Mazda Mobile Start + Dealer Drama regarding subscription fee

I do understand some of those pointing out the dealer lack of responsibility, however I feel that given the situation and circumstance there was some negligence. My wife simply asked if the cx5 had remote start from the factory and the young (and I assume new) salesman said "Yes we have a new MMS mobile starting system that costs $xxx.xx installed. You can use your phone to start your car! Should we add this accessory". There was no info or marketing literature (which obviously does list the subscription fee) ever handed to us until a week later after it was installed. It seems likes pretty vital info to mention the subscription fee. I would even take the blame if I had been handed literature about the system the day I purchased and I simply didn't read the info. However that never happened and it was never verbally communicated. If I had said "I want the MMS remote start system" then yes, I agree, that since I initiated the purchase of that accessory it shows a level of research and the salesman could assume I knew about the subscription fee (although he still should communicate that info and probably be trained to do so).

This consumer issue came on top of 2 other ones I've faced this month (the Mazda one if the most benign out of them by far though) so I am admit to already being irritated. Thanks for the feedback, it's good to see a new perspective and I'll keep on trying to come to an agreement somewhere in the middle. It's very unfortunate that it sounds like the MMS system might have a one VIN use. If the dealer could simply remove and use on the next customer than I am sure they'd be willing to work with us more.

Again, I know this is not what you want to hear but legally it is your responsibility to know what you are buying. Full stop. The only way you would have a case is if the sales person said explicitly that there are no other charges but there were. And most likely it would have been nice to have that in writing.

I'm not sure that the dealership was being shady by not explaining that to you. It honestly just sounds like you made a honest mistake while researching this, and missed the part about the monthly fee. The price averages out to about $5.42 per month, which is comparable to other, low data, cellular devices. You can try making a big fuss about it, but you probably won't win.
Based on your original post, it sounds like you are the one who went to the dealership, and asked them to install this. It's not like they tried selling it to you when you purchased. That would be like me buying an iPhone from Apple, then complaining later that they never told me I had to pay a monthly service fee. It's kinda just assumed that you know that already. Don't get me wrong, your frustration is 100% justifiable, and it's a mistake anyone could have made, I just wouldn't place any blame on the dealership.

Again, I know this is not what you want to hear but legally it is your responsibility to know what you are buying. Full stop. The only way you would have a case is if the sales person said explicitly that there are no other charges but there were. And most likely it would have been nice to have that in writing.

That's simply not true dougal, if the dealer misrepresented what they are selling, they are responsible.

I'm not sure that the dealership was being shady by not explaining that to you. It honestly just sounds like you made a honest mistake while researching this, and missed the part about the monthly fee. The price averages out to about $5.42 per month, which is comparable to other, low data, cellular devices. You can try making a big fuss about it, but you probably won't win.
Based on your original post, it sounds like you are the one who went to the dealership, and asked them to install this. It's not like they tried selling it to you when you purchased. That would be like me buying an iPhone from Apple, then complaining later that they never told me I had to pay a monthly service fee. It's kinda just assumed that you know that already. Don't get me wrong, your frustration is 100% justifiable, and it's a mistake anyone could have made, I just wouldn't place any blame on the dealership.

Or its like being offered TPMS for new wheels and then being told after they are installed that there is a required monthly subscription fee. That would be unacceptable if the customer weren't informed in advance.

Or its like being offered TPMS for new wheels and then being told after they are installed that there is a required monthly subscription fee. That would be unacceptable if the customer weren't informed in advance.

I don’t agree with the analogy. Remote start is a convenience accessory. In this case it is called mobile start and uses an app and internet connection. And no TPMS requires a subscription. But mobile start and other mobile apps (onstar, lexus, etc) have required subscriptions for years.

A better analogy is if you have an XM Radio installed and are then surprised by the subscription fee.

Last edited:
That's simply not true dougal, if the dealer misrepresented what they are selling, they are responsible.

How are you defining misrepresentation? The lack of disclosure of a yearly fee at a later date is not misrepresentation.

I simply don't think there's any excuse to not mention the fee. Period. I did research it, I knew there was a fee. I asked about remote start and was told my options and the fee was mentioned.

How are you defining misrepresentation? The lack of disclosure of a yearly fee at a later date is not misrepresentation.

I agree. I bought a chevy sonic and it came with onstar, remote start and remote diagnostics. All have fees. The dealer only mentioned the fee for onstar. The app mentions the fees for remote star after first year free, and so does the web site.

The omission by the dealer was not a misrepresentation.

In this thread if the op facts are correct (i have no reason not to believe him) and the dealer and mazda want to keep a customer happy they should work towards a resolution. But my persoan belief is that the dealer did nothing intentional or legally wrong.

OP - this is what I would do: customerexperience@mazdausa.com Email reads: I have no more any need for MMS. What are my options? I am being told by dealer once installed even if its removed its effectively a paper weight. I find that hard to believe. I want to remove it and re-sell it at my own risk. How or what I need to do to de-register it from my VIN?

OP - this is what I would do: customerexperience@mazdausa.com Email reads: I have no more any need for MMS. What are my options? I am being told by dealer once installed even if its removed its effectively a paper weight. I find that hard to believe. I want to remove it and re-sell it at my own risk. How or what I need to do to de-register it from my VIN?

Thanks for that contact, I will try that route and see if Mazda USA can give me a better answer about the MMS being one-time use. This is the crux of the issue because if it can be de-registered I would be fine with removing it myself and selling it on eBay (or better yet, having the dealer remove it and give me a refund and i'll go aftermarket). From a purely legal standpoint I might end up being responsible, but ethically it is terrible practice on the dealer's end.

Regardless of this dealer experience, the CX5 is a pretty amazing vehicle. Now that we're a few weeks into ownership I am so happy with my decision. It has wonderful dynamics for a crossover and it stands out in the "sea-of Subarus" out here in Colorado.

Thanks to you all! This thread validated my decision to schedule a visit to Best Buy to install a Viper remote starter in my 2018 CX-5. $330 with everything, including installation, but they did incorporate some weird Geek Squad service program into it. My other car is a Cadillac CTS with OnStar and remote start through them and the keyfob. Software works with Face ID so it is really quick and smooth, but as mentioned, costs an annual fee. Keyfob is go for distance but the Viper fob is over half a mile so that should be good enough for the wife. Thanks again for everyones advice!

had the MMS system installed on my mazda3...after a few uses, it was VERY finicky, complained to the service advisor, he promptly removed it and refunded my money, but of course not a full refund, i believe they did charge labor..but hey still got majority of my money back!
From this experience i also learned i will NOT go with another MMS, I will go aftermarket Compustar, which allows you to use the OEM keyfob to start the car, AND has secure takeover so your car will not shut off when door is opened to get in. What I also realized, Nissan's remote starter is way better integrated, OEM keyfob is used to start the car and engine also does not turn off upon opening door.

Back