2017 Touring with cloth inserts

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
On the 2017 Touring models. They have leather/vinyl seats but then I noticed a cloth like insert in the middle. What is that? Does it wear and clean well?

On the 2017 Touring models. They have leather/vinyl seats but then I noticed a cloth like insert in the middle. What is that? Does it wear and clean well?
It's either suede or pseudo-seude. With the black interior is has been fine. No noticeable wear for me but it's only been 6mths.

Cleaning? Not sure. Can't really tell if it's dirty lol.

My wife has those seats in her CX-3 - they are wearing well after almost a year and are easy to clean. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they have held up.

You talking about the "Leatherette"? That's what's in the new Tourings.

I like leather but prefer the cloth to the leatherette. If I got a touring, I'd probably fit it with aftermarket seat covers.

I think the 2017 touring seats bolsters are vinyl (extruded leather?) And the inserts are a cloth suede like material. That is my take on mine. Not real leather and suede. I Scotch Guarded my seats so that any spills immediately bead up and do not soak in for a quick clean up.

So it is suede center with a leather surround.

No, there are NO animal by-products in the Touring seatcover.
The window sticker also details it as "Leatherette seats with Lux Suede inserts". (hippy)

Leatherette = VINYL
Lux Suede = LUX SUEDE is a trademark of SEIREN KABUSHIKI KAISHA, a woven and knitted textile.
Meaning there is no suede, and there is no leather, it is all just synthetic materials.

Last edited:
I actually like the leatherette as it keeps me from sliding around on turns, unlike my 2016 GT which made me slide. My 2016 had white/parchment which looked nice but my jeans would run off and leave blue color on the seats. I had to constantly clean the seats to remove the blue color.

Is it OK to use 303 cleaner on the vinyl portion?

It's fake microsuede. I love it. My 370Z and Jeep Grand Cherokee had it. Don't stain it, and you'll be fine. By don't stain, I mean no hair dye spills, etc. I never had an issue with mine except some crap someone got in the back seat of my Jeep before I owned it. My father clearned it (owns a carpet and upholstery cleaning business) and it was 95% better. I personally view the feature you mention as a huge plus for comfort etc. and it looks classy to me. My advice on seating surfaces is "go dark" and on interior trim/roof/pillars, "go light". It's a compromise that makes the interior seem larger while making the stain-surfaces more stain-resistant.

No, there are NO animal by-products in the Touring seatcover.
The window sticker also details it as "Leatherette seats with Lux Suede inserts". (hippy)

Leatherette = VINYL
Lux Suede = LUX SUEDE is a trademark of SEIREN KABUSHIKI KAISHA, a woven and knitted textile.
Meaning there is no suede, and there is no leather, it is all just synthetic materials.

I always thought "leatherette" meant "cloth-backed leather-faced."

As a datapoint, I have 76K miles roughly on my 2015 Touring with cloth seats, and they look brand new.

Back