TAILGATING | Crime or Civil Violation?

G

Guest2018

Hello Fellow Mazda Owners of the World.

I earned my pilots license before earning my drivers license and have been doing both one way or another since ages 8 (flying) and 10 (driving). I flew with my uncle from the right seat in his Baron, a former air force officer and combat/test pilot, until I was old enough to take the written/oral/flight exams. I had my pilots license in exactly 41 hours with 40 being required by regulations. I drove with my father from the left seat (with him in the right seat) in the confines of empty parking lots around town early Saturday mornings before 7am. So, I was flying legally before driving legally.

This subject has reached critical mass in my mind. I can remember a time back in the late 70s, very early 80s, when driving out where I lived was very pleasurable. You actually enjoyed driving back then where I lived, aside from the Nixon/OPEC fuel crisis which sent the cost of a gallon through what was then the proverbial roof. I'm not necessarily talking about lower populations which brought about fewer vehicles being on the road. I'm talking about the attitude, disposition and demeanor of drivers back then. People knew the regulations and were far more courteous in their driving habits. People understood that Left Turns must yield right of way to oncoming and perpendicular traffic.

People understood that when two or more vehicles approach a controlled intersection within one vehicle length of each other that the vehicle to the right has right of way. People, knew and understood that merely putting on a turn signal without clearing traffic over both shoulders does not automatically provide the driver with right of way to make a lane change directly on top of another vehicle already occupying that lane. People knew that where not prohibited, U-Turns in perpendicular traffic has right of way and precedence over all right turns from a controlled stop. I can walk down the list of California Vehicle Codes that seemed to be understood by most back in those days and where abidance was the norm. Not anymore.

Today, the Number #1 causation for collisions (in the State of California) between vehicles is Tailgating, aka by code: "Following Too Close." This problem, as far as I am concerned has reached epidemic proportions and so much so that even law enforcement seems to have stopped issuing citations to violators of this code. Chronic, perpetual, intentional tailgating is three things:

- A Violation of Vehicle Code
- A Threat to Safety and Human Life
- A Clear Demonstration of Lower Intelligence

My primary concern is with the second of these concerns. Tailgating takes place far too often and across the entire Lane Spectrum. Incredibly foolish people are now out there intentionally tailgating in the far right lane. People out there are tailgating when the vehicle directly in front of them is traveling at the limit. Fast Lane or Slow Lane and every other lane between, massively foolish people are completely ill behaved when they intentionally and perpetually "Follow Too Close," threatening the safety and lives of those they follow. In my mind, this is a form of Stalking at minimum and a threat to Human Safety and Life at maximum. These needs to stop. The question is, what are we as a society going to do about Tailgating, Following Too Close and essentially what has become Vehicle Stalking?

Tailgaters and Vehicle Stalkers are dangerous (to others and themselves), not very bright and ultimately foolish. Typically, they are highly arrogant, narrow minded, obtuse, wildly irrational and either outright narcissistic and/or borderline pathological. Worse case scenario would be a Tailgater or Vehicle Stalker who is a Covert Narcissist - the absolute worst kind/type of narcissist in existence by a country mile at least.

Less of a Ranting Thread, I'd like to know what you civil minded folks believe and think about Vehicle Stalkers in general and what you think we could do en masse to work with law enforcement and government legislators to bring an end to this insidiously dangerous and foolish behavior. Some ideas to bet the ball rolling:

- Cause law enforcement to dramatically increase stops for violations of CVC 21703 (California - Your State/Country will have a different code on the books)
- Place a specific number of unmarked law enforcement units on the road/highway on "Vehicle Stalking Search & Cite Missions"
- Enable lawful provisions for the use of private on-board cameras as evidence of Vehicle Stalking (turn in your dashcam footage to law enforcement for prosecution)
- Increase fines for Tailgating to $750.00 first incident, $1,500 for each additional violation up to and including impounding of vehicle after 5 incidents
- New Legislation that introduces the concept of "Vehicle Stalking" with Criminal Prosecution instead of Civil Code Violation status

Enter your "solutions" and talk about the last time you nearly got run off the road by a Tailgater with little to no IQ. More collisions (notice I don't call them accidents) are caused by Tailgating morons than any other causation in the State of California. Your mileage may vary in your State/Country. This drives up the cost of insurance premiums for all of us and it places all our lives at greater risk each and every day we take to the roads, streets and highways where we live.

This is a serious problem and it needs serious attention. Most importantly, it needs and deserves wide spread acceptance as a serious problem that needs serious attention. If we don't do something about it collectively, any one of us could be the next Surviving Family Member who gets the dreaded phone call from the Police, telling you how they regret having to inform you that your (Fill In The Blank Here) has just been killed by a Tailgater/Vehicle Stalker. Can you please come with us to identify the remains of your loved one. Or, the remains of your loved one were so badly burned in the resultant fire that took place immediately after being rear-ended, that only dental records and DNA tests are available means of identifying your loved one.

Vehicle Stalking. An intentional behavior that needs to be Criminally Prosecuted at close range. What say you.

Hello Fellow Mazda Owners of the World.

I earned my pilots license before earning my drivers license and have been doing both one way or another since ages 8 (flying) and 10 (driving). I flew with my uncle from the right seat in his Baron, a former air force officer and combat/test pilot, until I was old enough to take the written/oral/flight exams. I had my pilots license in exactly 41 hours with 40 being required by regulations. I drove with my father from the left seat (with him in the right seat) in the confines of empty parking lots around town early Saturday mornings before 7am. So, I was flying legally before driving legally.

This subject has reached critical mass in my mind. I can remember a time back in the late 70s, very early 80s, when driving out where I lived was very pleasurable. You actually enjoyed driving back then where I lived, aside from the Nixon/OPEC fuel crisis which sent the cost of a gallon through what was then the proverbial roof. I'm not necessarily talking about lower populations which brought about fewer vehicles being on the road. I'm talking about the attitude, disposition and demeanor of drivers back then. People knew the regulations and were far more courteous in their driving habits. People understood that Left Turns must yield right of way to oncoming and perpendicular traffic.

People understood that when two or more vehicles approach a controlled intersection within one vehicle length of each other that the vehicle to the right has right of way. People, knew and understood that merely putting on a turn signal without clearing traffic over both shoulders does not automatically provide the driver with right of way to make a lane change directly on top of another vehicle already occupying that lane. People knew that where not prohibited, U-Turns in perpendicular traffic has right of way and precedence over all right turns from a controlled stop. I can walk down the list of California Vehicle Codes that seemed to be understood by most back in those days and where abidance was the norm. Not anymore.

Today, the Number #1 causation for collisions (in the State of California) between vehicles is Tailgating, aka by code: "Following Too Close." This problem, as far as I am concerned has reached epidemic proportions and so much so that even law enforcement seems to have stopped issuing citations to violators of this code. Chronic, perpetual, intentional tailgating is three things:

- A Violation of Vehicle Code
- A Threat to Safety and Human Life
- A Clear Demonstration of Lower Intelligence

My primary concern is with the second of these concerns. Tailgating takes place far too often and across the entire Lane Spectrum. Incredibly foolish people are now out there intentionally tailgating in the far right lane. People out there are tailgating when the vehicle directly in front of them is traveling at the limit. Fast Lane or Slow Lane and every other lane between, massively foolish people are completely ill behaved when they intentionally and perpetually "Follow Too Close," threatening the safety and lives of those they follow. In my mind, this is a form of Stalking at minimum and a threat to Human Safety and Life at maximum. These needs to stop. The question is, what are we as a society going to do about Tailgating, Following Too Close and essentially what has become Vehicle Stalking?

Tailgaters and Vehicle Stalkers are dangerous (to others and themselves), not very bright and ultimately foolish. Typically, they are highly arrogant, narrow minded, obtuse, wildly irrational and either outright narcissistic and/or borderline pathological. Worse case scenario would be a Tailgater or Vehicle Stalker who is a Covert Narcissist - the absolute worst kind/type of narcissist in existence by a country mile at least.

Less of a Ranting Thread, I'd like to know what you civil minded folks believe and think about Vehicle Stalkers in general and what you think we could do en masse to work with law enforcement and government legislators to bring an end to this insidiously dangerous and foolish behavior. Some ideas to bet the ball rolling:

- Cause law enforcement to dramatically increase stops for violations of CVC 21703 (California - Your State/Country will have a different code on the books)
- Place a specific number of unmarked law enforcement units on the road/highway on "Vehicle Stalking Search & Cite Missions"
- Enable lawful provisions for the use of private on-board cameras as evidence of Vehicle Stalking (turn in your dashcam footage to law enforcement for prosecution)
- Increase fines for Tailgating to $750.00 first incident, $1,500 for each additional violation up to and including impounding of vehicle after 5 incidents
- New Legislation that introduces the concept of "Vehicle Stalking" with Criminal Prosecution instead of Civil Code Violation status

Enter your "solutions" and talk about the last time you nearly got run off the road by a Tailgater with little to no IQ. More collisions (notice I don't call them accidents) are caused by Tailgating morons than any other causation in the State of California. Your mileage may vary in your State/Country. This drives up the cost of insurance premiums for all of us and it places all our lives at greater risk each and every day we take to the roads, streets and highways where we live.

This is a serious problem and it needs serious attention. Most importantly, it needs and deserves wide spread acceptance as a serious problem that needs serious attention. If we don't do something about it collectively, any one of us could be the next Surviving Family Member who gets the dreaded phone call from the Police, telling you how they regret having to inform you that your (Fill In The Blank Here) has just been killed by a Tailgater/Vehicle Stalker. Can you please come with us to identify the remains of your loved one. Or, the remains of your loved one were so badly burned in the resultant fire that took place immediately after being rear-ended, that only dental records and DNA tests are available means of identifying your loved one.

Vehicle Stalking. An intentional behavior that needs to be Criminally Prosecuted at close range. What say you.

Very interesting post. thank you for taking the time to write this up - it was a great read and got me thinking.

where I live in the suburbs of toronto, I don't recall ever having such a serious issue with tailgating. from what i've observed, people here keep a safe following distance, but there are many, many other problems. for one, the majority of drivers on the road here are grossly incompetent of driving a vehicle safely and it makes me feel very uncomfortable on the road. as a driver, I 100% agree with you that keeping a safe following distance from the car in front is the number 1 way to prevent accidents, and I have made the habit of always doing this from a very early age. based off my experience, what I have noted is that keeping a safe following distance gives you more time to decide how much you should modulate your brakes in order to come to a smooth stop. I always, ALWAYS start to brake early and come to a stop in one, smooth linear motion. this allows all the vehicles behind me to get an idea of how fast they should be going so they can come to a safe, smooth stop and I don't recall anyone ever getting even close to rear ending me.

another thing I strongly believe in is to always be well aware of what is happening around you. you have to always drive two steps ahead, and I think it is very very important to be able to differentiate from when you can open up the throttle a little, and when you should be driving slowly and cautiously, and this brings me on to the biggest issue I have with the other drivers in my area. I constantly see people driving slow when they have space, driving fast when there is no space, and it makes things stressful and difficult for the other road users who are trying to make the roads a safe place to commute on.

don't get me wrong, I may sound like I am a safe driver, but I am actually very spirited. I love to drive fast, I also go very quickly into corners, etc. but I believe the key is to knowing when you can have fun, and when it's best to be cautious and I have never had any issues on the road by simply following this simple yet effective rule I have made.

another thing I tend to do (especially when I am driving my manual Nissan) is to drive slowly/coast toward red lights. I always see people accelerating toward red lights and then braking last second... it's stupid. most of the time I drive slow enough where I am still rolling along in second gear by the time the light turns green, and I can really feel a difference with fuel economy by doing this even though I do drive fast whenever the road is open. driving is all about the conservation of momentum and driving a manual vehicle really helps to give you a different perspective about it VS. your typical automatic car. I have learned to be more patient as the years passed, but I still can't stand it when someone cuts in front of me while I am coasting toward a red light. it doesnt happen often, but when it does I will go into the left-turn lane and physically take back my spot from the person that just cut in front of me. so satisfying :)

anyone else have some good driving tips? lets make this a great thread where everyone can learn something from each other.

Last edited:
Very interesting post. thank you for taking the time to write this up - it was a great read and got me thinking.

Thanks!

where I live in the suburbs of toronto, I don't recall ever having such a serious issue with tailgating. from what i've observed, people here keep a safe following distance, but there are many, many other problems. for one, the majority of drivers on the road here are grossly incompetent of driving a vehicle safely and it makes me feel very uncomfortable on the road. as a driver, I 100% agree with you that keeping a safe following distance from the car in front is the number 1 way to prevent accidents, and I have made the habit of always doing this from a very early age. based off my experience, what I have noted is that keeping a safe following distance gives you more time to decide how much you should modulate your brakes in order to come to a smooth stop. I always, ALWAYS start to brake early and come to a stop in one, smooth linear motion. this allows all the vehicles behind me to get an idea of how fast they should be going so they can come to a safe, smooth stop and I don't recall anyone ever getting even close to rear ending me.

Interesting indeed! I've seen people on the net describe Vancouver, as having the worst drivers in Canada. I have no idea whether that's true or not, but you are over in Toronto. More interesting is that I used to travel to Toronto, pick up rentals and drive from the airport into the Markham area all the time when I use to work in enterprise software. Familiar with Toronto traffic of the 90s and early 2000s. I have no idea how things have evolved since then.

You mention Safe Distance. Most States in the US have vehicle codes on the books that prohibit "Following Too Close." The problem with such vague coding is that one persons "too close" is not another persons "too close." You made good points about using good braking habits and managing energy of your vehicle. That requires thoughtfulness and it seems like (at least down here in the US) thoughtfulness is not in abundance in this country with respect to Tailgating. It also seems like people have very little understanding of the Physics involved with collisions and how dangerous those collisions can be. So, little respect is paid down here to "Following Too Close" and it would appear that much of that has to do with pure ignorance of the energy involved when vehicles collide.

I've been rear-ended three (3) [count'em] times. Each time, I was at a stop waiting for right of way. So, my acuity level for people who Follow Too Close is high.

another thing I strongly believe in is to always be well aware of what is happening around you. you have to always drive two steps ahead, and I think it is very very important to be able to differentiate from when you can open up the throttle a little, and when you should be driving slowly and cautiously, and this brings me on to the biggest issue I have with the other drivers in my area. I constantly see people driving slow when they have space, driving fast when there is no space, and it makes things stressful and difficult for the other road users who are trying to make the roads a safe place to commute on.

Agreed. Situational Awareness or SA applies not only to licensed pilots, but to drivers of vehicles on the road as well. Driving requires (demands) skill, knowledge of the rules and the ability to apply that knowledge in real-time. You see so many people failing at executing on the knowledge part. But, my broader point here is that I'm now seeing people who clearly never took the time to even develop an understanding of the knowledge required - so they can't possibly ever develop the required skill - let alone ever execute on it properly. To wit, we now see people engaged in Chronic Tailgating. And, they seem to not even know that what they are doing is highly dangerous and a violation of code. That's scary, that we have reached that point - at least here in the US we have, without question.

I routinely monitor the block of traffic I'm flowing with. I routinely calculate (roughly) 80% to 90% of the vehicles in that block or flow of traffic engaged in Chronic Tailgating of each other. It is like flowing inside a Train that just waiting to wreck itself. Driving past collisions on the free way, I always note where the damage to vehicles is located. Almost invariably you will see damage to the Front Bumper area of one vehicle followed by damage to the Rear Bumper area of another vehicle. Somebody allowed their vehicle to get too close to the vehicle directly in front of them.

In reply, a Safe Distance would be that distance that affords the individual trailing another vehicle sufficient Time and Distance to come to a full stop without plowing into the rear of the vehicle they trail. Studies have been done on this and it has been found that it takes 1.2 seconds to get a visual signal from the outside world, through your visual cortex, processed by the brain and then out through your nervous system and into a muscle response that begins the process of lifting your foot of the throttle and onto the brake pedal. And, that's just the initiation of the full braking sequence. It takes another 0.5 seconds to move your foot from the throttle to the brake pedal itself. Another, 0.35 seconds to depress the brake pedal to initiate threshold braking. From there things get very variable so to speak. Up to now, it was all Physiological, Neurological and Bio-mechanical.

After threshold braking has been initiated, the rate at which brake force increases to peak is mostly determined by the quality and capabilities of the vehicle being driven. This is where things get very wild in terms of variability. On average however, it was determined that peak threshold brake force would be achieved in a range of between 0.45 to as much as 1.8 seconds. That's a huge (massive) variable considering the goal of rapid negative acceleration to a full stop. In addition, brake wear, tire performance, temperature, humidity and physical road conditions can all serve to increase the onset of max threshold braking by as much as 3 full seconds on worst case scenarios.

So, when you add all this up is drastically changes what should be en empirically derived Safe Distance, but precious few people out there drive with a separation factor of 3 full seconds behind the vehicle directly in front of them. However, if they were to do the math, they would find that a 3-second gap is the minimum rational distance required to truly drive safely while allowing enough time for emergency stops if/when they become necessary. Add a wet road and that Time interval increases. Put ice on the road and it increases yet again. But, this requires "thoughtfulness" and that's not what we do anymore in the US. We don't think. We just get in and go. We don't think about consequences and mitigating risk until something bad happens - if we survive it.

Doing the math, this returns a ratio of 1 vehicle length for every 10 miles per hour that your vehicle is traveling. A 10:1 ratio in distance (using the length of your vehicle) is the minimum separation factor that would prevent a ton of rear-end collisions taking place today in the US. That 10:1 ratio turns out to be very close to a 3-second gap. 80% to 90% of the people down here drive well inside that 3-second gap. Many of them are down to 1 second or less by my calculations. There is no way on earth a rear-end won't happen if the lead vehicle needs to make an emergency stop. Just no way.

don't get me wrong, I may sound like I am a safe driver, but I am actually very spirited. I love to drive fast, I also go very quickly into corners, etc. but I believe the key is to knowing when you can have fun, and when it's best to be cautious and I have never had any issues on the road by simply following this simple yet effective rule I have made.

I agree. In fact, there is nothing wrong with "speed" inherently outside of what happens if there is a collision. Speed is not what causes problems mostly. Any speed with too close proximity to the vehicle directly in front is the real culprit. We could all drive at 100 mph - but only if we maintained a vehicle separation factor that allowed for emergency stops. So, 100 mph using 10:1, the safe distance would expand to 10 vehicle lengths behind the lead vehicle. The safe distance must increase with speed - making speed moot in terms of an inherent safety issue.

It is the proximity coupled to speed that people seem to not understand. Else, they would not drive with such short distances between themselves and the lead vehicle.

Nice post!

I'm afraid it's the same here in the UK. Incidentally, the most prolific tailgaters seem to be BMW or Audi drivers. The trouble is that YOU keep a safe distance and then one of these w*****s cuts you up without indicating usually. I often find that indicators on BMW's don't appear to function, perhaps they are not fitted as standard?;)

I'm afraid it's the same here in the UK. Incidentally, the most prolific tailgaters seem to be BMW or Audi drivers. The trouble is that YOU keep a safe distance and then one of these w*****s cuts you up without indicating usually. I often find that indicators on BMW's don't appear to function, perhaps they are not fitted as standard?;)

I think they are standard equipment, LOL!

I guess I could have just as well posted an OP that discussed Bad Drivers in general who can't seem to make Good Decisions. So, yes. You are absolutely right about that. The Unsafe Lane Change. It is one of the primary causes that puts YOU in a position of "Tailgating" the new lead vehicle directly in front of you. But, equally as important, it now places you in a position of having to either slow down or in some cases greatly reduce your speed with hard braking, just so you can extend a proper distance. The Cause and Effect nature of that is if the vehicle trailing you is a Chronic Tailgater, then the Unsafe Lane Change in front of you, puts you in a position of possibly getting rear-ended in that chain reaction type of thing I mentioned above.

Just a series of really poor decisions causing an in-line series of negative consequences sustained by all involved. When talking about vehicles that weight thousands of pounds traveling at speed, that's a lot of inertial momentum carrying to what is otherwise a pretty thin slice of sheet metal.

Stripped down, driving is about Decision Making and that should be the real focus of a Driver's Test, regardless of country, IMO.

I think the person in the passing lane (it's NOT called the "fast lane") that refuses to pass and causes people 15 cars back to tailgate and weave lane to lane through traffic is the root of most road rage and tailgating. Lets get to the real problem. The one that never gets pulled over or even mentioned. The lane hog.

How many times have you gone 50 on the freeway for miles behind some idiot who paces a semi truck while checking their facebook? All fried on Oxycontin or whatever the hell their doctor has them hooked on. Don't get me wrong, I don't tailgate or weave or even commute, but I definitely see it and you can't place ALL the blame on the guy who just wants to go 55 on his way to work. Slower Traffic Keep Right is what all the signs say, but that's too much to ask.

"When I'm on the freeway, anyone going slower than me is an idiot and anyone going faster than me is an asshole."
-George Carlin

I think the person in the passing lane (it's NOT called the "fast lane") that refuses to pass and causes people 15 cars back to tailgate and weave lane to lane through traffic is the root of most road rage and tailgating.

While I agree in part with your statement (again in the UK as I've never driven overseas so cannot compare) at times a BMW or Audi will tailgate so close I think I'm towing them. All I can see is their windscreen and the driver's face in my rear view mirror. What they don't realise or are too thick to notice is that you cannot go any faster as lorries have blocked both lanes of the dual carriageway as they are speed limited and cannot go any faster although they try and overtake each other which can take a couple of miles.

i have also seen cars tailgate each other at 90mph or more and both in the outside lane when the inside is clear so lane hogging is not the issue in this case. It is actually a traffic offence to tailgate in the UK but unfortunately due to the poor state of public finances there are less police around to enforce it.

On a light hearted note (with a grain of truth) see https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+bmw+drivers&view=detail&mid=F1F947C92C9F13AC11E0F1F947C92C9F13AC11E0&FORM=VIRE

I think the person in the passing lane (it's NOT called the "fast lane") that refuses to pass and causes people 15 cars back to tailgate...

I'll just dissect this a bit.

First, a "passing lane" is that lane which is to the left of the vehicle you are trailing (in most western cultures - though this may vary region by region). The so-called "passing lane" has never been defined exclusively as the left most lane. Finally, "passing" is an adjective that modifies the noun "lane." Itself, the phrase "passing lane" was never intended by most jurisdictions that write vehicle code to be part of a classic noun phrase. So, the phrase itself it is not attached to a thing, such as a noun. When most people use that phrase, they do so out of context.

The "Passing Lane" is a theoretical adjunct to a relative concept - both grammatically and legally (again, in most jurisdictions I'm familiar with). That is to say, the "passing lane" itself is not fixed in either Time or Space. It is a relative term or phrase to express the possibility of "passing" in "a" lane that from time to time exists, depending on traffic conditions. Ergo, it would be my strong contention that using the phrase "passing lane" (in error) while multiple that error with the implication that a right to pass always exists, is wrong and potentially dangerous.

The calculus is rather simple. A "passing lane" exists only when there is a sufficient number of lanes (typically to the left of the vehicle being trailed) in order to execute a pass. If no lane exists for such a purpose, then no "passing lane" exists. It is not a difficult assignment. Clearly, this separates the Speed of the vehicle being trailed from the Lane in which that vehicle is traveling. Those are two entirely different things where one is not linked to the other unless or until the vehicle being trailed reduces speed below the maximum speed limit and to the point where it becomes an impedance to traffic.

Until such time, whether far right lane or far left lane, a vehicle at the Maximum Limit cannot possibly be a legal impedance. And, the calculus here is even more straight forward because at no time does Vehicle Code permit the continuation of Speeds in excess of the Maximum Limit in any Lane (again in most jurisdiction I'm familiar with), without it becoming an infraction worthy of alternating red, white and blue lights reflecting in that driver's rear view mirror. If it is not enforceable, then it cannot be part of the Vehicle Code. Therefore, Maximum Limit means Maximum Limit without regard for Lane position.

and weave lane to lane through traffic is the root of most road rage and tailgating. Lets get to the real problem. The one that never gets pulled over or even mentioned. The lane hog.

We've just covered why the theme "Lane Hog" does not exist in the code. What we have not covered is the concept of "Duty To Know." Every driver has a duty to know the code. If the vehicle being trailed is reasonably at the Maximum Limit and in the most extreme lane to the left, there is no passing lane condition available and any behavior associated with trailing vehicles that cause road rage as a result of that fact are indeed at fault for such "rage." I think this beings to separate the mature Adults on the road from the Adults who just never grew up before claiming the road as their private runway.

There have to be governing and controlling rules. Else, there will be chaos. The government posted signs that read: "Slower Traffic Keep Right" have unanimously been misconstrued by those who don't know the code, as a 'Right' of continuous speeds in excess of the Maximum Limit - which is both illogical and illegal (again, all my remarks are for jurisdictions for which I am familiar). If the vehicle being trailed is substantially below the Maximum Limit and occupying the most extreme lane to the left, then a case can be made that such a vehicle inhibits the "efficient flow of traffic" (as worded in many vehicle statues) and subject to red, white and blue flashing lights in its rear view mirror. But, if that same vehicle is at the Maximum Limit, there is no infraction. Furthermore, anyone that passes said vehicle in any lane by definition must be doing so in excess of that limit - making themselves subject to a rear view light show.

How many times have you gone 50 on the freeway for miles behind some idiot who paces a semi truck while checking their facebook?

If that idiot does so with a lane to his or her left, the entire point would be moot as now a genuine "Passing Lane" exists - all tucked nicely under the Code. No harm. No foul. And, besides, it gives a really good excuse to use the CX-9 turbo charger. I (especially) love speed. I speed all the time and I violate the vehicle code when doing so. However, what we are talking about here is life threatening behavior as opposed to non-life threatening behavior while driving. Taking to the mountains or the coast where no other vehicle exists for a country mile (literally) in front or behind you and exercising your Turbo Charger may indeed be a violation, no doubt. Taking to the road where you can't squeeze a yard between vehicles and then proceeding to ram the nose of yours up the rear-end of another at 65 mph (or any speed for that matter) is where the true idiot lives. That kind of behavior is dangerous to all involved.

I've never seen a Canyon Carver engage in road rage with a squirrel crossing the road carrying a nut back to his habitat. Of course, having said that, such a sight would be incredibly funny to watch unfold - as the squirrel pulls the canyon carver over in the mountains an proceeds to give the driver a piece of his mind - no matter how small that piece may be.
wink.gif

You've been a good sport. Nice chatting with you!

...i have also seen cars tailgate each other at 90mph or more and both in the outside lane when the inside is clear so lane hogging is not the issue in this case...

Precisely. That stuff belongs here:

Not here:

It is actually a traffic offence to tailgate in the UK but unfortunately due to the poor state of public finances there are less police around to enforce it.

Interesting how governments around the world can tax us to death and yet, never seem to have enough funds to truly make is "more safe." I think they are stealing from us, but that's another thread entirely. I once asked a highway patrol officer why tailgating was not more aggressively challenged in my state. He smiled and simply said: "We just don't have enough officers to deal with it, honestly." An exact quote - word for word.

Absolutely, hilarious!

On a follow-up note, you can't hep but get the distinct feeling that People Who Don't Tailgate are responsible for hand holding People Who Chronically Tailgate:

"Just get out of their way." Why? Because the Tailgater owns the road and makes monthly payments with interest to prove it, right? Again, another example of mature adults having to tolerate, deal with and coddle immature adults. We've adopted the "solution" of "just get out of their way." As if that's a real solution. Why not make Chronic Tailgating a Criminal Act? Just publishing the new law (making it widely known by using local news outlet programming) would cut tailgating down by at least 50%, I would venture to guess - maybe even higher. Then law enforcement would have few numbers of stubborn cases to enforce. Solves two problems with one stone.

After a short period of time, seeing Chronic Tailgaters being criminally prosecuted and going to jail (literally) for their crimes would place a chilling effect on Proximity Driving Habits. This would further reduce the number of cases that law enforcement would have to work on the road - making them more effective in doing their jobs.

This needs to be elevated from Civil to Criminal.

Back