Door Felt Frozen and Ripped Off

:
2017 CX-5 Touring AWD
So this morning was pretty cold, about 10F or so. I was in the process of brushing my CX-5 off, and when I went to open the driver's side door to start the car, it was kind of frozen shut. So I pulled a little harder and it opened, and I went on my way.

Just a bit ago I went to get lunch, and when I opened the door, I noticed a strip of the felt-like material at the top of the door had ripped off the door frame and stuck to the inside of the door jamb.

Has this happened to anybody else? A quick Google search turned nothing up. I just bought this car on Monday, so I'm kinda bummed out as I live in the NE so harsh winters are quite common.

So this morning was pretty cold, about 10F or so. I was in the process of brushing my CX-5 off, and when I went to open the driver's side door to start the car, it was kind of frozen shut. So I pulled a little harder and it opened, and I went on my way.

Just a bit ago I went to get lunch, and when I opened the door, I noticed a strip of the felt-like material at the top of the door had ripped off the door frame and stuck to the inside of the door jamb.

Has this happened to anybody else? A quick Google search turned nothing up. I just bought this car on Monday, so I'm kinda bummed out as I live in the NE so harsh winters are quite common.

I have seen it happen in the past (non mazda many years ago). If you just bought the car, possibly something the dealer did when cleaning it up and stayed wet.

I would take it back to the dealer - after 4 days this should not happen.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm going to take some pictures now and email the dealership. It just sucks that the dealership I bought it from is over an hour away from work/home. Only went to that particular one because I had my eye on a used 2017, but ended up getting a new one for less. Even still the next closest Mazda dealership is roughly 45 minutes away, but I really didn't think I'd have to be back there within a week of buying the vehicle.

It was kind of an odd shift in weather, though. Last night it was in the 50s and raining, then that turned to a heavy, wet snow, and then the temperature dropped steeply overnight, so I don't know that it's necessarily the dealer's fault the material was wet. But regardless of why it got wet, I agree that shouldn't happen.

Makes it difficult to advise what to do when you don't say whether this is a new or used vehicle.(shrug) That's why there's a place in your profile for model/year info.

Makes it difficult to advise what to do when you don't say whether this is a new or used vehicle.(shrug) That's why there's a place in your profile for model/year info.

My bad, I just joined yesterday and didn't realize that. I'll add it now.

FWIW, it's brand new, a 2017 Touring.

So take it back to the dealer. That's what a 36 month bumper to bumper warranty is for. Even if for some reason it was not deemed warrantable under that, you also have 12 months of "adjustments" coverage for cosmetic and nit-picky issue such as this.

I think alphadog is onto something. They probably washed it before delivery, and the wet material froze to the steel body. When you opened the door it all ripped away. I'm sure they'll take care of you.

paris1, in the post directly above your 1st one, he mentioned that it's a new car. ;)

So take it back to the dealer. That's what a 36 month bumper to bumper warranty is for. Even if for some reason it was not deemed warrantable under that, you also have 12 months of "adjustments" coverage for cosmetic and nit-picky issue such as this.

Alright, sorry for wasting your time. I understand what the warranty is for. I wasn't saying I didn't know what to do about it, I was asking if anybody else had experienced this kind of issue before so I knew whether I should expect it to happen again or it was a one-time, chance occurrence.

You know I wasn't personally asking for your input, right? There's no need to go around being a dick just because you think somebody is just being "nit-picky" about a car they bought three days ago, just don't respond. Personally, I don't think being concerned about the inside of my door trim ripping off and sticking to the car frame is being "nit-picky" at all.

Alright, sorry for wasting your time. I understand what the warranty is for. I wasn't saying I didn't know what to do about it, I was asking if anybody else had experienced this kind of issue before so I knew whether I should expect it to happen again or it was a one-time, chance occurrence.

You know I wasn't personally asking for your input, right? There's no need to go around being a dick just because you think somebody is just being "nit-picky" about a car they bought three days ago, just don't respond. Personally, I don't think being concerned about the inside of my door trim ripping off and sticking to the car frame is being "nit-picky" at all.

I noticed that too.
We were all new to this at some point, no need to get eggy on the new guy because he didn't put his model year in his profile. LOL.

Congrats on the new car enz1ey. From what all these CX-5 threads are saying, it's a great car and you're gonna love it for years to come. Maybe a little coat of wax in the door frame will help keep this from happening again.

Last edited:
I noticed that too.
We were all new to this at some point, no need to get eggy on the new guy because he didn't put his model year in his profile. LOL.

Congrats on the new car enz1ey. From what all these CX-5 threads are saying, it's a great car and you're gonna love it for years to come. Maybe a little coat of wax in the door frame will help keep this from happening again.

Right? And it's not like the model info would've done much anyhow, it could've been a used 2017 as well. But whatever, we all have our days when we forget our morning coffee on the counter at home so I'm not worried about it.

Thanks though, I'm hoping so. First brand new car I've ever bought, and a big change compared to the Veloster I traded for it. So far I'm loving it though. And yeah I was seeing threads about the windows sticking on some models and there were suggestions of using a silicone grease roller, so I might try that as well. Like I said above, though, the weather was kind of freaky, I can't recall many times when we've gotten the amount of rain we did just hours before a big drop in temperature like that.

Thanks for the advice!

I think alphadog is onto something. They probably washed it before delivery, and the wet material froze to the steel body. When you opened the door it all ripped away. I'm sure they'll take care of you.

paris1, in the post directly above your 1st one, he mentioned that it's a new car. ;)
Check the time stamp; he was posting at the same time I was. BTW, lots of members here who have been on the forum for years never bother to list their car as anything other than "CX-5".

Right? And it's not like the model info would've done much anyhow, it could've been a used 2017 as well. But whatever, we all have our days when we forget our morning coffee on the counter at home so I'm not worried about it.

Thanks though, I'm hoping so. First brand new car I've ever bought, and a big change compared to the Veloster I traded for it. So far I'm loving it though. And yeah I was seeing threads about the windows sticking on some models and there were suggestions of using a silicone grease roller, so I might try that as well. Like I said above, though, the weather was kind of freaky, I can't recall many times when we've gotten the amount of rain we did just hours before a big drop in temperature like that.

Thanks for the advice!

I don't think this is a long term worry. The 2017 has been out almost a year now and there is no long winter forum thread with others saying the same. No lack of snow, rain or cold either.

I'm glad it was just weatherstripping. The title made me wonder if the DOOR ripped off! (eek2)
Welcome to the group. You'll find the discussions often become rather spirited. (bicker)

Welcome to the forum from Long Island, NY.
It sucks to go back to the dealer 4 days after you bought it.
As @Natey said, a little wax may prevent this to happening again.
Also helps that if the doors is frozen to open it, tap all the way around to break any ice sticking to the frame.

I noticed that too.

Thanks for the advice!

The wax is a good idea and I have another.

This stuff works great, it's a bit pricey but the convenience is worth it IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

51QK8YaFB8L._SL1000_.jpg

Been there, done that especially after car washes before the night of a flash freeze. Some silicone spray around the rubber seal will prevent this. Spray onto a rag then wipe on. Congrats on the new car and hope this will be the biggest issue that you will have.

Use this thing that the German cars use on the rubber weather strip on your car doors and windows and it will never freeze on you. This is part of the winter ritual if you live in cold climate as I do. The other bits are the blue minus degree wind shield fluid (in USA they seemm to be yellow) and a graphite dust car key hole spray. That way your car doors always open, the windshield gets a god clean spray and the key slot never freezes on you during harshest of winters.

Either that or some Meguires rubber and vinyl protectant. Or you could do like I did and park it for the winter and drive the winter beast.

I'll probably treat mine once I get home, good idea.

Last edited:
I'm glad it was just weatherstripping. The title made me wonder if the DOOR ripped off! (eek2)
Welcome to the group. You'll find the discussions often become rather spirited. (bicker)
The door felt like it was frozen and ripped off: is how I read it too. Glad I'm not the only one. [emoji16]
Ok, freak accident guys. You can stop recommending he lube the door with stuff.
The crazy things you all do. [emoji39]
Oh, and who said graphite for the keyholes? What's a keyhole?

Either that or some Meguires rubber and vinyl protestant. Or you could do like I did and park it for the winter and drive the winter beast.

I'll probably treat mine once I get home, good idea.

'vinyl protestant'? What does religion have to do with this? :D

Back