2018 CX-9 Touring on 20" Wheels

ronkayes

:
CX-9
As a part of Touring to GT conversion, I upgraded the factory 18" to the 20" wheels. The wheels are Konig Interforms with Pirelli Scorpion tires. I chose to stick with the manufacturer recommended sizes as I didn't want to recalibrate my speedometer. The wheel paint and the specs very closely match the machine grey paint - that's one of the reasons why I went with these wheels. I put the hub centric rings to keep the wheels centered. The ride feels same as the my OEM 18" wheels with Yokohama tires so far. I think it looks better without the rocker panel / door chrome trims - what do you think? I started noticing the European SUVs and most of them didn't have any side chrome trim and they looked just fine.

Konig Wheel Specs:
Konig INTERFORM Graphite Wheel with Machined Face 20x9.5"/5x114.3mm, +40mm offset

Factory 20" Wheel Specs:
20x8.5"/5x114.3, +45 offset

Tires - OEM Specs: I went with the OEM specs.
Pirelli Scorpion 255/50R20

20180131_080847-01_1.jpg

20180131_165057-01.jpg

20180131_171211-02.jpg

Factory 20" wheels for comparison - Not my CX-9:

2016-_Mazda-_CX-9-_Profile.jpg

Last edited:
I think the car looks fine without the rocker panel trim. You can see the difference in the comparison, and fellow CX-9 owners may notice that they aren't there, but nobody else will IMO. These rocker panel trim pieces are hard to install, right?

I think the car looks fine without the rocker panel trim. You can see the difference in the comparison, and fellow CX-9 owners may notice that they aren't there, but nobody else will IMO. These rocker panel trim pieces are hard to install, right?

Thanks for the feedback!
Actually all the trim pieces are PTA to install and are expensive. You are looking at $600 for chrome plated plastic pieces + labor.

Yep, nice open spoke look! Did you remove the rocker panel trims? It sure looks like there is some weatherization around where the strip used to be on my computer screen. I can't really tell.

Yep, nice open spoke look! Did you remove the rocker panel trims? It sure looks like there is some weatherization around where the strip used to be on my computer screen. I can't really tell.

Sorry the last photo is not mine. My touring trim never had them in the first place. I was merely contemplating if I should get them or not depending on the overall looks in combination with the new wheels.

Thanks! It looks more European now :)
Were you able get the OEM 20"s at a decent price? Retail was too much.

Haven't purchased yet. Waiting until June since I'm closing on a house in March.

Cheapest I've found has been online at MazdaSwag. Almost 2g's. Hopefully I can find a used set by then!

Sorry the last photo is not mine. My touring trim never had them in the first place. I was merely contemplating if I should get them or not depending on the overall looks in combination with the new wheels.

I think that the wheels would look great with that side piece rocker panels installed.

Sorry, I know i'm a little late to the party but I was wondering...did your Touring come with the chrome pieces on the front bumper/lip or did you install that? If you installed it, would you mind sharing a link to where you bought them? Thanks.

The Wheels look great...i'm looking at upgrading to 20's as well. the 18's don't look too great on such a large vehicle.

nice rim choice. I think I would have gotten a slightly thicker sidewall though, or just lower the car... that would look fantastic especially if you tinted the front windows to match the rears.

Sorry, I know i'm a little late to the party but I was wondering...did your Touring come with the chrome pieces on the front bumper/lip or did you install that? If you installed it, would you mind sharing a link to where you bought them? Thanks.

The Wheels look great...i'm looking at upgrading to 20's as well. the 18's don't look too great on such a large vehicle.

Check mazdaswag.com, it's where I found them to be the cheapest.

You'll have to tell them even though it doesn't match the car, you ordered the correct piece. There's another post in this section about the part numbers and everything.

Check mazdaswag.com, it's where I found them to be the cheapest.

You'll have to tell them even though it doesn't match the car, you ordered the correct piece. There's another post in this section about the part numbers and everything.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Hi! Any issues from Mazda regarding "upgrading" from 18" to 20" wheels? eg: warranties etc.? Thanks!

Hi! Any issues from Mazda regarding "upgrading" from 18" to 20" wheels? eg: warranties etc.? Thanks!

Should be no issues as long as you get a shop to swap the wheels/tires on, and they are within the OEM 20" wheel spec found on the GT and Signature trims. Talk to your dealer to confirm.

No issues at all.

Should be no issues as long as you get a shop to swap the wheels/tires on, and they are within the OEM 20" wheel spec found on the GT and Signature trims. Talk to your dealer to confirm.

Yes, I did talk to my dealers service dept... NO ISSUE AT ALL.

THANKS!

I went from the 20 to 18 for a smother ride. 20s definitely look better but I do like the ride better now. I get an F for reading online that the cx9 doesnt use tire pressure sensors. Guess I am going to be riding with the light on for a while. Lol. Dang it

Back