SkyActive III-Efficiency Comparable to Battery-Electric Power for CX-5 & other models

:
'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver
SkyActive III Efficiency Comparable To Battery-Electric Power For CX-5 & Other Models

Even though SkyActiv-X (which could be known as SkyActiv II) hasn't even reached the CX-5 yet (circa 2020/2021 is my guess), Mazda are already starting to talk about SkyActiv III:

Mazda claims next-gen engine cleaner than EV

But the Mazda powertrain boss said that viewed holistically, combustion engines can be improved to such a level as to rival the emissions of EVs.

So mid to late 2020's for SkyActiv III on the CX-5 perhaps (uhm)

Last edited:
One important aspect is MZD considers wells to wheels efficiency. So Sky-3 wont have 100 mpg that EVs have but its wells to wheels efficiency would be similar to an EV that uses coal powered plants.
For e.g. EV in California is better than an EV in a state with lots of electricity from natural gas/coal.

In terms of at the pump efficiency Skyactiv X has been tested and fine tuned very well and is expected to roll out in 2019. Sky-3 so far is probably 4 years or more away. MZD would want to milk Sky-X for a bit and might offer both later in 2020's.

I believe a 3 with Sky-X should get 15% more mpg than Sky-G - that is not too terrible but not fantastic - MZD needs mild hybrids, even a 48 volt system with stop n start would do well for now.

(iagree)

They should also make sure that fuel efficiency gains is not at the expense of performance.

Using the EV in California could be viewed as a outlier since California gets quite a bit of its power from other states. They themselves haven’t built much power generation in state as far as I know.

One important aspect is MZD considers wells to wheels efficiency. So Sky-3 wont have 100 mpg that EVs have but its wells to wheels efficiency would be similar to an EV that uses coal powered plants.
For e.g. EV in California is better than an EV in a state with lots of electricity from natural gas/coal.

In terms of at the pump efficiency Skyactiv X has been tested and fine tuned very well and is expected to roll out in 2019. Sky-3 so far is probably 4 years or more away. MZD would want to milk Sky-X for a bit and might offer both later in 2020's.

I believe a 3 with Sky-X should get 15% more mpg than Sky-G - that is not too terrible but not fantastic - MZD needs mild hybrids, even a 48 volt system with stop n start would do well for now.

The link in the other thread mentions the X is mild hybrid. 3rd slide from the end

Last edited:

I think you forgot about the damage and destruction EVs do to our environment. Who cares about 100mpg when all those Tesla batteries are gonna be rotting away in land wastes one day destroying our earth. Let not also forget about all the carbon emissions the EVs produce, shall we? When you look at it from the big picture, gasoline can potentially be less harmful to the environment especially when you got Mazda making these crazy designs. Im predicting the Mazda will be running the internal combustion industry very soon from now on. Even Toyota is too lazy to invest into making their own motors, they would rather put that money into Mazda now that they are finally prospering. I was thinking for a while that hydrogen would be the future of vehicles because that would truly be low emissions, but it really seems like mazda is paving the future these days.

This is exactly why ford invested into Mazda back then. Hell, Mazda was already basically dead, and ford took a major risk investing whatever they had into a dying brand but they did it because they knew Mazda had some of the best engine technology and designs coming out of japan, they just never had the money, production power and marketing efforts to make it happen like ford can. I remember back in the 90s mazda has big plans with a luxury brand called Amati meant to fight the Germans and other Japanese competitors with brilliant V8 and V12 designs but they just didnt have the money to make it happen. the partnership worked out quite well for both brands. Now that mazda finally has the money to do what they want, Tesla and mazdas competition is sitting up and taking notice.

And see What Mazda is doing these days? They are blending economy and luxury into one to not only maximize profits, but snatch away buyers looking for full fledged luxury with the CX-9 signature.

Oh and the best part? In the midst of mazdas new found success, our friend Mango is suspiciously nowhere to be found.

Cheers, everyone

I think you forgot about the damage and destruction EV’s do to our environment. Who cares about 100mpg when all those Tesla batteries are gonna be rotting away in land wastes one day destroying our earth. Let not also forget about all the carbon emissions the EV’s produce, shall we? When you look at it from the big picture, gasoline can potentially be less harmful to the environment especially when you got Mazda making these crazy designs. I’m predicting the Mazda will be running the internal combustion industry very soon from now on. Even Toyota is too lazy to invest into making their own motors, they would rather put that money into Mazda now that they are finally prospering. I was thinking for a while that hydrogen would be the future of vehicles because that would truly be low emissions, but it really seems like mazda is paving the future these days.

This is exactly why ford invested into Mazda back then. Hell, Mazda was already basically dead, and ford took a major risk investing whatever they had into a dying brand but they did it because they knew Mazda had some of the best engine technology and designs coming out of japan, they just never had the money, production power and marketing efforts to make it happen like ford can. I remember back in the 90’s mazda has big plans with a luxury brand called Amati meant to fight the Germans and other Japanese competitors with brilliant V8 and V12 designs but they just didn’t have the money to make it happen. the partnership worked out quite well for both brands. Now that mazda finally has the money to do what they want, Tesla and mazdas competition is sitting up and taking notice.

And see What Mazda is doing these days? They are blending economy and luxury into one to not only maximize profits, but snatch away buyers looking for full fledged luxury with the CX-9 signature.

Oh and the best part? In the midst of mazdas new found success, our friend Mango is suspiciously nowhere to be found.

Cheers, everyone

The biggest reason Mazda is doing so well right now is that they got rid of the Ford monkey that was on their back.

+1
Feed Oil Repair Daily
Fix On Race Day

Over here main saying is Found On Rubbish Dumps

Anyways don't think there will be too much more info on SkyActiv III as they need to promote SkyActiv X (II)

Last edited:
The biggest reason Mazda is doing so well right now is that they got rid of the Ford monkey that was on their back.

Mazda wouldnt of even been around if it wasnt for ford using their tech and therefore increasing production figures, but luckily the two companies split before Ford got a chance to ruin Mazda, so you are right.

+1
Feed Oil Repair Daily
Fix On Race Day

Over here main saying is Found On Rubbish Dumps

Anyways don't think there will be too much more info on SkyActiv III as they need to promoted SkyActiv X (II)

The best one is probably Found On Road Dead, lol

Mazda wouldn’t of even been around if it wasn’t for ford using their tech and therefore increasing production figures, but luckily the two companies split before Ford got a chance to ruin Mazda, so you are right.

The best one is probably Found On Road Dead, lol

That is likely true. Mazda really hung their hat on the rotary engine and between that and the Ford association I never before considered them. I did own a Ford Ranger a long time ago. It had the 2.8 V6. It did run over 100k but it was in the shop 3-4 times a year for various things. Blowing ECUs was a common issue. Why I kept it so long I will never understand but after that experience I have purchased only Japanese brands and have enjoyed not spending time with the mechanics.

Latest posts

Back