BF Goodrich tires for my CX-5

:
Miata and CX-5
In 2015 I bought my 2016 CX-5 new from a dealer with the stock Toyo A23 tires.
Unfortunately, one of those tires caught a screw in the sidewall so I replaced all 4 with America's Tire Yokohama 580's, which served me well for about 25,000 miles.
I recently started looking for some USA made tires for the CX-5 wheels, a 225-55-19 tire size. In that size,Continental True Contact and BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT were the two available choices and I purchased the BF Goodrich tires. So far so good; I really like the looks of the tires , their handling performance, and freeway comfort.

Yeah it’s never fun to see a nail stuck near the sidewall! And your next Yokohama YK580™ was a Discount Tire special and is no longer available. I think I know why now as yours lasted only 25,000 miles although the UTQG says “580 A A”! BTW, for some reason Discount Tire has to use different name, American Tire, in California, and heard the SoCal American Tire is no longer part of Discount Tire ownership.

BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT is a brand new tire and people seem to like its looks including you. I’m glad you like the tire so far and hope it can serve you well for at least 60,000 miles based on its UTQG “700 B A” rating.

But honestly when I checked its specs, and this’s for those who don’t have preference on which tire they want next, I wouldn’t select this tire as my top choice for replacement. The traction part of UTQG is only a “B” whereas most others are “A”; it weights on the heavy side at 30 lbs and others can weight as light as 24.4 lbs; the maximum inflation pressure is rated on low side at 44 psi but others are 51 psi. And most 225/55R19 tires for CX-5 GT are US made including my favorite General AltiMAX™ RT43. You can always specify any tire brand at Discount Tire or American Tire, they’ll order it for you and have it ready within a day in most cases. Don’t get stuck with only a couple of choices from their stock like you!

bfg_advantage_ta_spt_lt_pdpcrop.jpg

If you're not opposed to an alternate tire size with minimal diameter difference (0.3%), check out the Continental DWS 06 in 245/50/19. In that size it is also made in the US. Unfortunately price has gone up a little. It was only $143 when I bought it a few weeks ago, it is at $148 now. Still cheaper than most of the tires for the CX-5 in the standard size though.

Yeah its never fun to see a nail stuck near the sidewall! And your next Yokohama YK580 was a Discount Tire special and is no longer available. I think I know why now as yours lasted only 25,000 miles although the UTQG says 580 A A! BTW, for some reason Discount Tire has to use different name, American Tire, in California, and heard the SoCal American Tire is no longer part of Discount Tire ownership.

BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT is a brand new tire and people seem to like its looks including you. Im glad you like the tire so far and hope it can serve you well for at least 60,000 miles based on its UTQG 700 B A rating.

But honestly when I checked its specs, and thiss for those who dont have preference on which tire they want next, I wouldnt select this tire as my top choice for replacement. The traction part of UTQG is only a B whereas most others are A; it weights on the heavy side at 30 lbs and others can weight as light as 24.4 lbs; the maximum inflation pressure is rated on low side at 44 psi but others are 51 psi. And most 225/55R19 tires for CX-5 GT are US made including my favorite General AltiMAX RT43. You can always specify any tire brand at Discount Tire or American Tire, theyll order it for you and have it ready within a day in most cases. Dont get stuck with only a couple of choices from their stock like you!

Thanks for the reply.
Actually , the Yokohama 580's from America's/Discount Tire were fine, with plenty of remaining tread at 25,000 miles. Regardless, I just like to replace tires at 25-30 K miles. America's/Discount Tire replaced the Yoko 580's (Made in Japan) with a newer model named Yoko 740 (Made in the Phillipines)
Six months ago , for my wife's 2016 CX-5, at 28K miles I replaced her stock Toyo A23's (Made in Japan) with Yokohama Geolander's (Made in the Phillipines).
So , between the two of our CX-5's, we've now had 2 sets of Toyo A23's, one set of Yoko 580's, one set of Yokoa Geo's, and now the BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT's(Made in USA).
The BF's left the shop inflated at 35 PSI. I later inflated them to 37 and enjoy the firmer ride.:)

If you're not opposed to an alternate tire size with minimal diameter difference (0.3%), check out the Continental DWS 06 in 245/50/19. In that size it is also made in the US. Unfortunately price has gone up a little. It was only $143 when I bought it a few weeks ago, it is at $148 now. Still cheaper than most of the tires for the CX-5 in the standard size though.

Installed and out the door I paid $900 for 4 of the BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport 225-55-19 tires.

Thanks for the reply.
Actually , the Yokohama 580's from America's/Discount Tire were fine, with plenty of remaining tread at 25,000 miles. Regardless, I just like to replace tires at 25-30 K miles. America's/Discount Tire replaced the Yoko 580's (Made in Japan) with a newer model named Yoko 740 (Made in the Phillipines)
Six months ago , for my wife's 2016 CX-5, at 28K miles I replaced her stock Toyo A23's (Made in Japan) with Yokohama Geolander's (Made in the Phillipines).
So , between the two of our CX-5's, we've now had 2 sets of Toyo A23's, one set of Yoko 580's, one set of Yokoa Geo's, and now the BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT's(Made in USA).
The BF's left the shop inflated at 35 PSI. I later inflated them to 37 and enjoy the firmer ride.:)
Whoa youve tried so many different 225/55R19 tires?! Did you get any mileage credit from your Yoko YK580s as it comes with 60,000-mile warranty? If your American Tire is willing to do that, that would save you a whole lot of money on your new tires! Most people here put 2~3 more than specified 36 psi on 19 tire, and we definitely wouldnt mind to hear your comments on each set of different tires that youve experienced so far! :)

Installed and out the door I paid $900 for 4 of the BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport 225-55-19 tires.

Actually, a few weeks ago I called America's Tire to special order the Continental True Contact 225/55/19 9 (Made in USA) tires. The employee said he would call me when they arrived but I never heard back from him. So, I decided to shop elsewhere and an independent shop near my home sold me the BF Goodrich tires.
Regarding dealing with America's Tire for a possible "mileage credit" for my Yoko 580's, those tires performed fine so I don't believe I would be entitled to any credit. The only reason I changed tires is because it is my habit to do so at 25-30K miles.
Honestly every tire my wife and I have had on our CX-5's has been a pleasure to drive. The Toyo A23, the Yoko 580's and Yoko Geolander's were all good. The only differences I notice are when I adjust the tire pressure by a couple of pounds. "Noise" and "wet braking performance" are factors I read in tire reviews are nothing I've personally been able to feel or observe.I think the technology and manufacturing processes for the tire industry now are so good that any tire one buys will probably be fine.
Maybe if I drove in snow-ice conditions I would notice a significant difference between tire models and brands, but here in SF it only snows about once every hundred years.

Yeah it’s never fun to see a nail stuck near the sidewall! And your next Yokohama YK580™ was a Discount Tire special and is no longer available. I think I know why now as yours lasted only 25,000 miles although the UTQG says “580 A A”! BTW, for some reason Discount Tire has to use different name, American Tire, in California, and heard the SoCal American Tire is no longer part of Discount Tire ownership.

BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT is a brand new tire and people seem to like its looks including you. I’m glad you like the tire so far and hope it can serve you well for at least 60,000 miles based on its UTQG “700 B A” rating.

But honestly when I checked its specs, and this’s for those who don’t have preference on which tire they want next, I wouldn’t select this tire as my top choice for replacement. The traction part of UTQG is only a “B” whereas most others are “A”; it weights on the heavy side at 30 lbs and others can weight as light as 24.4 lbs; the maximum inflation pressure is rated on low side at 44 psi but others are 51 psi. And most 225/55R19 tires for CX-5 GT are US made including my favorite General AltiMAX™ RT43. You can always specify any tire brand at Discount Tire or American Tire, they’ll order it for you and have it ready within a day in most cases. Don’t get stuck with only a couple of choices from their stock like you!

What is the relevance of "Max PSI" if the vehicle manufacturer always has a recommended PSI which is well below the tire's maximum ?
For example, the CX-5's recommended tire pressure is only 36 PSI.

What is the relevance of "Max PSI" if the vehicle manufacturer always has a recommended PSI which is well below the tire's maximum ?
For example, the CX-5's recommended tire pressure is only 36 PSI.
My take on Maximum Inflation Pressure on each tire started many years ago when American came out with P-Metric tires with a standard of maximum inflation pressure at 35 psi. It was a higher standard as most of tires at the time can only hold 32 psi. Time went by when I saw those tires in another country have maximum inflation pressure at 51 psi and the highest factory recommended pressure closes to 45 with full load for higher driving speed and less rolling resistance in Europe, I realized US P-Metric standard is out of date. Today P-Metric standard at 35 psi simply don’t cut it. 44 psi maximum inflation pressure is out of date too. Even though we rarely see factory recommended tire pressure exceeds 40 psi in the US as we only get one psi for all driving conditions, it’s very common in other regions where the car manufactures give different psi’s for different load and speed. And 40+ psi is not unusual to see and most tires in Europe and Asia now use 51 psi as a standard for maximum inflation pressure. To me if a tire can withhold higher pressure, it has to be made in higher standard, hence a stronger and safer tire than low maximum inflation pressure tire even if you keep the same pressure for both tires.

Actually I misread your post and thought you were still looking to purchase new tires. Had I known you already purchased new tires, I would not have commented on this thread. In any case, that's not a bad deal you got there.

Just to share how I fared. I got my tires from Tirerack and had them ship the tires to my house. The DWS06 tires in 245/50/19 totaled $638 including shipping. Had them mounted, balanced and installed at my Mazda dealership for $90, plus $80 for 4-wheel alignment. Total cost for everything was around $808. Pretty pleased with how that turned out.

I would have gone with the Continental True Contacts, but they weren't in stock and I didn't want to wait anymore, so I went with the DWS06 tires.

Then there was the Car and Driver track top speed test in '79 where Pontiac ran the Trans Am at 60 psi (and won) even though the sidewall likely said 32. Max sidewall pressure is a load rating game, not an indicator of strength. *IF* there is any label that may indicate strength it would be the speed rating. It takes both heat resistance and strength to withstand the centrifugal force generated by the additional RPM needed to achieve 130, 149, 168 or 186 MPH.

Those BFGs look like a good choice. I have never been disappointed in any of the BFGs I have had. They were OEM on my Frontier and I put 2 more sets on it.

Back