2018 CX5 vs 2018 Honda CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
I am torn between the 2018 Mazda CX5 and the 2018 Honda CRV. I own a 2016 CX5 but I am selling it. I love Mazda but the 2018 CRV has really upped the game and even Motor Trend gave it the CRV of the year award, beating out the CX5.

The CX5 looks better , but the CRV is faster, has more interior room, gets better MPG, has better Infotainment system, and Honda does have a better long-term reliability than Mazda. Not that Mazda is bad but Honda is a little better.

I will be doing a lease deal and so far the lease deals are coming in identical to the CX5 (AWD) and the CRV (AWD). Around $390 per month for 3 years.

I know this is a Mazda forum but which is the better CUV?

I am torn between the 2018 Mazda CX5 and the 2018 Honda CRV. I own a 2016 CX5 but I am selling it. I love Mazda but the 2018 CRV has really upped the game and even Motor Trend gave it the CRV of the year award, beating out the CX5.

The CX5 looks better , but the CRV is faster, has more interior room, gets better MPG, has better Infotainment system, and Honda does have a better long-term reliability than Mazda. Not that Mazda is bad but Honda is a little better.

I will be doing a lease deal and so far the lease deals are coming in identical to the CX5 (AWD) and the CRV (AWD). Around $390 per month for 3 years.

I know this is a Mazda forum but which is the better CUV?

well, it seems like the CR-V is an overall better buy, the the CVT transmission is a huge letdown for me and don't forget that it will hurt long-term reliability.

the turbo engine is good, but I still choose Mazda NA 2.5L overall, especially when paired to their very good 6 speed auto.

also, I think the CR-V looks absolutely hideous to the toned and chiseled looking CX-5.

so my opinion? it's a toss up. drive both of them thoroughly and then take it from there.

Tough choice man. Why are you selling your 16 first of all? Knowing those reasons but help with the decision. Biggest issue I have with the CRV is the styling inside, specifically the whole center stack with the infotainment system is absolutely atrocious looking. Looks so much like a mini van. It's a shame because the 18 Accord interior looks nice and almost mazda like. Too bad honda didn't go that route for the crv. Other than that, I don't really have any problems with the crv. But again, why are you selling your 16?

Tough choice man. Why are you selling your 16 first of all? Knowing those reasons but help with the decision. Biggest issue I have with the CRV is the styling inside, specifically the whole center stack with the infotainment system is absolutely atrocious looking. Looks so much like a mini van. It's a shame because the 18 Accord interior looks nice and almost mazda like. Too bad honda didn't go that route for the crv. Other than that, I don't really have any problems with the crv. But again, why are you selling your 16?

The 2016 is paid off and I am selling it because I will be using the 2018 as a business lease vehicle and I can get the equity out of the 2016 before it depreciates more.

I agree, the CRV is not that great looking and is ugly compared to the CX5. Mazda is a nice looking vehicle while the Honda is not.

well, it seems like the CR-V is an overall better buy, the the CVT transmission is a huge letdown for me and don't forget that it will hurt long-term reliability.

What does the CVT transmission hurt long-term reliability?

What does the CVT transmission hurt long-term reliability?

Not applicable for lease deal 3-5 years CRV should just run on oil changes and nothing more. Long term reliability is again not known on these new CVTs.
On mpg - Mazda real world mpg is similar to Toyota reliability - in one word stellar. CRV is a small turbo with true city driving netting 22 mpg or so. Depends on your foot and driving style. If you are relaxed and gentle on pedal CRV should do decent. If you are hard on it - no chance. OTOH 2017 real world eco. for CX5 has dropped too.

One other feedback on CRV - on grades, it feels gutless. Try to check it out, infact some reviews say the 4 banger on grades does better than turbo.

Big part of reliability issues with Mazda is the Infotainment system.
However, these are just minor inconveniences. You can always soft-reset it while driving.
I run into that about once a month. Usually related to phone/BT connection. If it got stuck, the rest of bootup got stuck. (like NAVI)

Anyway, to me: CRV is ugly. CVT is a big NO to me.
Other than those, CRV is a good choice.

On the other hand, I bet CX5 is quieter. You should take testdrives on both before you decide on one.
I have owned many Honda/Acura. Not a hater.

Last edited:
My wife has 17' CRV, I don't drive it much but so far we have no issues. It is roomier than cx5. Performance wise it has decent acceleration, I don't feel it's slow in any regular driving situation. Handles well, it has quick steering so it is very maneuverable in tight spaces. CVT takes little time to get used to feel of it but it is very smooth. You won't go wrong with either choice i think, cx5 is overall better looking, has a bit higher quality interior, quiter.

Meh, it is below 30 grand car. Just choose whichever suits you best.

We have 2 CX-5s as both wife and I really like how 2013-16 look. Must admit that 2018 CR-V looks great and it is worth consideration for sure.

If I were looking for one now, I'd consider noise levels first.

Depends on what you care about I suppose.

Either vehicle will be fine over a 3 year lease. You don't really have to worry about long-term things. I think you'd be served fine by either.

So it essentially comes down to if one has features you care highly about over the other. For the driving feel, I'd take the CX-5 any day of the week.

My personal opinion on the CR-V is that its ugly, the dash and infotainment system far too busy, and my last vehicle that had wood trim in it was a 1998 Grand Cherokee. And I am just not a fan of CVT's. That's just me, again, it depends on what you are actually looking to get out of it. I on the other hand love my CX-5 because it just feels "right" driving it.

Either way, you'll be served fine. Different strokes for different folks. Comes down to what you want out of it.

If your top reason for picking the CR-V over the CX-5 is because "its faster" you've already lost imo but yes its a good bit roomier- on that note what about the CX-9?

CRV is a small turbo with true city driving netting 22 mpg or so. Depends on your foot and driving style. If you are relaxed and gentle on pedal CRV should do decent. If you are hard on it - no chance. OTOH 2017 real world eco. for CX5 has dropped too.

One other feedback on CRV - on grades, it feels gutless. Try to check it out, infact some reviews say the 4 banger on grades does better than turbo.

My friend has a 2018 CRV and I've seen it with my own eyes, he nets 32MPG on the highway while doing 80MPH. So it's not that bad.

2018 Honda CRV
0-60mph = 7.9 sec
1/4 mile = 15.8 @ 88mph
Lateral = 0.79
Cargo = 75.8
Towing = 1,500 lbs

2018 Mazda CX5
0-60mph = 8.1 sec
1/4 mile = 16.3 @ 85mph
Lateral = 0.82
Cargo = 59.6
Towing = 2,000 lbs

No doubt the CX5 has much less storage than the CRV. It's also a little slower, not by much but still slower. The CX5 does handle better.

Honestly, I like the way the new CRV looks (except for the wheels) and Honda has lots of neat features that are nice. The rear cover and the front space for things is really well done. The 1.5T is also an amazing engine that really works in this car (and in the Civic hatch). The car also feels much roomier in the rear.

But the handling still seems a step behind the Mazda. There is no joy in driving it. It actually may be faster and have better cornering numbers but I still don't think it drove well. Actually, it drove just like my old Honda CR-V. It is also a lot louder than the Mazda and gets buzzy at higher speeds.

Overall, I think if you need the space and don't mind the noise, the CR-V would be nice. If you want a smaller, tighter package with more emphasis on driving, get the CX-5. Honestly, if you are leasing, the Honda is probably the better deal.

How much faster is the 2018 CRV over the 2018 CX-5?

Buying a car is all about ticking off the boxes that are important to you. In my case, I want a car that is fun to drive, looks good and has nice tech. Between the CRV and CX-5, that is the CX-5.

My friend has a 2018 CRV and I've seen it with my own eyes, he nets 32MPG on the highway while doing 80MPH. So it's not that bad.

80 mph was 24 mpg as per the tropical Honda fanboy on his own Honda Forums. But as per most Hfanboys their engine takes 30K miles to break in - so maybe your friend has BROKEN in. lol.
Other aspect of turbo + CVT is what I call "waking up lag", in CX5 if road clears up I am on to 60 from 40, CRV in the mean time is probably 50. Note this is different than just accelerating to 60. Its the response of NA that feels natural.

The difference is almost nonexistent. Dont forget that every single car that the journalists test will perform slightly different in acceleration tests (depending on condition of engine/transmission, whether the drivetrain is fully broken in or not, etc.) and either way that has absolutely zero bearing on the needs of your average crossover buyer. Whats truly important is how much torque the engine makes, at what RPM, the throttle response and whether or not the transmission is properly tuned to take advantage of this torque, and this is where the Mazda is better due to its short first gear and torquey large displacement 4 cylinder. The Honda will feel more sluggish because the turbo needs time to spool and CVTs are naturally lazy during acceleration from a stop.

To answer your question, CVTs are some of the least reliable transmission choices due to their inherit design but that isnt an issue with a lease youre going to get rid of eventually anyways.

Wait a lease?

I get a VW Tiguan in a heart beat.

Purchaseing?

I get a VW Tiguan and a heart attack from post warranty repairs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back