Mazda Mobile Start + Dealer Drama regarding subscription fee

Alext918

:
Hello all,

My name is Alex and I am a new member to this forum, though i've been a member on some other Mazda forums when I owned a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 in my younger days. I am trying to elicit some feedback on an issue Im having regarding my Mazda dealer and my newly purchased 2017 CX5 and the MMS remote start app system.

Here's the quick summary:

I purchased a new 2017 Mazda CX5 GT from Bob Penkhus Mazda in Colorado Springs. Now they're the only Mazda dealer in this city but my uncle purchased a Speed6 from them years ago and recommended them. I decided to add the Mazda MMS remote start system rather than go aftermarket as I'd had issues with a Viper system in the past. The salesman simply said that the MMS would cost $650 installed and I accepted and went on my merry way. I dropped the car off a week later and the system was installed. My issue arose when I got home that night and tried to activate the system. It was at the moment (on the Mazda activation site) that I first heard about the $65/year subscription fee. It was never mentioned by my salesman or any other dealer employee and I never received any paperwork/documents notifying me of this. Had I know this vitally pertinent information I would have surely went with a regular key fob or aftermarket system. I generally will always be starting my vehicle to warm up in the morning from my house, so the "line-of-sight" regular key fob would work just fine. I just figured since the MMS system was essentially the same cost as the regular key-fob that I'd take advantage of the phone app starter capabilities.

Now I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time (10-15 years MINIMUM), so the idea of paying $65/year for that long ($650-$975) is a big consideration that I was never given the opportunity to ponder. Furthermore, who knows if Mazda can raise the rates down the road, or even stop the service if it isn't selling in high volume (and I saw on this forum that there are generally poor reviews of MMS and that Mazda has never updated it in its 2 years since inception, but that is beside the point).

So I called my salesman at Bob Penkhus and after a run-around the final answer I received was the following. The first offer is to pay for 2 years ($130, and the 1st year is already free). The other option (the one I prefer) is removal of the system. At first they wanted me to pay labor for them to remove the system which is crazy, but they then said they would remove it for free but that I WOULDN'T BE RETURNED THE $650 for the original MMS system!!! This is totally asinine to me, and to compound the problem they say that since the VIN has been used once for this system that they can't even install the traditional OEM key-fob starter ever (maybe I can do an aftermarket unit still, but I'd need to research this).

So I am asking for other member's opinions on this issue. If you did purchase the MMS system, was that fee clearly stated ahead of your purchase? Were you ever given any marketing literature or pamphlet that explained this subscription fee? Any info on similar experiences or advise is appreciated.

On a quick final note, I have owned a small business for many years and have had many instances where I had to bite the bullet b/c of an error on my part or my employees. However, this dealer does not seem to want to accept their fault in this matter. As far as i'm concerned this situation parallels "false-advertising" or at least a gross lack of communication. I am hoping other member's feedback will act as a sanity check and verify that I am not in the wrong on this.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Sounds like a call to Mazda HQ is needed. That just doesn't sound right from a systems point of view at all. As well from a customer experience point of view, it's just wrong.

Sounds like a call to Mazda HQ is needed. That just doesn't sound right from a systems point of view at all. As well from a customer experience point of view, it's just wrong.

Agreed. Escalate.
They will say you should have known, should have researched.
Persist.

Yes you can absolutely add aftermarket starters. I can't even comprehend not giving you the money back.

I agree, they should have, at the least, let you know there would be additional fees to use the app. I have thought about getting that feature for my wife, and during my research I never came across anything that mentioned yearly fees in addition to the installation. I would file a complaint with the BBB if contacting Mazda doesn't get you anywhere.

On a side note, my Genesis comes with the remote start app. However, I have to pay $198 per year to use it. Hope that makes you feel a little better...

⋯ they say that since the VIN has been used once for this system that they can't even install the traditional OEM key-fob starter ever (maybe I can do an aftermarket unit still, but I'd need to research this).
Like others have said, you should call Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations and explain your situation.

But dont ever think of getting a traditional key fob Mazda OEM Remote Engine Start system instead. This is not a joke that the "new-and-improved" Remote Engine Start system from Mazda genuine accessary has a separate key fob with telescopic antenna!

Aftermarket is the only way to have a sensible remote start system on your new CX-5 using your original key fob and the engine wont stop when you open the driver door!

Here's why they didn't show the picture - they know no one would want it! It's
new for 2017 as a "fix" due to customers complaints that the old one (that is stylish at least) didn't reach far enough :
DSC_0208.jpg
The one you posted is for the 2014 CX5 if you go back up to the heading, you can see 2014 is highlighted. THAT is a remote I could live with as it matched the OEM key. What I got is a joke. Here's photo of it with my OEM keys:
DSC_0209.jpg

10-20 years ago I would have said "I'm calling my lawyer".

Today it might be more advantageous to say "I just downloaded the Yelp app".

I am not really surprised at dealer's response. The fact that the dealer agreed to take it out is out of the ordinary. In almost 95% cases the dealership will flatly refuse. Its an accessory, once installed - its installed.
Your biggest point was why the dealership did not tell you about the subscription fees. To be frank here - the owner manual states it, I am sure documentation you received with the MMS system states it too. There's not 1 mobile start system that does NOT charge a subscription fees except when added to base price of certain cars - Jeep G/Cherokee for instance and that too for few years only. You should not have done some research/homework before jumping to MMS system.
The dealer decided to take out the system but can not refund to you the $650. That is correct. There's another thread here where a person decided to no more go with the subscription and then pulled the system out. When he tried to de-register it (by VIN) it was not possible. Once activated its permanent, supposedly.
Your options are - as indicated above:
1. reach out to customer help-line and perhaps they can force dealership to refund you the money and take the MMS system away.
2. if they can de-register the MMS system from the VIN. Then ask dealer to refund you everything as its de-registered. However, I still feel you'll need to pay for the labor - install/de-install.
3. De-register the VIN, take out the system - sell it off on eBay.
4. Do #3 after 1 year since 1st. year is free.

I agree, they should have, at the least, let you know there would be additional fees to use the app. I have thought about getting that feature for my wife, and during my research I never came across anything that mentioned yearly fees in addition to the installation. I would file a complaint with the BBB if contacting Mazda doesn't get you anywhere.

On a side note, my Genesis comes with the remote start app. However, I have to pay $198 per year to use it. Hope that makes you feel a little better...

See this: https://www.mazdamobilestart.com/overview/pricing.jsp

I am of mixed feelings on this. The Mazda page clearly says a 1 yr. subscription is included (CX-5 remote start accessory) https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/cx-5/accessories

Is the dealer responsible to reaffirm that? I liken this to other accessory features - should the dealer know that some add on silver trim pieces are plastic and not metal? That the roof rails have a weight limit of 100 lbs or so?

For me, I am against anything with a subscription, and just about every remote app has a fee, so I expected a subscription fee as soon as I saw the picture and name "mobile start" and not remote start.

As for remedy though, the dealer should remove it and refund your money. Mazda should support them in this and make sure they try to avoid this information in the future.

And Alex, why would you tell us your full name? You shouldn't do that.

You bought something. It is your responsibility as a buyer to know what you are buying. Not the sellers duty to inform you of all the details. That is the basis of the free market economy is America. Never heard the term buyer beware?

You bought something. It is your responsibility as a buyer to know what you are buying. Not the sellers duty to inform you of all the details. That is the basis of the free market economy is America. Never heard the term buyer beware?

I think if the dealer had misled, then there is responsibility on the dealer. But if a buyer simply walks in and says "I want the mobile start option installed, when can you do it and how much", if the dealer neglects to say there is a subscription fee, that should not be the fault of the dealer.

Well, when I was buying mine, the dealer clearer stated to me to get the remote starter with the key FOB over the mobile start because it has a yearly subscription fee and it is not good as you think it is. The blame can go for both parties since it is the buyers responsibility to know what you are buying and the dealer to let them know any other fees (hidden) aside from the price of the unit and installation.

I think it is pretty hard to justify having to uninstall the system and paying the customer back for something that the dealership is not entirely at fault for. I think having the dealership pay for 2 years is a good compromise.

Good point 7eregrine, I copied the bulk of this message from an email to a friend's lawyer to get his opinion but I should've caught that...

Well, when I was buying mine, the dealer clearer stated to me to get the remote starter with the key FOB over the mobile start because it has a yearly subscription fee and it is not good as you think it is. The blame can go for both parties since it is the buyers responsibility to know what you are buying and the dealer to let them know any other fees (hidden) aside from the price of the unit and installation.

I guess I would like to know where the fee is hidden. Everywhere i read anything about the Mazda Mobile start, it says "one year subscription included".

I guess I am always used to looking for the fine print. And anything that is phone, internet or remotely controlled i look for the cost. My daughters Sonic has OnStar, Wifi Hotspot and XM radio. All have costs, and I avoid all 3. I am not sure who pays for all these monthly costs, maybe that is why I have money in the bank when many others don't.

I agree with the OP - I would not want something like this that has a subscription fee, but I don't see that it is hidden anywhere.

I do understand some of those pointing out the dealer lack of responsibility, however I feel that given the situation and circumstance there was some negligence. My wife simply asked if the cx5 had remote start from the factory and the young (and I assume new) salesman said "Yes we have a new MMS mobile starting system that costs $xxx.xx installed. You can use your phone to start your car! Should we add this accessory". There was no info or marketing literature (which obviously does list the subscription fee) ever handed to us until a week later after it was installed. It seems likes pretty vital info to mention the subscription fee. I would even take the blame if I had been handed literature about the system the day I purchased and I simply didn't read the info. However that never happened and it was never verbally communicated. If I had said "I want the MMS remote start system" then yes, I agree, that since I initiated the purchase of that accessory it shows a level of research and the salesman could assume I knew about the subscription fee (although he still should communicate that info and probably be trained to do so).

This consumer issue came on top of 2 other ones I've faced this month (the Mazda one if the most benign out of them by far though) so I am admit to already being irritated. Thanks for the feedback, it's good to see a new perspective and I'll keep on trying to come to an agreement somewhere in the middle. It's very unfortunate that it sounds like the MMS system might have a one VIN use. If the dealer could simply remove and use on the next customer than I am sure they'd be willing to work with us more.

I do understand some of those pointing out the dealer lack of responsibility, however I feel that given the situation and circumstance there was some negligence. My wife simply asked if the cx5 had remote start from the factory and the young (and I assume new) salesman said "Yes we have a new MMS mobile starting system that costs $xxx.xx installed. You can use your phone to start your car! Should we add this accessory". There was no info or marketing literature (which obviously does list the subscription fee) ever handed to us until a week later after it was installed. It seems likes pretty vital info to mention the subscription fee. I would even take the blame if I had been handed literature about the system the day I purchased and I simply didn't read the info. However that never happened and it was never verbally communicated. If I had said "I want the MMS remote start system" then yes, I agree, that since I initiated the purchase of that accessory it shows a level of research and the salesman could assume I knew about the subscription fee (although he still should communicate that info and probably be trained to do so).

This consumer issue came on top of 2 other ones I've faced this month (the Mazda one if the most benign out of them by far though) so I am admit to already being irritated. Thanks for the feedback, it's good to see a new perspective and I'll keep on trying to come to an agreement somewhere in the middle. It's very unfortunate that it sounds like the MMS system might have a one VIN use. If the dealer could simply remove and use on the next customer than I am sure they'd be willing to work with us more.

That is why it is hard to give advice... you or your wife were the ones interacting with the dealer, not any of us. And so i agree that with what you describe it could be the dealer has responsibility. From a sales perspective (happy customer) they should ask "are you aware there is a fee" if you know nothing about the accessory they are describing.

It's very unfortunate that it sounds like the MMS system might have a one VIN use. If the dealer could simply remove and use on the next customer than I am sure they'd be willing to work with us more.

That sounds like BS to me. Perhaps code based on marketing considerations.

Back