.

Did this with the opening tune from James Bond, Quantum of Solace (and many others), and it really shows how good Bose can be, when everything lines up correctly digitally speaking.

Last edited:
Hi, any chance of some photos please. Really keen to change my speakers. Have new infinity speakers ready for install.
Many thanks

2018 Signature with Bose. I must say that while some complain about it, this system was designed for full spectrum digital audio recordings. If you bring that into the system and play it back, it will satisfy most of your audio needs. However, a system like this is actually de-tuned for less than full spectrum recordings and that will hurt playback quality of most tracks. Such recordings will probably sound unbalanced, flat and lacking in mid-range quality. Combine those things and this particular Bose arrangement will be less than entertaining.

Prove it to yourself. Go do a Lossless Codec recording of any favorite movie sound track (recorded with at least Surround Sound quality) saved to .mp3 on USB 2.1. Insert, select audio source and playback. In the CMU, select Settings > Sound and enable or turn "On" Bose Centerpoint. Adjust Bass/Treble/Fade/Balance to desired levels while you are there. Roll up all windows and close the sun roof. Turn up the volume and enjoy. It gets the job done. You can thank me later.

Now, if you download something from the internet to your cell phone and are unsure about the digital quality of the source recording (or, don't know anything about the quality at all), then your mileage may vary on getting those tracks to be fully enhanced by the Centerpoint algo at playback.

Did this with the opening tune from James Bond, Quantum of Solace (and many others), and it really shows how good Bose can be, when everything lines up correctly digitally speaking.

Agree with you. I have lots of hi-res stuff on a USB key and it sounds pretty good through the Bose system (I have Bose Centerpoint and Bose Audiopilot engaged and have tweaked the equalizer settings). I plan to dampen the subwoofer down the road -- as some on this forum have recommended -- as with most Bose systems the bass is bloated and not tuneful. Dampening should somewhat increase my listening enjoyment. By the way, I've listened to Sirius in two Mazda's (2015 "6" and 2017 CX-9) with the Bose system and it sucks -- primarily because the source sucks.

Is the head unit itself a Bose? Or are the head units the same between the Bose and regular.?

Latest posts

Back